Main Menu

A.G.A.R. This just in....THE END !

Started by anlauto, December 05, 2020, 01:26:32 PM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

Quote from: Swamp Donkey on January 22, 2021, 11:13:11 PM
I'm watching everything you are doing on this build.  Going to be doing almost everything you are doing.  Only at a much slower pace!

Thanks Mr. Donkey ;) but please keep in mind that this is a learning experience for me as well...Being a modified car there is no right or wrong way of doing things, but there certainly can be a better way....The ideas I've been using have come from pictures I've seen on the internet, some great advice from members here and also from local builders who have done this Gen III swap before....

I do appreciate everyone's comments in this thread....maybe I shouldn't have gone through the floor with the ground cable, :headbang: or maybe left room for a spare tire, :thinking: but moving forward, hopefully I'll get a chance to do more modified cars like this one and I can learn from others suggestions....afterall, that's what this great website is about  :grouphug: :drinkingbud:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

anlauto

With a tremendous amount of advice from the Gen III crowd here, I think I got my fuel system figured out and everything test fit....I welded a mounting stud for the fuel regulator/filter set up and another small ground stud...(can't be grounded enough ;) ) My only slight concern in the vent, it's above the top of the tank, but not very high....I think it should work okay, I can run a vented cap as well :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

anlauto

I might consider fabricating a shield to protect and cover the lines and regulator/filter....but that crossmember has such an odd shape to it  :thinking:

anlauto

Got the fans assembled to the "Frostebite" rad today too...thing is huge, I hope it fits... :fingerscrossed:

HP_Cuda

FWIW, a kill switch should be readily accessible.

Imagine your car burning down because of electrical or something and you need to get your trunk keys out.

Just sayin....
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

anlauto

Quote from: HP_Cuda on January 25, 2021, 01:28:32 PM

FWIW, a kill switch should be readily accessible.

Imagine your car burning down because of electrical or something and you need to get your trunk keys out.

Just sayin....

Yea...another excellent point, thank you... :worship:
I had a good conversation with the owner about why he wanted one installed. His answer had to do with every time he parked his other classic cars for any length of time the batteries would always die...he wants to be able to easily disconnect all power when he parks it... :dunno:

This is not a "race car" so not having immediate access to the kill switch without opening the trunk is really no worse then having to open your hood and try to disconnect your battery under the circumstances you mentioned. :alan2cents:

HP_Cuda

Gotcha, kill switch means something to old racer guys.

No worries if he really wanted a cutoff.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

anlauto

Restored the grill and tail light panel this week along with a ton of small parts...

RUNCHARGER

Oooh: 71 Challenger trim is rad for sure.
Sheldon

anlauto

I have to thank member @mccannix for taking apart a grill he had for sale to sell me the trim parts I needed to restore this grill  :drinkingbud: :twothumbsup:

anlauto

E-Stopp install...At first I had a grandiose idea of counter-sinking the whole unit in the floor pan, then running the cable INSIDE the car through a tube welded to the floor etc...etc...but then I thought that it's so hard to get material with all of our stores in a Covid lockdown. We can't just walk into a store anymore to grab a piece of pipe...it has to be ordered on-line and curbside pick-up etc...etc...PITA

So first off...the control box came with no way whatsoever to mount it....so I fab a bracket...and made it fancy with some wrinkle paint  :haha: :haha: it's also foam lined in case of vibration...Then a couple of nutserts and I mounted it basically where the factory pedal would be.

anlauto

Next up was the unit itself....again, just fab'd a mounting bracket with two mounting studs and plug welded it to the transmission crossmember...and two more studs welded through the floor. Drill an access hole for the wiring in the cross member and the floor right above...

It now sits level with the rocker and maybe an 1/2" lower them the pinch weld...I figure the exhaust will be a lot lower...

anlauto

Last step was the switch....didn't bother to hide it....drilled a hole and placed it right where a factory rear speaker fader switch would be  :D

I'll worry about all the wiring of it and attaching the cable later...

Now it's on to the AC

anlauto

Side scoops installed

anlauto

Overkill on the positive battery cable....I didn't want it pinched between the seat and floor, so I welded a piece of pipe through the floor and then used slices of pipe to hold the cable in place. I chose the passenger side to keep it away from the gas pedal