Main Menu

74 Challenger Canadian Restoration

Started by daaboots, November 13, 2019, 05:44:35 PM

Previous topic Next topic

DeathProofCuda

Wow, you are seriously "all-in" on this project.  :clapping:  Funny when I think back to your original videos on this project when you anticipated having it back on the road in a few months.  But I know how that goes, my Cuda was off the road for about the first 20 years of my ownership.  Keep at it!  :cheers:

daaboots

Oh I know! I get a good laugh when I look back at my early videos. I really had no idea what I was talking about back then  :dunno:

Quote from: DeathProofCuda on January 10, 2023, 10:41:04 AM
Wow, you are seriously "all-in" on this project.  :clapping:  Funny when I think back to your original videos on this project when you anticipated having it back on the road in a few months.  But I know how that goes, my Cuda was off the road for about the first 20 years of my ownership.  Keep at it!  :cheers:

daaboots

The firewall is GONE!

anlauto

It's call the  "SNOWBALL AFFECT" :haha: :haha: :haha:  and you're building one heck of a snowman  :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

dodj

:worship:
I aways thought it takes a lot of confidence, or ignorance, to take out the whole firewall. Certainly a version of crossing the Rubicon...
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Brads70

Wow , you certainly have ambition I'll give you that!  :bravo:

jimynick

Boy, that looks familiar! LOL  You are aware that that lft frt door pillar is 2 piece, right? Be careful to not throw out any of it until you've got it all back and tacked together. When I cut mine out, I didn't realize there were 2 lower connecting panels and had to go out and drag the junk back in, to remove the mangled (by me) pieces so as to repair and refit them. I found the trans tunnel didn't want to play nice at the point where it met the new firewall.but a 4X4 on a floor jack up in the tunnel helped that out. We bonded the cowl to the firewall before installing them for what it's worth and you may want to check that out. Send me a PM with your email on it and I'll send you the pics of when we did mine, for reference. It's coming along nicely! Cheers, Ian
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Dmod1974

Quote from: jimynick on January 20, 2023, 07:11:26 PM
Boy, that looks familiar! LOL  You are aware that that lft frt door pillar is 2 piece, right? Be careful to not throw out any of it until you've got it all back and tacked together. When I cut mine out, I didn't realize there were 2 lower connecting panels and had to go out and drag the junk back in, to remove the mangled (by me) pieces so as to repair and refit them. I found the trans tunnel didn't want to play nice at the point where it met the new firewall.but a 4X4 on a floor jack up in the tunnel helped that out. We bonded the cowl to the firewall before installing them for what it's worth and you may want to check that out. Send me a PM with your email on it and I'll send you the pics of when we did mine, for reference. It's coming along nicely! Cheers, Ian

Agreed.

Also, there is a bend that shouldn't be there on the AMD cowl side panels that attach to the firewall and overlap behind the hinge pillar.  My LH side also had the parking brake pedal assembly mounting nut welded onto the wrong side of the panel!  You definitely don't want to find that out after all of this work when you begin reassembly; I'm glad I caught mine before installation.

daaboots

Quote from: jimynick on January 20, 2023, 07:11:26 PM

I'll send you a msg with my email for the photos.

Yes, I did order the inner and outer piece for the door pillar. I wasn't aware of any other lower connecting panels. I guess I'll have to drag my scrap back in as well :D

daaboots

Quote from: Dmod1974 on January 21, 2023, 07:32:54 AM

Agreed.

Also, there is a bend that shouldn't be there on the AMD cowl side panels that attach to the firewall and overlap behind the hinge pillar.  My LH side also had the parking brake pedal assembly mounting nut welded onto the wrong side of the panel!  You definitely don't want to find that out after all of this work when you begin reassembly; I'm glad I caught mine before installation.

Does the bend cause a fitment issue or is it just not "original" in appearance?

Thanks for the heads up on the brake pedal issue. I'll give mine a good look when it arrives.

daaboots

Quote from: anlauto on January 19, 2023, 07:05:26 AM
It's call the  "SNOWBALL AFFECT" :haha: :haha: :haha:  and you're building one heck of a snowman  :twothumbsup:

This whole car has been one huge snowball running downhill  :looney:

daaboots

Quote from: dodj on January 20, 2023, 05:18:40 AM
:worship:
I aways thought it takes a lot of confidence, or ignorance, to take out the whole firewall. Certainly a version of crossing the Rubicon...

Probably ignorance on my part  :o

daaboots

Dmod1974

Quote from: daaboots on February 01, 2023, 08:57:51 AM
Quote from: Dmod1974 on January 21, 2023, 07:32:54 AM

Agreed.

Does the bend cause a fitment issue or is it just not "original" in appearance?

Thanks for the heads up on the brake pedal issue. I'll give mine a good look when it arrives.

Both. I just massaged the bends out of mine so they were flat like they're supposed to be.

dodj

It's been minus a million degrees in Ottawa lately.  :o.  Probably got lots of garage time in?  :wrenching:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill