Main Menu

71 barracuda re born

Started by moparx5, September 13, 2020, 07:43:28 PM

Previous topic Next topic

moparx5

started this car a few years ago, a lot of interruptions in its progress with owning a  metal fab shop and just plain life diversions but figured you guys would appreciate  the work, started as a stripped out rotted to hell 71 barracuda 318 so my goal was to bring it back simple mostly stock, motor 360 stroked 408 alum heads all roller msd fuel injected dynoed it made a good pull at 448 hp & 515 ft-lbs @ 4600 rpm, brewers rebuilt 4 speed hydraulic clutch , firm feel power quick ratio box, a arms , sway bars , adjustable strut bars , rear is  a new strange dana 373 posi 2'' narrower than stock with comp engineering slide a link traction bars , Thanks to Rosevilles i stock pilled pretty much everything else i need to put this puppy together.
   replaced all but passenger frame rail and rad support , outside of rockers were still good , and basically inner structure of the shell and hinge posts ,,, everything else was replaced with AMD  products 

Chryco Psycho

Looking forward to watching that one come together  :twothumbsup:

moparx5

just the beginning

cuda hunter

That's quite the pallet of work you have there.  I will be glad to follow along with the upcoming pics. 
Sounds like it was really rusted worse than what the pictures show.  Doesn't appear to be too bad from the first pics. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

anlauto

Cool....nice to see another one saved  :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

moparx5

car was very straight  never hit so making jig was pretty easy to secure some critical points for aligning new rails ,, payed off good in the long run.
brackets to
k frame bolts, door hinges, rear bumper mounts, front leaf spring perches, rad support  and stand to bottom of frame rails and many other spots as needed
i did notice one thing i over looked and lucky it wasnt a huge problem     ( when locating your new tortion bar frame rail make sure it is set at propper angle in relation to lower control arms)  when i started putting car back together that angle must have been off a little because the bars were a bit lower than the control arm sockets !!! they did go in but i was a little pissed !!!! something to keep an eye on if you got this deep

CudaMoparRay

Definitely a job for a pro  :wrenching:
Will enjoy seeing it as it progresses  :banana:

moparx5

the car did look good from a distance and any pics i have of the rust were just rusty pics lol ,,,,, it was toast !!!

moparx5

i remember when i got fire wall tied back in it started to be going in the right direction. weldable primer is a must ,and i did alot of scuffing parts in advance , saved some energy when it came time to prep for paint

moparx5

time to crash 4 AM is coming quick I will add more soon
Youtube     thecrazycuda   type that in all one word    blowing off some steam behind my shop lol

Shoooter

Not much left of it. Looks like it's coming along

JS29

RUNCHARGER

That's a ton of work (almost 1.5 tons actually), interesting build. Thanks for posting it for us.
Sheldon

moparx5

have a few min to post some other pics,,,, im glad i'm not some crazy bastard that tried to count all the plug welds lol but there is a shit ton. made a jig to hold hinges in place  and then to locate them after replacing rear window filler panel

moparx5

next was rear rails , when car was still a ha ha shell i jigged up the front leaf spring mounts because it all had to come out. there's a few pieces involved in that little area and it made it  pretty easy having that plate to bolt the perch to , pretty much fabbed up my own inner rocker its now 1/8 steel from front to back, i'm sure that will help when the clutch gets dropped at 4 grand