Main Menu

70 Challenger project-all videos

Started by Nepagarage, January 18, 2022, 08:28:01 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Nepagarage

I started a thread on the General Discussions forum but thought I'd move stuff over here as it would be more appropriate and can make regular updates. I'll add each video I put up on YouTube over the last year or so and will also be seeking some advice on this thread as well. Quick background, I bought the car from EBay in August of 2017, the pics were fairly accurate but I will say when I tore into it I of course found more issues than expected (I guess that's pretty much how these things go, no?). Car came from NC and as far as I can tell was originally a SC car. My guess is the bulk of the rot came from sitting in a field from about 1986 until I bought it. Just a base model challenger. 318 auto. Everything was there when I got it and I was able to fire the engine after a few parts. I don't really have any intentions on using the 318 but I'm glad to keep it around.
I started getting some body panels in the spring of 2020 and didn't really start getting anything together until a couple months ago (November 2021). Plans are still open ended but leaning toward 440 based engine, auto trans, Holley Sniper (have ran it on my Factory Five and am really happy with ease of tuning). Color I'm leaning heavily toward Plum Crazy. I know it's "overdone" but it really is a great color on this body and, not gonna lie, my 5 year old daughter thinks it's the best color she's ever seen on a car haha. I'm no stickler for originality, I just prefer things look stock or similar to stock. I plan on doing all the metal/body/paint/electrical/interior/mechanical on my own when feasible.

Here are a couple pics from when it was online for sale and the day I got it

Nepagarage

Nepagarage

Challenger in NC

Wow, very ambitious project, but you are really bringing her back to life. I had watched all these videos on You Tube before I found that you had posted them here. Will look forward to more updates on this build.

Nepagarage

Thanks. It definitely ended up being rougher than I had initially thought it was going to be. I do have to say it's starting to come along now, despite not getting out there too often. I'm averaging maybe 5-6 hours a week on it, but now is the point where each time something gets done I can actually see the progress, which is great in keeping me motivated

Challenger in NC

Definitely major progress. These cars are always much more work than you realize in the beginning, mine was that way too. Once you start digging into everything, they snowball.

DeathProofCuda

@Nepagarage Where did you get the full floorpan that you are using for your car?  It looks to have the correct rib stamping for 70 models in the front floor section, so must not be AMD.  Is it a Dynacorn piece or Sherman?

Nepagarage

I bought it from classic industries in April of 2020, the part number is MM1389. Its listed as OER but I'm not sure if it's their own stamping or from Dynacorn,Sherman, etc

DeathProofCuda