Main Menu

1974 Challenger Restomod

Started by Dmod1974, December 08, 2019, 09:25:14 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Dmod1974

Quote from: soundcontrol on January 14, 2020, 01:30:00 AM
Nice to get inside the frame rails! I sand blasted and used 2k epoxy where I could get to them, (under the trunk floor) and the ones where I did not get to I found a great hard wirebrush with a long shaft, made for chimneys, fit the frame rails perfectly, then I used Eastwoods internal frame coating there. Got perfect coverage with their 360 nozzle, checked inside with a USB camera.

I actually ran through my first 3 cans of that stuff coating the LH side rails, torque boxes, rockers, subframe connector, tank straps. wheelhouse/1/4 hidden areas, and the torsion bar crossmember.  Need to order a bunch more for the other side and all of the hidden areas in the interior and roof area that I won't have access to.

Got the new floors welded in except for the rocker seam.  The trans tunnel butt weld sucked!  That metal is unbelievably thin and burns through so darn easy.  I had to fab up a tunnel hump to firewall flange section since the original one was smashed up and rusted.  Half of the tunnel will get ripped out and redone when I do the 6 speed conversion, so I'm not too upset if some of it is an eyesore right now.

I had a change of heart and opted to weld the firewall to floor and trans tunnel seams instead of using 3M adhesive.  The floor support brackets and the upcoming trans tunnel mods are going to have welding going on too close to the epoxy to survive.  I actually ended up scraping off and redoing (welding) the LH side since it came apart and must have been compromised when the floor support and splash panel welds were done. 

I'll use it again for the RH 1/4 panel and trunk extension to trunk floor seam though.  I  also plan on using it on a portion of the rocker bottom pinch weld area too, just like the driver side.  I bought 3M Impact Resistant Structural Adhesive for that (IRSA) since it is made for structural areas and I want maximum strength in that area, of course.  The front and rear where the 1/4 panel, splash panel, and torque boxes all attach will still be welded up as will the entire top pinch weld.

Next up, RH side subframe connector installation!

jimynick

LOL! Man, that one photo with the dead blow, wizzy wheel and Rolocs, vice grips and BFH tell a tale, eh?! Roll on laddie, you've got 'er on the ropes now!  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Dmod1974

Quote from: jimynick on January 18, 2020, 10:01:37 PM
LOL! Man, that one photo with the dead blow, wizzy wheel and Rolocs, vice grips and BFH tell a tale, eh?! Roll on laddie, you've got 'er on the ropes now!  :cheers:

Story.  Of.  My.  Life.  On this car!   :))  My garage will never be clean again with the amount of rust and abrasive dust I've created on this project.

The floors on this side were actually pretty easy.  The rear one pulled into place once screwed down, and the front needed just a little persuasion to fit close to the torsion bar crossmember where it bends up over the trans tunnel.

anlauto

Looking real good, I like the prep work inside the rails, etc... :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

YellowThumper

Currently welding in a floor for another project. Yes getting trans hump to align along with the rest is a pain.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Dmod1974

Finished up welding in the RH side subframe connector and getting all of the panel gaps as good as I can before starting on the quarter and rocker.  I'm pretty happy with the hood to fender gaps and front valance fitment.  The door gaps are as good as they'll get before I weld/grind the ends, which I'm not doing until I reskin the doors.

I ripped off the RH quarter panel too.

I stand corrected about this side being untouched!

Bondo worms!!!

Another pointless "patch"....

Dmod1974

Initial fitting of the new quarter panel.  So far, this side is going waaaay better than the other.  Pretty happy with the overall fitment and it seems to fit like a glove in most ways.

The door gaps are dead even.

I was able to get the flip top fitted with little drama.  Minor grinding of the flip top cap mounting pads was all that was required.

Hard to see, but the quarter seems to fit the OE trunk extension valance flange pretty well!

I do have similar issues with the panel contours on this side as well though.  I'll be pie cutting and grinding the flange and jamb pillar to fit better.

YellowThumper

Nice progress.
The second side comes with the knowledge learned on the first side...
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Dmod1974

Ripped out the old wheelhouse and fitted the new ones along with installing the trunk extension.

Also completed the frame notch and started welding up the mini tubbed wheelhouse too.

I'll grab some pics of the modified and hopefully installed wheelhouse tomorrow along with a better angle of the notched rail to show its impact.

soundcontrol

Did your trunk extension fit well? I'm still struggling with mine. Fits well towards the wheelhouse, trunk floor and the edge to the wheel opening on the quarter. But not good towards the quarter lower part (with the drain hole) and towards the rear valance.

Dmod1974

Quote from: soundcontrol on February 02, 2020, 07:04:40 AM
Did your trunk extension fit well? I'm still struggling with mine. Fits well towards the wheelhouse, trunk floor and the edge to the wheel opening on the quarter. But not good towards the quarter lower part (with the drain hole) and towards the rear valance.

This side, overall, is fitting up a lot better than the driver side did.  On the drivers side, I had to do some serious surgery to the quarter and trunk extension flanges to make the valance fit at all.  I still have some tweaking to do to perfect the valance flange on the passenger side, but I don't think it'll take more than some hammer and dolly work. 

I'm certainly not going to have to cut and reweld the flanges along with shaving the trunk extension down so it doesn't overhang the lower quarter seam.  Something was seriously off with the driver side extension.

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Dakota

I'll echo Alan's comment about the awesome work you're doing.  Panel replacements and body work at this level is practically a dark art for me as I lack the skill or experience to ever consider taking on a car project like yours.  Nice work.   :worship:

soundcontrol

Quote from: Dmod1974 on February 02, 2020, 07:26:28 AM
Quote from: soundcontrol on February 02, 2020, 07:04:40 AM

This side, overall, is fitting up a lot better than the driver side did.  On the drivers side, I had to do some serious surgery to the quarter and trunk extension flanges to make the valance fit at all.  I still have some tweaking to do to perfect the valance flange on the passenger side, but I don't think it'll take more than some hammer and dolly work. 

I'm certainly not going to have to cut and reweld the flanges along with shaving the trunk extension down so it doesn't overhang the lower quarter seam.  Something was seriously off with the driver side extension.

Same here, I have to cut it to fit, have not done it yet though. It doesn't even fit well on the quarter/valance with everything off the car. Hoping for a better fit on the right side.

Dmod1974

I managed to finish up mini tubbing and installing the new wheelhouses on the passenger side.  Go easy on my welds; I took these pics immediately after welding them in a hazy garage!  They look a lot better after they are wire wheeled to knock off the spatter and weld primer.

Modified trunk hinge bracket

Modified support bracket.

Modified package tray bracket

Here's a good view to give you an idea of the difference in width after tubbing.

Up next weekend: outer/inner rocker panel R&R!