Main Menu

74 Rallye (Charger) Decision

Started by 71vert340, June 11, 2019, 03:55:25 PM

Previous topic Next topic

71vert340

Well, I'm at the point where I had to make a decision, if only temporary. My fender tag on my 74 Rallye Charger shows the car came with a white vinyl canopy top. The car is a B5 blue paint, black side stripes, blue interior and the power bulge hood has a black bulge. I can't find any photos of a 3rd generation Charger with that exterior color combination. When I bought the car in 1987, it had the black canopy top. I'm not sure if I can like the car with the white vinyl top. I didn't want to spend the money on a white vinyl top just to put it on and end up removing it if the car looked terrible with it. I realize the white would make a good contrast to all the black and blue. White vinyl is hard to maintain. I think the best solution will be to paint a white top on so it looks like a canopy top to see what it looks like. If I can't stand it, buy a black top and put on it. I realize I'll need to glue some vinyl strips under the drip rail stainless to prevent rattles but it seems like the best solution for now. Any thoughts or opinions? It will be a driver. I really value the opinions and ideas the people on this site. It's a car that is finally coming into it's own as a  car that gets some attention. Will it be a big factor in the car's value in the future ( for a 3rd generation Charger)? Thanks for any input.
Terry

Bullitt-

These might help ....  first is my buddies '73 SE taken around '79
   2nd is a '73 Rallye. 3rd '73 Rallye 4th video of a '74

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Rich G.

Something as simple as a vinyl top would not change the value of the car in my opinion. Put on what you like and the new owner can easily change it if he wants to.

dodj

"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

1 Wild R/T

I helped restore a 70 Charger that was coded for a white vinyl top... The original owner insisted it was black when he bought it new, when we removed the trim for the top there was still old vinyl under it, all black....  Your car wouldn't be the first or the last  car not actually built as the fender tag shows..... :alan2cents:

cuda hunter

That white top looks really good with those window louvers.  It really makes them pop!

Awesome car you have!  Please post up some pics of it some time. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee