Main Menu

74 Cuda resto Mod/Pro Touring Build.

Started by kjwalters, April 22, 2017, 05:23:05 AM

Previous topic Next topic

kjwalters

I already started a thread at Cuda-Challenger but was invited over here, si I thought I would start another one here. Long story short..the car started out as a 34 Cuda with 34K original miles. I traded for it and started the build last year. I figured it was a good investment since the Cuda and challenger really hold there value and are only going to be more desirable as time goes on. I wanted to build a tough looking "bootleg" resto-mod with some modern power and that's the way the car is going. We took the car down to bare metal and replaced anything that needed it. We also installed new suspension front and rear. Control freaks IFS and an Triangulated 4-link in the rear along with Vicking double adjustable coil overs. The 8-3/4 had the full treatment as well with a Eaton True track, Motive 3:91 gears and moser axles. Upgraded the brakes to Wilwood 13" six piston up front and 12" 4 piston in the rear. I will be running a 6.1 Hemi with a whipple supercharger and Coklin built 727 trans with a gear vendor. Even though the setup should handle Lots of HP....I decided to use a proven setup in the motor that will generate just over 600HP to the rear wheels since we want a reliable bullet proof setup. Forged rotating assembly, ARP head and main studs, stock 6.1 Heads with a custom Grind blower cam, Sanderson 1-7/8 headers with no cats and the 2.9 Whipple with water to air inter-cooler.  Anyway to take a look at the pics. I will post more as the build progresses.

This is how it all started

kjwalters

Here it is on the rotisserie, stripped and blaster to metal. Motor and trans out...not a bolt left on it.

kjwalters

Here's the Cuda in the operating room. We decided to change the rear quarters and trunk because I wanted this car done perfectly.
Juan is the owner of "Juan's auto body in Peru IL and a personal friend of mine. He and his gange did all the work and did a fantastic job.

kjwalters

Here it is with the base coat, I went with a custom Urekem Metallic gun metal grey satin. I also installed the fram connectors, driveshaft hoop and mounts for the triangulated 4 link and com sway bar.

kjwalters

New rear Center section, Control freaks suspension and Coklin Trans.

kjwalters

I decided to change out the original tail lights for something a little nicer. I always hated way the reverse lights looked on the 74, so I came up with some nice led halo tails. I had to do a little fabricating but they work awesome and look great I think.
They are just sitting the tail section on the pics they are not fastened in.

kjwalters

Installed the sound deadening and heat sheild. We used 50mil Byutle rubber throughout.

kjwalters

Here is a pic of the rear suspension being installed, and the car getting ready to have the final base coat and the orange strips painted.

kjwalters

This weekend I installed the electric windows regulators in the P/D doors. They went in really easy. I also installed the auto-loc remote door releases. The Whipple 2.9 supercharger for the motor also showed up. A thing a beauty, cant wait until the day I install this.

303 Mopar

What an amazing build!  You are really going all out and doing it right!   :veryexcited: :takealook:

I installed a 392 in mine in November and love it!  Now converting it to a 4 spd OD.

kjwalters

Quote from: 303 Mopar on April 22, 2017, 06:28:05 AM
What an amazing build!  You are really going all out and doing it right!   :veryexcited: :takealook:

I installed a 392 in mine in November and love it!  Now converting it to a 4 spd OD.

Thank you, I was planing on doing the 392 in this car as well...but the HP bug got hold of me and well, you know how that goes lol. I think the new motors in these classic cars is the perfect combination of nostalgia and technology. Cant wait to drive this car.

Cuda Cody

Fantastic build!!!!!   :bravo: top level workmanship.  You should be very proud of that car man.

kjwalters

Quote from: Cuda Cody on April 22, 2017, 07:13:51 AM
Fantastic build!!!!!   :bravo: top level workmanship.  You should be very proud of that car man.

Thank you very much, so far so good. I am glad to get some feedback on the work so far. Stay tuned, it will get done this year with any luck.

kjwalters

Quote from: TX9AAR on April 22, 2017, 07:26:05 AM
Your doing a fantastic job, keep posting pictures

More coming stay tuned.

nsmall

Wow.  I really like this car.  You make it  sound so simple.  I am assuming this aint your first rodeo?  The only feedback I have for you is  :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: