Main Menu

1970 FC7 Rubber Bumper 340 4 Speed Cuda.

Started by Mymcodebee, March 05, 2018, 10:05:59 AM

Previous topic Next topic

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

Mymcodebee

Thanks! The day went great. 

GCragtop

Chryco Psycho

bluespruce

Looking good, bet you can't wait to start putting parts back on

xx88man

Ohhhh man that's looking good. I'm jealous!   :bradsthumb: 
Keep yer foot in it

Mymcodebee

Couldn't help it...   had to pull it out if the booth..   he has every part detailed and ready to install so should fly together!   He can't wait! 

dodgemania

Mymcodebee

And out in the sun.  Keep forgetting how much metallic is in FC7!

bluespruce

Mymcodebee

Me and Alan were speaking of the "new purple" which is on the new Challengers.  I am not sure what the formulation is on that purple however there are many variables with the new paint processes that would make our old cars look different compared to new cars even if we had the same formulation.  Heated booths, water based base coats etc.   

I can tell you the process of the Cuda were doing.
The base is a Dupont mix of whatever the factory FC7 formulation is.
The only thing we did different is use a black sealer covered with three coats of purple.   The purple covers the black sealer very easy and is what's giving it a much darker appearance in shadowed and garage lighting. 
We then added two very wet on wet coats of clear.
It's getting two more coats of clear this weekend. 
We are dry sanding the clear this week with 800 grit and reshooting on Friday or Saturday.  The hood is already done with four coats.

Typically we always wet sand to at least 3000 grit and 5000 on black cars then polish and polish and polish some more.  It really sucks but is typically necessary as I don't really care for orange peel. 

However my buddy who owns this car had our friend paint this car for him at my shop.  He has actually painted the last three cars in our shop and now has his own Challenger that he will be restoring at the shop. 
He paints for a living everyday at a Dodge dealership locally in Auburn, ME.   
I think I can paint pretty well doing many cars over the years however after watching a painter that has had a gun in his hand everyday for the last 30 years paint I quickly realized there is a lot to learn still.  He does things that just come second nature to him and floats around the car like a well oiled machine.  So with the amount of metallic in this paint I was very happy he was spraying this Cuda!
Here is Marc Lyons prepping prior to clear! :cheers:

anlauto

Is this a water based paint ? If so, can you get the mix formula and if @ErikR likes it, I'll just get the same formula mixed up here.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

Mymcodebee

Quote from: anlauto on April 23, 2018, 12:14:42 PM
Is this a water based paint ? If so, can you get the mix formula and if @ErikR likes it, I'll just get the same formula mixed up here.

No this is the old school mix from 1970. 
We have not tried water base up here yet.  Our buddy the painter wants to try it on his Challenger as he said it is way easier to work with.

anlauto

Oh...well there goes that idea....We can't get anything but water based here in Ontario now.... :crying: So your mix code won't matter...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration