Main Menu

70 Go Mango Challenger

Started by cudaragtop, April 21, 2018, 08:06:12 AM

Previous topic Next topic

cudaragtop

Starting a thread for the Challenger
Road trip to Vallejo CA 48 hours round trip with Dylan, truck, trailer and a pocket full of cash. 1700 mile RT.
As purchased.
The original owner was in the process of bringing the car back from years of sitting but not a full on nut/bolt restoration. Just wanted to save it to enjoy. Unfortunately he passed away some about 1-1/2 years ago leaving the car to his sister. A year and a half later she decided it was time to part with the car and get her 1 car garage back. In a small world I knew someone that knew someone that was related to the owner and next thing you know we are loading the car on my trailer headed home.

EK2 Go Mango Orange 1970 Challenger, 318, 904 AT, Console, Rallye Dash, Bucket Seats, 6 Way Manual Driver's Seat, Wilwood Front Disc Brakes, Power Steering, New Roof Skin, New Vinyl Top, New Paint, 18" Wheels, New Legendary Burnt Orange Upholstery, Hood Pins with Lanyards, Fender Mounted Turn Indicators, V5X Body Molding, New Gas Tank, New Front Suspension, New Front Sway Bar, New Tubular Upper Control Arms, New Leaf Springs, Vintage Air, New front and rear glass.

Now in its new home in Washington with Year of Issue Plate and permanent registration with no front plate required.

Going to fix a few things on the car. The Body is super straight with awesome paint. The new white vinyl top , the new seat covers, new carpet, interior panels, the body gaps are all very nicely done.
Dash, Dash Pad, Dash Frame, Ash Tray, Glove Box Door, Steering Column, Console, Kick Panels, Bumpers, Sill plates, Engine Paint and detailing, Engine Bay Paint and detailing, Trunk, Under side of the hood are all areas that need attention. Most are easy fix with the under hood and trunk looking to be the most work.
Starts, runs, drives stops great. Tracks straight. All of the gauges work and even the tick-tock clock keeps good time. missing the stock AM radio. Has an old Pioneer Cassette Deck. I like that the antenna hole was eliminated.
The original V5X was replaced with an aftermarket version that does not match the original profile and is riveted on so it will stay. It looks nice but those that know will recognise that it isn't the original side molding.
Still very cool unique car. Base model 318 with Rallye Dash and 6 way seat.
EK2, H6K4, V1W and V5X make it a 4 color car. Half Ring Horn is kind of rare too. Not crazy about the feel of the big diameter thin grip of the stock wheel... will definitely keep it but may change to a tuff wheel.
No plans to change the powerplant. Ideas swirling around in my head though. Always have had a desire for an A66 car... Maybe just dress the 318 in 340 clothes... Maybe a T/A hood with T/A front and rear spoilers...
Won't be until we finish the 69 Barracuda though.

I've started with the small easy stuff.
More to follow... 

- Randy D. 1970 'Cuda 340 4-Speed Convertible
69 Barracuda G3 Hemi/8HP70 Resto-Mod Project Album: https://goo.gl/photos/XjsAsx4LDo7psimU8

RUNCHARGER

Neat car and I like your plans for it. I would keep the 318 as well, maybe inject if you drive it a lot.
Sheldon

xx88man

That's a really nice driver! I love it   :wowzers:
Keep yer foot in it

Brads70

cudaragtop

Console with some fresh Duplicolor FP102 Red Oxide Primer. I have some Herb's Burnt Orange Interior Paint but I like the match of the Duplicolor so much I'm just going to use it instead.
Very close match to the original plastic. The bottom of the Console lid is original color just cleaned.
Has a few imperfections but for 48 years old it is in amazing shape. Had a wad of hard epoxy right on top in front... maybe had a Gauge, Hula girl or Crucifix... who knows but had to sand it off and with it some of the grain.

69 Barracuda G3 Hemi/8HP70 Resto-Mod Project Album: https://goo.gl/photos/XjsAsx4LDo7psimU8

cudaragtop

While the console is out... This got some attention.
New chrome Trim Plate and everything else disassembled cleaned, stripped and painted or polished and reassembled.
New shift knob ready to be installed after the console is back in place.

cudaragtop

Herbs Burnt Orange on a spare Black Steering Wheel Pad and Horn Button I had in a box.
I like it. A little more orange than the Duplicolor on the Console.
Still need to put the silver accent stripe on the Pad and Button.

ToxicWolf

Looks great.  My 70 Challenger is Go Mango too.  :banana:

cudaragtop

Stripped and painted the ashtray. Years of rust have left the tray with deep pitting but not going for perfection here.
More of the Duplicolor FP102 and VHT Silver Caliper Paint.
The caliper paint is not as much for color match as it is that there was just enough left in the can...

cudaragtop

Herb's Burnt Orange Paint on the Steering Wheel Pad and Button and Duplicolor FP102 on the Ashtray and console lid.
I like the subtle difference.
These cars interior colors never matched each other exactly.

Never painted a Wheel Pad before. What How... to apply the silver in the groove on the Pad and the outer ring of the Horn Button. Silver Paint Pen?

Will need to have a fairly small tip. Or paint with a small brush? I have lots of little paint brushes from years of Testors Model Paints...

cudaragtop

Some deliveries from the Big Brown Truck...

New AMD Front and Rear Bumpers.
New Rear Bumper Guards
New Front and Rear Rubber Bumper Pads
New Sill Plates
New Trunk Lid Bumpers (they were missing)

70/6chall

My Slant6 '70 Challenger is also Go-Mango EK2, no vinyl top tho. Great looking car, is it an early build car? Reason I ask is the horn ring on the steering wheel and no wood door insert trim. My original burnt orange interior (now black) did not have the wood door insert trim neither, as for my steering wheel maybe had a horn ring I don't know. I bought it with a Rim-blo wheel in it.

1 Wild R/T

Painting the groove in the horn pad.... One word.... Syringe..... Trust me.... Once you see how well it works maybe go find some emblems that need restoring... :D

Oh, did I mention Sweet Challenger!!!!

Chryco Psycho

anlauto

Did he put the seat belts on top of the carpet ? :looney:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration