Main Menu

'70 Hemi Challenger (SS/D and SS/DA car driven by Lee Cameron of Sacramento, CA)

Started by HemiStan, January 05, 2018, 02:17:25 PM

Previous topic Next topic

HemiStan

Hello everyone!

I acquired this car about five years ago and am now getting to the point that I would like to document the restoration of the car.   I figure this would be the best spot to do it.  This is my first E-body (I have mainly owned B-Bodies) and it has been a steep learning curve for me but I am starting to get it figured out.  I am sure that you folks will keep me straight!  Some of you may have seen this car floating around on the Internet over the past 10 years or so.  I first remember hearing about it years ago and thought "What a cool car!"  Little did I know that several years later I would own it.  It basically took everything I had to get it.  I had to trade a car, plus cash, plus parts to get it.  Sometimes I think I was crazy but it was probably the only way I was every going to get my hands on a real Hemi E-body.

As the title says, this is the '70 Hemi Challenger campaigned by Lee Cameron of Sacramento, CA on '70 and '71.  I have a bunch of photos/history of the car which I will put here for everyone to check out.  I have basically zero information on the car from '72-'76. It ended up at Dick Landy's shop where they did a bunch of work to it and then sent it to a customer in Hawaii. There is a picture of it in street trim in front of Landy's shop (in '77) in Geoff Stunkard's book titled "Landy's Dodges".

I still don't know which direction I am heading with it.  I highly doubt that I will ever do a 100% stock restoration.  I definitely appreciate those restorations but it really isn't my thing.  I am definitely a "period correct" "Day Two" type of person.   Maybe even a '70's style Street Machine.  Who knows....   Anyways, I hope you enjoy the photos.

Stan

HemiStan

Here's a few more:

Stan

Cuda Cody

What a super cool car!!!   :inlove:  Does @RzeroB  know about this car?  He's a wealth of knowledge.

HemiStan

Here's the receipts from Dick Landy Industries as well as an article from '77 (although the article from '77 doesn't seem to be super accurate in describing the car).

Stan

HemiStan

Quote from: Cuda Cody on January 05, 2018, 02:21:31 PM
What a super cool car!!!   :inlove:  Does @RzeroB  know about this car?  He's a wealth of knowledge.

Hello Cody!  I am not for sure if he know about the car or not.  I really haven't spoken to too many folks about the car but I figured here would be the place to get information from the "masters"!

Stan

HemiStan

Here are a few photos from when it was discovered in Hawaii and when I picked it up in Missouri.

Stan

HemiStan

Here is some build sheet and fender tag info.  As you can see, the Hawaii salt air did not treat the fender tags well but they are very legible.  Somehow, a major portion of the build sheet actually survived!  Thanks to Cody and everyone that put the Build Sheet Decoder together!  What a very cool tool!

Stan

Cuda Cody

The amount of history you have with the car is amazing.  That is about as cool of a project that anyone could ever hope for.   :wowzers:

HemiStan

Random photos:

Stan

HemiStan

Quote from: Cuda Cody on January 05, 2018, 02:49:06 PM
The amount of history you have with the car is amazing.  That is about as cool of a project that anyone could ever hope for.   :wowzers:

Believe it or not, when I got the car I didn't know too much about the history of it but over the past few years I have been piecing it together.  It is pretty cool!  I really can't believe that it is actually sitting in my garage.....   I can't wait to bang gears in it!

Stan

HemiStan

The Hemi and aluminum K-Heads actually cleaned up pretty good!  Definitely a good block.  A very stout engine for "back in the day".  Kieth Black stroker crank, solid roller cam, aluminum rods, etc.

Stan

HemiStan

I have a ton more pictures of the car that I have taken over the past few years.  I have done a lot of work to it.....    I will post more tomorrow.

Stan

Brads70

Wow!  :wowzers: What a piece of Mopar history! Sure would be cool to return it to race trim!

ToxicWolf

Thank you for sharing with us.   :worship:

This will be fantastic to watch.  :banana: