Main Menu

1970 Challenger SE - Massive restoration

Started by BAM, January 24, 2021, 03:36:39 AM

Previous topic Next topic

BAM

Hello all,

My name is Alex, writing from sunny Cyprus island.

I have a 1970 dodge challenger bought about 6 years ago. So far, I didn`t do much quality work on it, except cut part of the rotten bits which were a lot!

The car has been converted to RHD by the previous owner, the roof cut out to become a red neck convertible, the engine and gearbox swapped with some mercedes ones.

Now, the car is in a proper garage for body work. I`m attaching some photos from the day i bought it till today and i`ll come back asking for help regarding some parts and upgrades.

BAM

Now, the car is sandblasted, roof structure repaired and reattached to the body and new AMD metal starts to go on it.

BAM

Most of the new parts needed immediately are in! Unfortunately, when it takes 4 months to have them delivered, we also get some damaged stuff.

All seats power washed and put into storage until new foam and covers is coming.

BAM

The car originally had a 318 and A904 gearbox which i purchased (period correct - same year and month). Can someone point to a detailed article on getting some power out of the 318?

Also, I`m looking for a complete brake pedal assembly, parking brake assembly and a complete disk brake conversion kit if anyone can help with some info on that.

Cuda Cody

Welcome to the forum @BAM    :welcome:  Very neat project you have.   It's hard to do a project like that here in the states, but you have it a little harder than most.  @MoparDave  will be a great connection for parts and help for you.  He can get you pretty much anything you need for that car (except maybe more HP out of a 318)  Talk to @Chryco Psycho  about the more HP out of the 318.

Moprr

I have a brake pedal assembly for an auto, but all the way in Canada shipping would probably be high.

anlauto

Rarely do I agree with someone comes on here and says "they have a massive project" , but HOLY CRAP MAN !!!!...THAT'S A MASSIVE PROJECT :o :o :o

Welcome to our site, lots of great info and parts connections here, and you're commended on taking on such a project, it's great to see another one saved :worship: :worship: :clapping: :clapping: :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Chryco Psycho

Welcome to the site from Panama  :wave:
That is a serious undertaking to repair that Challenger !! Awesome that you are willing  to do it !
318s were designed to be anemic , just a reliable workhorse , , they are basically the same as the 340 with 22 less CI all because of the bore size so think 340 , you need forged flat top pistons but creating 10:1 compression & good heads preferably with closed chambers to create quench , the best production heads are the 87-92 302 or 308 castings , matched with a good cam & Intake & it will make some great power !
Another option to look at is a stroker kit , for similar cost to rebuilding the crank & rods + replacing pistons is to just buy a new kit , this will get you past 400 CI & provide better piston options for good compression , this would be my first choice building a 318 , add a 340 windage tray & select a good cam which I can help with to match the build .
Aftermarket heads would be a good choice as well , the W2 series heads are the best for power but hugely expensive , stay away from Eddy heads the quality is poor .
Just checking , Mancini lists only the Eddy head for LA engines , no other option not even W2 !! :Thud:
Indy doesn't even show  pictures of their heads so you cannot see the combustion chamber shape.
There seems to be a huge hole in the market for a decent LA head !

RUNCHARGER

Welcome from Canada. Good job on everything so far, I have full confidence you can do it judging by what has been done. 318's are a great engine, the fast way home is to turbocharge it but converting it to 1992 and up Magnum heads is a good way to make them efficient. I bought a new 1992 Dodge truck with a 318 Magnum and it was 3 seconds faster in the 1/4 mile than my 1986 318 Dodge truck was.
Sheldon

JS29

Brads70

Welcome from Canada! Wow that's a serious project!  Hats off to you for tackling this one!

YellowThumper

Welcome to the site.
Glad you came over here from the "other" site.
I was following your build for years and have been wondering about your progress since the site went bad.

Please keep us updated.
Good luck with sourcing the remaining parts necessary.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

BAM

Quote from: Moprr on January 24, 2021, 07:25:53 AM
I have a brake pedal assembly for an auto, but all the way in Canada shipping would probably be high.

Maybe you can get a shipping quotation for Cyprus, Limassol 4042. Thank you!

BAM

Thank you all for welcoming.

I don`t see it as a VERY VERY complicated project as we are changing basically everything on it  :)

Just sourced some more parts such as trunk lid, RT hood, rear valance, dashboard frame, overhead console, all OEM from UK so i`m saving some $$ on shipping but paying 3x for the parts  :D

R/T's 4 R/P

You should coordinate with the gentleman from Italy working on the 71 six pack Challenger. (Antonelli) I'm sure he's shipping items to that neck of the woods, too.
70 R/T 440 6 Pack
70 T/A
70 SE R/T 383
2015 SRT