Main Menu

1971 Cuda B5 Blue 340

Started by 82firebird, April 27, 2018, 06:54:52 AM

Previous topic Next topic

82firebird

Not really a "restoration" but I have been doing some things on this car so I thought I would make a thread dedicated to it. We bought this car in December of 2014. The person we bought it from did not have a lot of history on the car unfortunately and had acquired it through a deal which several other cars were purchased. We actually looked at the car the day he bought it but it was out of our price range so we had to pass. He had the car for almost 2 years longer and it just sat. Finally we made a deal and took it home. The car has been restored and has a numbers matching engine. Other than that, it is a very basic original 3 speed car which now sports a shaker hood (original shaker assembly) and 4 speed transmission.

The very first thing we did was replace the "bigs and littles" with new 15x7 rallye wheels and more appropriate 235/245 tires.

JS29

:perfect10:  What engine dose it have?

82firebird

New wheels and tires.

82firebird

My wife and I installed the billboards and we only messed up 1 quarter panel decal. We tried to fix a few bubbles and finally ended up just pulling it off. Overall it turned out very nice.

82firebird

The acid-filled battery had to go. I replaced it with a TurboStart Restoration battery and replaced quite a few hoses, wires, clips and hardware under the hood. While this car is not "OE gold" I do like my cars to atleast look the part.

82firebird

During the first summer, I drove the car alot. Every time it wasn't raining I had it out. I easily put 1,000+ miles on it and just got to know the car. Towards the end of the season the water pump went out so while I was replacing it, I had my dad build me a new alternator to replace the square back that was on it. He has had an alternator shop since the 60's so he has many, many cores. We found a "70" stamped case and he built it for me. I did the final detail.

superdave

:yes: Very nice. Is the Challenger yours as well? What did you say your dad's contact info is? ::)  8) probably someone on hefe that could use that service.

82firebird

Quote from: superdave on April 27, 2018, 07:37:52 AM
:yes: Very nice. Is the Challenger yours as well? What did you say your dad's contact info is? ::)  8) probably someone on hefe that could use that service.

We sold the Challenger after we bought the Cuda. It was an original 318 car but was very very nice. It was our first E body. We found it local for $21,000 and drove the wheels off of it. It had a 440/727. Sometimes I miss it.

My dad is: Miller's Generator Service in Uniontown, OH 44685. 330-499-9768 LOL One day we will go through his cores and sort everything out, until then I guess it is my personal stash.  :cooldance:

Cuda Cody

GrandpaKevin

Beautiful 'Cuda! :twothumbsup:

Maybe I will see it at a local cruise in this summer  :cheers:

82firebird

Quote from: GrandpaKevin on April 27, 2018, 08:55:34 AM

Where are you located?

The semi-gloss black shaker bubble and taillight panel have always bothered me but lately they have been driving me nuts. I ordered some Organisol from Totally Auto and have been working on this. Yesterday I painted the bubble and today I have been working on the taillight panel.

340challconvert

Nice Nice Cuda
Luv the color :ohyeah:

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

GrandpaKevin

Quote from: 82firebird on April 27, 2018, 09:14:46 AM
Quote from: GrandpaKevin on April 27, 2018, 08:55:34 AM

Where are you located?

The semi-gloss black shaker bubble and taillight panel have always bothered me but lately they have been driving me nuts. I ordered some Organisol from Totally Auto and have been working on this. Yesterday I painted the bubble and today I have been working on the taillight panel.

I'm down in Massillon.

The wife and I haven't been to too many local cruise in for awhile but we might be going to some this summer...where are the good ones?

82firebird

Quote from: GrandpaKevin on April 27, 2018, 09:46:56 AM
I'm down in Massillon.

The wife and I haven't been to too many local cruise in for awhile but we might be going to some this summer...where are the good ones?

No kidding! You are just down the road. Gervasi has a very nice cruise on Wednesdays and Maize Valley (Hartville) is where we can be found Thursday. Monday night is up in Cuyahoga Falls and while it is not quite what it once was.. there are still quite a few cars that come out. Hope to run into you, say hi if you see me.

GrandpaKevin

Quote from: 82firebird on April 27, 2018, 11:04:44 AM
Quote from: GrandpaKevin on April 27, 2018, 09:46:56 AM
I'm down in Massillon.

No kidding! You are just down the road. Gervasi has a very nice cruise on Wednesdays and Maize Valley (Hartville) is where we can be found Thursday. Monday night is up in Cuyahoga Falls and while it is not quite what it once was.. there are still quite a few cars that come out. Hope to run into you, say hi if you see me.

Will do, I always keep an eye out for Mopars at the shows.

Years ago the wife and I went to the Monday shows at Cuyahoga Falls and Wednesdays at Gervasi's.
We would go to Winks on Saturday occasionally many times riding our motorcycles.

Hopefully we will be out in one, or both of our Challengers but I have been thinking about another bike too......