Main Menu

1970 'Cuda Restoration Plan

Started by cashmoneyerick, December 20, 2017, 05:21:48 PM

Previous topic Next topic

cashmoneyerick

Hello everyone,

I've had my 'Cuda for a little over a year now, but really haven't done anything to it (I've been paying it off, got it with a loan), but hope to be done in about 2 months.
Unfortunately, the 'Cuda needs the majority of its body restored (floor panels, trunk, quarter panels, possibly the firewall, frame-rails, etc.). It does run though, but the engine definitely needs some work done to it (it has a 340, not matching numbers with the rest of the car). I still haven't been able to register the car in California, because I purchased it in Nevada and they need to perform a vehicle inspection. Hopefully as soon as I'm done paying it off, I can invest the little money I have to get whatever it needs to pass the vehicle inspection.

If I'm successful in registering it, I will try and get a loan to do the body work. Any body know somewhere near the SF Bay Area, how much I may be looking at say if it were a total restoration? I want to get an idea how much I need to save/ take out on a loan in the future? I would love to learn how to do body work and do it myself if anyone here knows how?

I'm not the most knowledgeable person's when it comes to cars. I've done very little so far to the car, in the other forum (cuda-challenger), Mopar Jack was very helpful and came out to help me get my headlights to work (if you read this Jack, sorry I haven't been in touch I will contact you soon to see if your still available to help me with the Cuda, got caught up in other things and havent been able to work on it since).

In the end I would love to have everything original except for a modern engine in the car, possibly one of those new hellcrate engines, but thats years from now, if I can fix the body, the 340 will have to do in the meantime.

Anybody have some thoughts on where to start, how should I plan this restoration, especially if they did it on a budget? :D
I'm a newbie and the more information really helps. Few pics to see the car. Thanks a lot!!

RUNCHARGER

First and foremost is safety. You will need to check those framerails and other structual issues and correct them and then progress onto the brakes, steering and suspension.
Sheldon

Rich G.

Good luck with your project but I hate to say it but restoring a Cuda especially with everything you say it needs, I hope when you say on a budget it's a very big budget!

Chryco Psycho

Welcome , Glad you joined up ! :wave:
depends on the condition of the car , but usually strip the car completely , get the metakl work fixed up & while the body & paint are being redone work through each component individually , so it is all ready to go back in after you get the body completed

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

kdcarman

Hello Bigmoneyrick,

What is your expectation regarding budget required to complete the car?

fc7cuda

Just take it slow and work at your pace and on your budget.  It may take awhile, but you'll be very proud when done.  :alan2cents:

nsmall

Im not trying to trick you or sound crazy, but when it comes to money to bring it back to original and to do it right...media blast and body work and paint and new parts and so on...I am going to go with 45k to complete the car.  Just a rough guess.  If you dont have the money now, maybe this could become a very long project. 

Any way you can just fix the mechanical issues and enjoy the car as is?

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: nsmall on December 21, 2017, 08:22:34 AM
Im not trying to trick you or sound crazy, but when it comes to money to bring it back to original and to do it right...media blast and body work and paint and new parts and so on...I am going to go with 45k to complete the car.  Just a rough guess.  If you dont have the money now, maybe this could become a very long project. 

Any way you can just fix the mechanical issues and enjoy the car as is?

Sounds a little low, in my opinion, especially if the work is being farmed out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

nsmall

@GoodysGotaCuda   Okay, so how about 50k and no hellcrate?  @cashmoneyerick I would recommend doing a lot of research before you jump into this.

Lots of people begin and dont finish and then have to sell their project at a loss.  I dont want that to happen to you. 

Chryco Psycho

I personally would pay yourself first & skip the loan , your money will go further without paying interest on it .
body & paint can be brutally expensive , better to do as much as you can yourself too

70cudaFun

Hey Cashmoneyrick

A good place to start is with a list of parts you plan on changing on the Cuda, then shopping for prices on those parts.  Mopar parts are not cheap by any means compared to a Chevy or Ford, etc.  Once you have an idea of part prices, figure out what you can and cannot do yourself.  Then get prices on the work you need done such as motor rebuild, paint, interior.  Add it all up and decide if you are okay with spending that amount +10 % for miscellaneous runs to the parts store.  I'm in the middle of restoring one and nothing ends up being cheap, especially if you want quality parts. 60k or so is where you should end up with most builds and probably a few years to complete it if you take your time.  You can buy one for 60k and save yourself the time and work unless you truly enjoy restoring yourself like many of the guys here.

Hope this helps and good luck!  :cheers:

CudaMoparRay

Welcome from Sylmar,CA and the best wishes for you on your car restoration

303 Mopar

Quote from: anlauto on December 21, 2017, 04:10:15 AM
Get a really big loan  :alan2cents:

Na, just getting running and drive it like that!  :banana:

nsmall

Quote from: 70cudaFun on December 22, 2017, 12:09:09 AM
Hey Cashmoneyrick

A good place to start is with a list of parts you plan on changing on the Cuda, then shopping for prices on those parts.  Mopar parts are not cheap by any means compared to a Chevy or Ford, etc.  Once you have an idea of part prices, figure out what you can and cannot do yourself.  Then get prices on the work you need done such as motor rebuild, paint, interior.  Add it all up and decide if you are okay with spending that amount +10 % for miscellaneous runs to the parts store.  I'm in the middle of restoring one and nothing ends up being cheap, especially if you want quality parts. 60k or so is where you should end up with most builds and probably a few years to complete it if you take your time.  You can buy one for 60k and save yourself the time and work unless you truly enjoy restoring yourself like many of the guys here.

Hope this helps and good luck!  :cheers:

You nailed it.  That's excellent advice.  Just like you said, save and buy one done unless you want to do the restoration yourself.