Main Menu

1970 Challenger RT/SE 29 years and counting

Started by Bobbydodge, June 07, 2021, 08:26:59 AM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Bobbydodge

I think adding theses will help with the handling

Bobbydodge

I did some fiberglass repair on the headliner.I used the good side cutout for the sun visors to make a pattern (mirror image)to use to trim the repair .as you will see I like to test fit things.I have never been this far into a restoration,and most of this stuff I didn't take apart.thats why I love this forum

Bobbydodge

My old sail panels had seen better days.when I made these I don't think they had a reproduction.If they did I didn't know. I made them from 3/16" fiberboard (like cardboard only fiberglass used a lot in aviation)I used my old sail panels to shape the contour.you see where I made a series of cuts on one side of the panel to allow it to bent.then I fiberglassed over it so it would hold that shape.I did sand the roughness off the fiberglass for a smooth enough surface.the material that used on the headliner has a 1/8" foam backing,which should help smooth things out

Bobbydodge

I purchased a cheap($550+)plastic core dash pad that I ruined trying to get my a/c vents to fit with a heat gun.I should have returned it.so I then decided to just buy a $150 plastic cover type.I still had my original pad that I used to mount it on.Sorry I didn't take any detailed pictures of mounting the aftermarket speakers or where I filled in,and sanded low areas using spray foam.I had to use a heat gun to get the vents to set in flush.maybe later I can justify spending more $ on a good quality pad.for now this will roll

Bobbydodge

Vent repair. A 1993 ram d250 donated a vent fin that I modified to work.I also had fab a tab for the pull push door control. I fabricated the tab out of a similar type of plastic.if you notice it on the drill bit I left small tabs to use as a base to bond to.Of course I had to totally remove the old one.the center fin isn't correct,but it works

Bobbydodge

The guts of my overhead light fixture was missing,I had a few regular light fixtures with the wiring harness. I also found out that the sport fury lens would work if I did this.epoxy and foil tape is what I used to bond it together.It won't have a switch on the light fixture as original,but it will work.

Bobbydodge

Test fitting a few things

Bobbydodge

My brother is my painter,he sprayed the underside of car, firewalls, door jams,bottom of hood,trunk ect.plans are to get it together,get it running,and then spray the outside.

xx88man

Awesome car.... You do nice work with what you can afford. I'm in that boat too except working on a drivable car instead of a restoration
Keep yer foot in it

Bobbydodge

I've been working on straightening,and polishing the stainless trim.I've never done this before,but I watched a few videos.practice and patience.I also freshened up the grill.I had to drill the holes in the new quarters and roof shell,plus I wanted to test fit the trim before final paint

Tony 73

Great thread, awesome car.

You are mastering all the skills too. Keep it up.

Bobbydodge

I used u-pol raptor bed liner as an undercoating.I've used this product before,good stuff

ebodyproducts

That looks awesome, I'm gonna do that my 70 Cuda after seeing this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
E-Body Products
www.ebodyproducts.com
606-481-9014

Bobbydodge

Quote from: ebodyproducts on August 29, 2021, 05:18:32 PM
That looks awesome, I'm gonna do that my 70 Cuda after seeing this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you wear glasses,use an old pair because they will be ruined after this.
Apply 1st coat ensuring good coverage,stay further away on the 2nd coat for more texture.
Make sure everything is masked off good,this stuff gets everywhere