Main Menu

1970 Challenger RT/SE 29 years and counting

Started by Bobbydodge, June 07, 2021, 08:26:59 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Bobbydodge

Hello,I have a 1970 RT/SE go mango with a white vinyl top and white bumble bee strip.non numbers matching 383 A/T. I paid $2500 for it complete but in pieces.
I've had this car for 29 years,it's been put on the back burner many times.a guy who I met in 1982 at work(Gulfsteam aerospace) in Savannah Ga,we both were machinist.he had a 70 TA.he ended up leaving GAC and opening up a restoration shop.the floor pans and trunk were replaced before he came and picked it up many years after leaving GAC.the 1st picture is as it was when he picked it up.I was one of his 1st customers,and knowing him personally I knew he was very meticulous,as most machinist are.As you will see when I got it back from him in 2009 it was a rust free shell.He knows(or did at the time)some guys from AMD which is near his shop.we ate lunch with these guys one day,and I went in the warehouse at AMD and pick my sheetmetal. That was in 2008.they wanted to use my car to test fit some new fenders.I'll post some pictures of them later.

Cuda_mark

Very nice. Good to see you have the rear window plug and window!! That is a killer color combo too.

I'm assuming the interior is also white to match the top and bumble bee stripe?

Shoooter

It's amazing how a little sheet metal changes the looks drastically.  Can't wait to see more.

750-h2

Nice car! Welcome from Northern Ontario Canada.

Bobbydodge

These are the guys from AMD,test fitting their fender.I'm reusing my fenders and doors.their fender is the one in black primer.they threw in a set of door hinges for me letting them use my car.that was in 2008
Also since you brought it up here is a shot of the window plug after I did some fiberglass repair.I know bondo would have filled in the gaps,but I'm not that guy.
The interior came black,and for financial reasons will stay that way

headejm

Good luck and keep us posted with lots of photos!

How do you plan on filling the indentations in the rear window plug (where the screws are)? I tried to do mine the way the factory did, struggled through more than one vinyl top, then bondo'd the plug in. I would recommend doing that way the first time. Good body filler like Rage Gold is easy to work with.

Bobbydodge

I was going to bondo it.I thought that's how it came from the factory.of course I wouldn't think you would want to fill it all at once.my brother is my paint guy,so I was going to let him worry about it.

headejm

The factory did not bondo in the rear window plug. They used a kind of gauze-like fabric that no one makes anymore. I tried some felt-like material and some rubber mat type material but I wasn't happy with either of them. I believe bondo is the way to go. It just makes removing the window plug very difficult but I figured I would never have to remove it.  :cheers:

Bobbydodge

FYI-I am by no means financially wealthy.having said that I will tell you that patients has been my friend.my wife is very budget minded,and I'm ok with that,so my overtime money has always been my play money unless something unforeseen occurs.over the 27 years I have saved my money until I had enough to do whatever was next on the list.The 1st thing I bought was this taillight and reverse light assembly for $375 out of hemmings motor news before the internet was invented.I called the guy on a land line.felt convenient enough after talking to the guy that I mailed him a check,then he shipped the lights.

Bobbydodge

powder coated my suspension,new in line tube fuel lines(2 lines1 return for EFI)in line tube complete brake line kit,Complete M&H wiring harness.generic 4 wheel disc brake kit,hotchkis Suspension,vintage air.sent my rallye cluster out for complete calibration,and refaced.all new glass from AMD.bumper have been rechromed.TTI headers and complete  3" exhaust system.I rebuilt the steering column using Cuda Cody's how-to video.

Stay tuned more to come

1 Wild R/T

Looking great!! Purists?  Who cares??  It's your car, build it your way.... At least it's getting done...And by the looks of things it's getting done very well....   :cheers:

Chryco Psycho

Cuda_mark

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on June 07, 2021, 07:35:28 PM
Looking great!! Purists?  Who cares??  It's your car, build it your way.... At least it's getting done...And by the looks of things it's getting done very well....   :cheers:

I agree. If that's the way you want the car done, I say have at it. You will be happy to have the 4 wheel discs and the suspension upgrades will make it more enjoyable on the street. I like the way you are doing it.

cudamadd

:welcome: To The home of the ebody  great to have you here , Nice project 27 years is a long time but it looks like it's moving along well .cheers  :australia:

Smallblock340

:welcome: to the site from Netherlands!
Looking great! Good luck and keep us posted! :twothumbsup:
Maurice

1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye E55 727A in Bright Blue Metallic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBG3SAJE_NQ