Main Menu

71 Challenger 440 six pack 4 speed

Started by antonellomopar, October 11, 2020, 03:09:54 PM

Previous topic Next topic

antonellomopar

This is my first post here in this forum...after my introduction. I have purchased on ebay this poor 440 six pack Challenger. I already have a 70 auto car, that is built from the factory more as a luxury tourer, with cloth interior, and all power accessories. The 71 is more a street racer, and will probably add a correct spoiler and a shaker hood, not present on the build sheet. The car had been described very optimistically by the seller, so I found myself in a mess. But this is not my first restoration, so with perseverance will finish her in some time. Now the car is safe in my garage in Italy, and the long process of takeing the car apart has begun.
Here are some pics.

JH27N0B

I look foreword to seeing your progress!  I have a '71 V code 4 speed Challenger too.  I've come to feel they are almost unicorns, there are so many more 70s than there are 71s.  After I got mine I dug through my 25 year collection of car magazines looking for features on 71 V code Challengers and only found a couple.  And I've only seen a handful other than mine and I go to lots of shows.
Do you have the fender tag?

anlauto

:iagree: I agree, this will be a great one to follow. A few years back I also restored a 4 speed version in much the same condition as yours...
http://www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com/1971-440-6-Challenger.html

I believe they all deserve to be saved  :worship:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

R/T's 4 R/P

Well, it's nice to know where it ended up. Congratulations on the project!
You outbid me on the auction.
I live near where the car was, so went to look at it. So, I know the project in front of you.
70 R/T 440 6 Pack
70 T/A
70 SE R/T 383
2015 SRT

RUNCHARGER

Pretty rough but you can do it by the sounds of it. Sometimes if it is a little rusty it might as well be really rusty as everything has to be changed anyway. Will be a great car when done though.
Sheldon

Cuda Cody

That will be a great car when you get done.  :banana:

xx88man

Obviously a major project but a very cool project. I have a very original 71 318 car in Hemi Orange and I look forward to seeing watching it come together
Keep yer foot in it

kathyscuda

Quote from: Cuda Cody on October 11, 2020, 07:04:59 PM
That will be a great car when you get done.  :banana:
"KEY WORDS " cody.  when its done.

Brads70

Wow that's going to be a project! Cool car though!

750-h2

Super neat car! Definitely worthy of a full restoration! :ohyeah:

antonellomopar

These days I am taking the car completely apart. Heater, wipers, dashpad, fuel lines, gas tank they have been taken off. The Challenger is really wasted...rust is everywhere. Rear frame rails are gone, as are floors and part of the firewall. But doors, fenders, roof, engine bay seem to be in real good condition. Rust is everywhere, and has frozen everything. Heater cables, parking brake, brake pedal, dash screws, dash gauges, fuel lines, parking brake cables, door latches are all frozen to death. Am waiting sheetmetal from AMD, and in december she will be off to the bodyman to fix all rust troubles. Here are some pics.

antonellomopar

Well, the car has been taken completely apart, there is an empty shell with suspension, K member and glass. Wanted to retain K member and suspension for ease of transportation. Have received all the AMD parts, and car will go to the bodyshop next week.
In the meantime, I sent the G440 engine block to the machine shop and found a 68 crank among my stuff. On ebay i scored a six pack balancer and bellhousing, while Brewer has got me a correct flywheel. The six pack rods were already there, as were the reworked heads. L2355 pistond and Comp Cam 224 will round out the package. CArbs have been restored by Scott Harms, so I am in good hands here. ALso found a date correct distributor and alternator, only missing a 959 raidator.
Will take some pics of the car tomorrow.

Skdmark

If you need a radiator I would recommend contacting Bob at Glenray http://www.restorationradiators.com/
He is the go to person on restoring an original or obtaining a repro.

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

Purepony

Cool looking car but you won the car and shipped it to Italy ?

anlauto

Quote from: Purepony on December 01, 2020, 07:20:05 PM
Cool looking car but you won the car and shipped it to Italy ?

He "won" the car on eBay  :bigthumb:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration