Main Menu

1970 Challenger Restomod

Started by ToxicWolf, January 19, 2017, 12:43:13 PM

Previous topic Next topic

ToxicWolf

Many of you are familiar with this restoration.  I just wanted to start a new thread here for the completion of the project.

This is the car we started with.  Okay, that's not completely true.  This is the car after the FIRST restoration that Mark orchestrated.  He then made a mistake.  He gave me two magazines to take home and read. Both had covers that discussed the 50th anniversary of the hemi. I took the magazines home and read them while sitting next to my lovely wife while she watched television. I was really impressed with the hemi engine so I looked at her and said "Dear, is it okay if I put a hemi in the Challenger?" She of course said "Sure dear. Go ahead."

I immediately went to my computer and sent Mark an email telling him I wanted to start the restoration all over again and put a hemi in it. This of course meant stripping the car to bare metal and starting from scratch.

The next morning Mark sat down with a nice hot cup of coffee and opened the email. He read it and I'll let your imagination come up with what happened next.

He was, as always, wonderful to me and we started from scratch.

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Roadman

Cuda Cody

Hold on a second....   back up a bit.  You and Mark restored the car twice?   :drunk:  I'm not sure I fully understand?  Talk me through this  :please:

ToxicWolf

Yes, we restored it twice.  That car above became this.

anlauto

Okay...I was thinking Mark Worman or something....you have to forgive me...Although I participate on these web sites I don't always pay attention....things I read yesterday have already left the building if you know what I mean :drunk: 
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

ToxicWolf

Quote from: anlauto on January 19, 2017, 01:11:48 PM
Okay...I was thinking Mark Worman or something....you have to forgive me...Although I participate on these web sites I don't always pay attention....things I read yesterday have already left the building if you know what I mean :drunk:

Actually Alan, you are a big part of the reason I decided to do this.  I knew almost nothing about restoring a car when I first contacted Mark about working on it.  I closely followed your work and agree with you that to really restore a car you need to strip it to bare metal.  After the first work on the car we discovered rust in the low areas where you usually find it on these cars.  I had learned so much from everybody around here I had to go back and do it right.  This was not Marks fault.  He tried to talk me out of it, but there was no hope for that.   :veryexcited:

Roadman

Quote from: Cuda Cody on January 19, 2017, 12:52:57 PM
Hold on a second....   back up a bit.  You and Mark restored the car twice?   :drunk:  I'm not sure I fully understand?  Talk me through this  :please:

We started out swapping the auto for a 5 speed, redoing the A/C, new interior, etc. Then went into the HEMI mode. Been a long journey. Hoping to bring her to Carlisle. 

Cuda Cody

WOW, sounds like a long journey that will end up in a very happy place!   :please: bring it to Carlisle!  I want to see it in person.   :clapping:

blown motor

I've been to Mark's shop twice. That's where Jim's car lives. The written version of this story pales in comparison to hearing them tell it! And the car sounds even more insane than it looks. If they bring it to Carlisle you're in for a treat.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

ToxicWolf

Here are some shots of the hemi we put in it.  It was built by "For Hemis Only" with aluminum block, heads and intake.

Cuda Cody

BEAST MODE ACTIVATED!   :lookatthat:  Some big numbers!!!!!

Brads70

Wow your going to need better tires!  :D

ToxicWolf

Quote from: Brads70 on January 19, 2017, 04:22:02 PM
Wow your going to need better tires!  :D

And a lot of them.  :woohoo: