Main Menu

Not Challenger But 74 Charger Help Needed

Started by 71vert340, December 22, 2020, 06:09:04 PM

Previous topic Next topic

71vert340

I've asked this on a few other Mopar sites but no one has an answer. There's two problems I'm hoping for help/ideas on concerning weatherstrips. It's been 16 years since I did the 71 Challenger hardtop so I can't remember what I did. I know some of you have worked on the 71-74 B-bodies.
Question 1: The weatherstrip that goes in the channel above the side windows has adhesive applied to the forward end of the seal where it seals against the front of door and pillar. It has 4 plastic pins. The manufacturer in the directions states to apply the 3M weatherstrip adhesive in this area which I will do as the original seal had it there. My original seals also had adhesive applied on the last 6 inches of the weatherstrip in the channel. Is this something I should do as it may have been done later to prevent it from falling out as it aged.
  Question 2: How do I get the outer sweep (cat whisker) that seals against the quarter window installed? This piece has clips that install in the slots in top of quarter panel. A PUI repro I bought has cuts along the back edge to make the sharp corner from the quarter panel up the pillar to the roof. At Top Cat brand repro I bought is like the original but evertime I go to install it, I can't get the corner clips into the slots. I'm afraid of deforming the sweep when installing it. I tried to start the install at the ends but couldn't get the two corner clips in ( screwdrivers are pointing to the two problem clips in first photo) . I tried to install the 2 corner clips first but started to deform the sweep.  The repro sweep weatherstrip has the clips installed in the exact same place as the originals. Suggestions? I'll include a couple of photos of what I'm talking about. My Aztec gold Charger has the window trim removed. Maybe I need to remove the window trim again in the B5 blue Charger, install the sweep and reinstall the trim piece. Take a look.
Thanks. Sorry this is long but no one has any suggestions on the Charger/B-body sites.
Terry W.

Chryco Psycho

Well the Chargers I have owned & worked on were 71-72 with a completely different 1/4 window shape & type so I am not familiar with the issues , my window seal were like the E body & went right into the back top corner of the 1/4 window & Mine rolled down .
73 &  74 were very different in many ways .

71vert340

My quarter windows roll down and they are only up in the photos to help hold the top seal in. I'm thinking I may need to remove the wide pot metal trim piece to give more access to install the sweep. I think others are waiting to see how I get the sweeps installed and then share the info, which I will do of course.  I'm still am thinking of any cons to installing  the rear few inches of the top window seal using weatherstrip adhesive in the top seal rail.
Terry W.

mopar jack

I'm restoring my 71 road runner and here is a pic of the top weather strip. It appears to have adhesive at both ends like yours . My car is at the body shop so can't help much on the quarter fuzzes but it seems that Top cat is as good as we can get and the inside quarter fuzzy has no felt at all just rubber. These trim pieces need lot adjustments.

71vert340

I thought I'd share the success I had on finally getting the rear quarter window sweep installed today. I used the Top Cat piece. I ended up putting a rotary carbide file into my drill motor and elongating the two slots at the corners maybe 3/16 inch on each. The bottom slot in the quarter panel, I elongated the slot towards the front. The one above it , I elongated the top towards the roof. The part then clipped in with no problems. I'll include a few photos. I did not remove the trim piece. I used a variable speed drill instead of my high speed die grinder. It worked out well.
Terry W.