Main Menu

74 Challenger with twins

Started by YellowThumper, January 14, 2019, 10:35:20 PM

Previous topic Next topic

YellowThumper

Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

7212Mopar

Cool. It is running.  :bravo: Next can we see some rubber burning videos, blow off valves noises soon? Hope you got a cover plate at where the distributors used to go.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

YellowThumper

Quote from: 7212Mopar on July 31, 2020, 03:14:40 PM
Cool. It is running.  :bravo: Next can we see some rubber burning videos, blow off valves noises soon? Hope you got a cover plate at where the distributors used to go.
Yes...
Custom hybrid I turned and welded up. Bottom half is Mopar base. Top half houses the VR sensor from a Ford 302 for the sequential.

Worked on cleaning up the wiring further.
Later bit now will be to wrap the loose wires in back and down inner wheel well face. Behind side panels.
Will paint the board black when I get around to replacing the 'temporary" house carpet. Will be nice to have a trunk again. Lawn chairs for all the shows I cannot attend.

Mike.

YellowThumper

Spent more time on finding my trunk.
Made made a cover for the exposed bulkhead wiring.
Cut to shape and bent a flat sheet of PVC that has textured face. Painted it black and installed. Before and after pics.
Also narrowed down what version/brand of AIC valving.
The 4 wire Jeep I6 is a good match. Small compact housing that will be easy to make small adapter plate. So... out comes the wiring mess to extract the correct wires to connect it.

Mike.

YellowThumper

More boring wiring...
Started to make and layout an adapter block for the Jeep IAC valve.
Will end up being a simple square block with a few connecting holes.
Ran the 4 necessary wires thru firewall plug. Waiting for it to cool down some so I can pull out car and solder these into the plug.
Hindsight I should have figured these out before buttoning everything up. Still progressing though.
Also adding one more spare wire for possible power if I find it necessary to change crank trigger to Hall sensor.

Mike.

Mike.

YellowThumper

Removed some more unnecessary factory wiring. Reason the wires are all black as they were extensions that connected to factory wires when I initially just relocated the switch.
Also plugged in the clutch safety switch. This has been bypassed for the full 38 years I have owned it. Happy to state the switch is still working. Gonna see if I can live with it being "proper".

Added 4 new wires into the mess for the IAC. With the help of my big headed buddy.
Wiring under hood remains just tied off for now.

Finished the adapter block. Mounted it and the valve onto plenum. 

When it cools down I will get to welding the face back together.
Step by step by step by step...

Mike.

YellowThumper

Hopefully I can do some of the previously mentioned welding this weekend.
Have started to work on the full length center console.
Laying out some boards and gluing pieces together for the different directions necessary. When done all the lap joints will be cut down to consistent width curves.
It is now sitting stable on the floor. Also trying to decide on the extensions final height. The center portion will be recessed from the side heights. Unsure of finish for it all at this point. Like everything else.  I want the end result to be somewhat indiscreet. Cross between A body and the Charger style is in my head.
Will have cup holders  :bradsthumb:. Along with USB char gf ers. Also going to incorporate a non contact phone charging pad.
And you cannot have too many clamps.

Mike.

YellowThumper

Started to have odd electrical issues and so far it has me stumped.  Both the left and right dash signal lights are illuminating along with voltage staying at only 12v.

Swapped out the vreg. Knew was a futile exercise. But I had a new spare. No change.
All addons are their own isolated circuits next to factory. Not intertwined.
With that said, I can shut it off separately with its own breaker.
Turn off breaker and the erroneous lights no longer light up. Car won't start with ECU off but will still crank with breaker tripped.
So... WTH.
The only "link" from factory wiring to the new setup is a single wire pulling from fuse block that is powered with crank and run.
This signal is only used to trigger a continuous duty relay.
That relay feeds every thing new.

Multiple weeks and many miles of setup finally working perfect. So I have to assume wiring "plan" is sound. Gonna pull dash next to see if I can find something that has gone amiss.

Joy joy joy...

Mike.

JS29

Could it be feedback from a light bulb socket? 

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

dodj

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on September 03, 2020, 07:00:01 AM
Something rubbing etc.
This is what first came to mind for me. But also maybe a ground? Connection, not a short. So it's finding a ground through another light?  :dunno:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

YellowThumper

Quote from: JS29 on September 03, 2020, 05:58:40 AM
Could it be feedback from a light bulb socket?
This was my first thoughts as well be cause had same issue on another car years ago.
Checked and all lights will go on properly.

Something rubbing etc.
Yes I am thinking this. Although I have tied everything safely.

Quote from: dodj on September 03, 2020, 10:29:34 AM
Something rubbing etc.
This is what first came to mind for me. But also maybe a ground? Connection, not a short. So it's finding a ground through another light?  :dunno:

Yes erroneous grounding...
Fuses are not blowing. Signals inside and out still work.
I did notice the dimmer switch would make glow brightness change. Switch has been mostly junk for awhile. New dash lighting is plugged into this power. Unplugged new dash lights from circuit and same thing. Also unplugged the factory dimmer switch. Still same thing.will start pulling the add on fuses 1 by one to see if I find a culprit. Then new dash.

Mike.

YellowThumper

So I have found this ground wire just hanging out.
Obviously must not have been tight when I tucked everything in neater. Charging appears all good now. The regulator signal wire now comes from a trunk fuse.
Voltage is good again. However the blinkers now just have a small glow. Will continue to trace further for that. At least it's a step forward.

Mike.

YellowThumper

After a couple months of sitting because I am deep into the Falcon assembly.
I fired it up a couple days ago. Let it run until the fans kicked on.  Zero doubts of where my loyalty lies with vehicle of choice.
"Since I was in there" I sidetracked and worked on center console more. Really like how it is turning out so far.
Also you can never have too many clamps and straps.

Mike.

YellowThumper

Finally an update. Small but is something.
Started to finish the switch side of custom dash.
No pics but did try cardboard mockups. They all failed so I moved on to the real stuff.
Start big and wittle away until happy.
Getting close for the face. Backside will get welded on tabs for the mounts.
Single hidden screw holding it now. Will also get the top cap like the guage side. Top facing down will all be painted black. Face will get the woodgrain wrap as can be seen on right of new piece.

Mike.