Main Menu

71 Barracuda EV2 H5XV

Started by Skdmark, June 26, 2020, 04:53:54 PM

Previous topic Next topic

floorit426

Quote from: Skdmark on June 10, 2021, 07:52:19 PM
Quote from: 71383bee on June 10, 2021, 07:27:52 PM
Awesome work! 

I didn't realize you could pull the sending unit without dropping the tank.  Or did you drop that as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just need to make sure you are low on gas before you remove the sending unit.

It seems that mine is always low on gas! :notsure:

Skdmark

Been over a year since I made some updates to this thread.
That's not to say the car hasn't had any.

This past week I finally was able to install the Rallye Dash that I had started on last year. The biggest delay I had was waiting 7 months to get the M&H harness from Year One.

One addition I made that I had not covered in my earlier posts about the dash was going with a 4-switch setup instead of 3. Performance Car Graphics (now Instrument Specialties) only had the rear defog and top lift version of the face plates available. So, I went with a rear defog face plate. Which actually works out pretty well. I had a spare headlight toggle cover that I was able to adapt onto a SPST switch from Amazon to fill the slot. Then, down the road when I install an OD trans in the car I can use that switch to deactivate the OD. I'm having an OVERDRIVE label made up to replace the REAR DEFOG.

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

Skdmark

While I had the dash out..

I installed an AM/FM radio from Antique Auto Radio and chucked the 80s tape deck. Along with the radio I upgraded the speakers. The single speaker dash got a 4x10 dual voice coil speaker (after modding the speaker and making some spacers). This one is tricky to install without cutting up the dash. The dash definitely needs to be out of the car to make it work.

I also installed a 2 channel 600-watt AMP from Planet Audio under the dash just behind and above the parking brake. I wound up using some rare earth magnets that have a threaded stud to bolt them to the amp. The magnets stick to the underside of the cowl on the interior.

Out back I added a pair of 6X9 3-way coaxial speakers.

I wasn't looking to get too crazy just wanted a simple setup for the tunes that you could hear with the windows down.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

Skdmark

I finally put a proper exhaust on the car and yanked the full-length tube headers and side pipes off. I added the factory style hangers and brackets to the driver's side and installed new muffler heat shields.

I'm about 17 miles from Kilpatrick Engine in Waukesha who is a TTI dealer. So I ordered up my exhaust from Kilpatrick and had them do the install. They take care of breaking in the ceramic coating on the headers to validate the warranty. I went with the small block shorty headers, had them add in O2 bungs on the head pipes for the Sniper. Out back I went with the turndown exhaust to keep with the Barracuda aesthetic. I was able to find a pair of "normal" pipe hangers from Walker instead of using TTI's hideously oversized pipe hangers. At the same time as the exhaust went in, I had them install a Powermaster hi-torque mini starter that I had picked up.

The guys at Kilpatrick are fabricating an insane '71 Cuda resto-mod and were happy to have my car there for a few days to take measurements off it for their build.

The one thing I have left from the exhaust conversion to complete is to cut off the brackets a previous owner welded on to hang the side pipes.
-Harlan Ellison