Main Menu

1971 R/T 383 Engine Detailing

Started by gpm6367, October 08, 2020, 11:46:36 PM

Previous topic Next topic

gpm6367

I'm finally getting around to doing some detailing in my engine bay. It includes correct hoses, clamps, carburetor, fuel line, battery cables, ignition wires and wire looms.

Looking for a detailed photos of restored and unrestored engine bays to follow along. Picture is worth 1000 words. Thanks in advance.

gpm6367

No pictures of a 383 engine bay?

Looking for proper ignition wire routing, fuel line, pcv routing and hoses, etc...

JS29

To avoid confusion you are referring to a mopar 383, Not a small block chevy like what you have pictured in your image correct?  :pokeeye: 

Cuda Cody

@gpm6367   this is a 1970 and it's not 100% correct, but pretty close.

JH27N0B

This is a '70 and an AC car, which I don't know if your car is, but this restoration was one of the top ones ever done on a 383 car, and I'm sure that a lot didn't change between 70 and 71.
https://www.moparaction.com/2016/03/16/pop/
Mopar Action has pictures of a unrestored T/A that Frank Badelson owns, and the under hood pictures that Mopar Action had were invaluable to me when detailing my cars engine compartment.

anlauto

Dave W's white Challenger is actually a 440 car, but we get the idea...a lot of the same details... :)
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

anlauto

Here's MY interpretation of a correct appearing 1971 383.

I'm not going to stand on a soap box and claim everything is 100% OE correct, but I think it looks the part  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

anlauto

Here's a 1970 383....it only looks stock....It's actually a stroker motor with aluminum heads and intake and an aftermarket carb... :D

gpm6367

:rubeyes:
Quote from: anlauto on October 13, 2020, 08:40:40 AM
Here's MY interpretation of a correct appearing 1971 383.

I'm not going to stand on a soap box and claim everything is 100% OE correct, but I think it looks the part  :alan2cents:

Awesome, but do U have any with air cleaner removed?

How are the ignition wires ran? Where are the looms mounted?

I need a 71 air cleaner too...

anlauto

@gpm6367 Sorry, these are the only pictures of a 1971 383 that I have. :rubeyes:

I do have an extra air cleaner but shipping to NJ would be crazy... :thumbdown:

gpm6367

Quote from: anlauto on October 16, 2020, 06:13:28 AM
@gpm6367 Sorry, these are the only pictures of a 1971 383 that I have. :rubeyes:

I do have an extra air cleaner but shipping to NJ would be crazy... :thumbdown:

Ok, that's the first I've seen ignition wires run over the top of motor.

Where should ignition wires be and where are looms located?

I need a heat riser for exhaust manifold and a choke! Repopped? Where should I get them?

How much for air cleaner? Condition?

DeathProofCuda

It's only wire to the #8 cylinder that runs over the top.  The original valve covers have tabs welded onto them to hold this wire away from the valve cover and intake.  This wire runs down along the back of the passenger side valve cover to access the spark plug behind the collector section of the exhaust manifold.

anlauto

Buy the plug wire loom kit, the instructions are pretty clear on where everything goes as far as plug wires.
https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/product/plug-wire-loom-kits-1970-71-big-block/

I would want at least $300 USD for the air cleaner shipped. it's in nice shape but would need to be restored.

Skdmark

Depending on how far you want to take things with the OEM look.
I would recommend having the MMC E-body fastener guide and judging manuals in your library.

https://shop.mmcdetroit.com/

Great compliments to the factory shop and parts manuals.
GG pocketbooks are also nice to have when hitting the swap meets.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

gpm6367

Ok, so at least I have the correct valve covers.

Where do I get a heat riser for exhaust manifolds? Reproduced?

What about that coil? Where do I get a repop?