Main Menu

And it begins...'71 Challenger Convertible

Started by superdave, January 05, 2018, 08:41:49 PM

Previous topic Next topic

superdave

A little info on the car... 318 three speed , bucket seats no console, power steering, top banana with black interior  and white top :rofl: . Not real sure when my brother purchased it but I remember the day our mom came home from work and said something to the affect of "I shouldn't mention this but this ad was on the bulletin board at work....." :yes: He let me drive it to high school some where in late winter early spring 1982 I went to leave and what I thought was a backfire was actually the back freeze plug blowing out. Before we could move it someone stopped by and took a knife to the roof and tires. :crying:
    So it was parked then and engine rebuilt but sat only to be worked on now and then. Had it media blasted 5 years ago or so but now starting to back together. It is surprisingly rust free, it both amazes me and disgusts me when I think about all the rust I have to repair on mine. I will post a few pics for now but I realized really quick that there is an art to taking pictures/documenting a rebuild and I need a lot of work in that area.

Cuda Cody

Looks SUPER solid.  And top banana!!!  Great color.  :inlove: 

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

ToxicWolf

Looks like a really great start.  :wave:

It's going to be fun watching it grow up.  :banana:

340challconvert

Looking forward to your work on the convertible!
Great color and the body looks to be in great condition.
I have a Y1 Challenger A66 convertible that I am working on myself.  :wrenching:
Best of luck with your resto!

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

Cuda_mark

A convertible with floors??? I don't think I've ever seen that! Looks like a great project. Are you going all back to stock?

usraptor

Wow!  That is amazing how rust free that car is compared to others I've seen on this and other sites.   :twothumbsup:  So does the car still belong to your brother or you now?  Keep us posted on your progress.

superdave

It belongs to my brother. His job is pretty seasonal, won't be much done to it once it warms back up. Going back "mostly stock". Unfortunately the three speed transmission was misplaced during a move years ago. Going with a four speed, replacing the flat hood with a RT hood, and dual exhaust, there was talk of a 440 but that has been nixed for now. I'm a bit of a purist myself but it's his car so we will see what happens. Not planning on show quality but a weekend cruiser. I'm completely overwhelmed by the wealth of knowledge here on this site! :bradsthumb: Hopefully this is fun.  :banana:

Roadman

I'll get fat watchin this one grow.   :popcorn:   :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

LinceCuda

What a great solid platform you have to start with that's rare in it's self for sure.  :ohyeah:

71GranCoupe

Put in a 340 stroker and then tell everyone it is a stock 318 with a 4 barrel added. You won't have to tel them it has over 400 cubes though.  ;)

superdave

:haha: 340 stoker is tempting. It is actually Y3, so Citron Yella instead of Top Banana like I thought. I need to run the vin to see if it is really black interior and white top. Just not an appealing combo in my opinion.  :thinking:

303 Mopar

Great start, can't wait to see progress on this one!   :popcorn:

71GranCoupe

Quote from: superdave on January 12, 2018, 09:35:57 AM
:haha: 340 stoker is tempting. It is actually Y3, so Citron Yella instead of Top Banana like I thought. I need to run the vin to see if it is really black interior and white top. Just not an appealing combo in my opinion.  :thinking:

I kinda thought that was Citron Yella showing under the adjusting nut on the shock tower but wasn't sure. My 71 is that color, don't have any pictures with me to share though.  :headbang:

RUNCHARGER

GT3 is pretty much the coolest colour offered in 71 IMO. People don't know what the heck it is, is it Green? Is it Yellow? I love it. I'd really like a 71 Road Runner in GY3 with all the graphics,
Sheldon