Main Menu

70 Challenger (someday)

Started by Kewl_Wheels, January 28, 2018, 10:52:31 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Kewl_Wheels

Thanks guys,
Those lights are pretty sweet so far, I'll see how they hold up.on sale at harbor freight I figured at $5 each I'd take 2 probably should have got more, may go back. Little pocket flashlight also nice.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Kewl_Wheels

Power steering and almost power brakes...
Few more parts on order  And this thing may actually start, move, steer, and stop under its own power For the 1st time in probably 25-30 years at least.

CNUMB

WOW!!!  That is some amazing work!! Look forward to seeing the finished masterpiece... Love the color too...

Kewl_Wheels

Thanks!
While waiting on parts I was looking at more parts so since I was waiting I figured I'd order more, I don't think this will ever end. One part was the  Shifter linkage torque shaft. I  Ordered new bushings while I was at it and had it apart Then I was thinking about painting some pieces and looking at where the shaft rides on the bushing it was all chewed up about .040  Kind of hard to see in the pictures I  almost just painted it but I figured I might as well  Weld it up and re machine it to size for a nice fit. That was an unplanned project.

RUNCHARGER

That was a good idea. That's the reason the slap sticks don't adjust correctly sometimes.
Sheldon

Cudakiller70

Quote from: Kewl_Wheels on August 15, 2018, 03:16:28 PM

While waiting on parts I was looking at more parts so since I was waiting I figured I'd order more
:haha: love it! Truth right there!

Kewl_Wheels

Yeah a little paint and these should work nicely. Definitely worth the repair time and really not that bad to do,and I really couldn't see a reason to replace the bushings if the shaft was worn.

Kewl_Wheels

I'm beginning to think one of those powder coating systems might be the way to go for some of these small brackets and things Any thoughts on that or anybody know about what it might cost to have things like this powder coated?  And watch out for that,
too late... container of washer's

Kewl_Wheels

So who may know if replacement pigtails with sockets included are made for those?

Morty426

Quote from: RJChallenger on August 05, 2018, 10:21:01 AM
Awesome work your doing there.I get motivated just reading your post. Is that the original steering box to the car? I ask because I also owe a 70 challenger and have a steering box with a similar date code , I just spent $400 to rebuild it, only to learn it may not be original to the car. Thanks and keep up the awesome job.

That is not a 70 PS box.  It's late 1973 so I believe it uses the larger pitman arm. 

The steering column is also not 1970

Morty426

Cool build.

What paint did you use for the Plum Crazy?

Kewl_Wheels

Dupont chromabase single stage for the insides, someday the outside will get a basecoat/clearcoat.

The column is a 1973.

Timbbuc2

Quote from: Kewl_Wheels on August 17, 2018, 06:11:21 PM
I'm beginning to think one of those powder coating systems might be the way to go for some of these small brackets and things Any thoughts on that or anybody know about what it might cost to have things like this powder coated?  And watch out for that,
too late... container of washer's

Powder Coating is not expensive to get into. You can buy a gun from Eastwood or HF, I have both. Main thing is the oven, which you can pick up at a Thrift Store, I was lucky enough to get a laboratory oven when my company shut down,( Dont get me started on that) Powder can be bought at many different places. But you will need a blast cabinet or know what chemicals to use. I just use the blast cabinet.
Get in, I'll drive

Kewl_Wheels

Thanks timbbuc2

I have a blast cabinet that should work and for some reason today  I started looking at ovens.

I do have another question for you guys for some reason I'm thinking I should have a 3 pin neutral park starting switch Mine is only a single pin not sure what that's all about... any thoughts? I suppose it's a different year thing? It does work.
Here are some more photos just for fun. Let me know if you see anything really wrong.

Morty426

Yes you need a three pin.  The one pin is 69 and older.