Main Menu

AGAR - EB7 Convertible Good Bye

Started by anlauto, January 06, 2017, 01:14:55 PM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

Here's the first step(s) in rust repair...
#1 Start with a desirable car
#2 Strip the car 100% apart
#3 Have the car media blasted and primed
#4 MOST IMPORTANT weld the car to a frame table BEFORE replacing any panels.

In this particular case, the right rear frame rail is 3/4" off of factory specs in the rear corner :verymad:

Keith Sim Metalcraft does all of my rust repair.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Spikedog08

Alan . . Your talents are first class!  Always amazed with your work!  Who knows, maybe one day I will hire you!   :ohyeah:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

anlauto

I have a great team of people  :perfect10: and I'd be honored to restore a car for you :bigmoney: :rofl:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Cuda Cody

B7 convertible   :inlove:  I can't wait to see this come back to life.  Seriously you need your own TV show.  It would be WAY better then anything on TV now.  Everyone with an E-Body project would be lined up around the block saying  :takemymoney: 

anlauto

EB7 Exterior
B5 interior
V3W White top
V6B Blue longitudinal stripe  :wowzers:

Cuda Cody

Seriously!!!!  That's  :cool:  That's got to be the only one.  I know there's no way to tell, but have you ever seen another one?

Quote from: anlauto on January 06, 2017, 02:41:22 PM
EB7 Exterior
B5 interior
V3W White top
V6B Blue longitudinal stripe  :wowzers:

anlauto

oh...and a factory FOUR SPEED too

Moparman82

Going to be awesome for sure!!  I can't wait to see it all back together!
Looking for the right 70 Cuda project!

anlauto

With all the measurements taken and the car now welded solid to the frame table, only then should you start removing large panels. Even though not clearly seen in the pictures, the center floor, trunk floor and rails were pretty swiss cheese so it made the most sense to replace them as a unit using DII's rear section, both financially and structurally . :alan2cents:

Also noted...the passenger side rail has a good size dent near the main bend, and this car had shown signs of being tapped in the rear....Now most shops NOT using a frame table, would most likely not notice that the rear of the rail was 3/4" to high from factory specs....Most shops would have likely just went ahead with new quarters etc...and complained why the AMD panels don't line up :rofl:

I'm glad I have Keith in my corner :worship:

anlauto

:lurking: Actually in Keith's hand in the first pic is the inner rocker panel patch he was fabricating because of rust "inside" the torque box where you normally wouldn't see. There will be lots of hand fabrication on the convertible wheel tubs etc...

Cuda Cody

You and Keith know your stuff.  Nothing left to chance.  Those Dii rear sections are pretty slick.  Makes replacing rear rails a lot easier.   :popcorn:  Can't wait to see all the metal work done.  Thanks for sharing!   :thankyou:

Marc70challenger

Timbbuc2

Get in, I'll drive

anlauto

Here Keith has made convertible quarters using AMD hardtop quarters...he has the correct die for the step flange.

anlauto

Curiously enough the belt molding area is about a 1/4 at the rear then a hardtop quarter....here's a fix for that (no finished of course) but how many people miss this little detail ? :huh: