Main Menu

Barnfind 1970 Barracuda

Started by soundcontrol, March 07, 2020, 01:28:05 PM

Previous topic Next topic

soundcontrol

I couldn't help myself, I bought this 70 Gran Coupé today, I probably overpaid about 4k according to @cuda hunter 's quick evaluation in another thread, but I don' care, easier for me to find 4k than to find a decent Cuda 70 project. The rust was way less than expected though, looking at pictures I tought it had spread more, but its rusty in weird spots, no bad rust at all under, floor is fine except a hole on the driver side under the parking brake. It needs new trunk floor, extensions and lower quarters.
Need the header panel, maybe, I think I can fix the hood, needs a grille. I got an original driver side fender with it also. Doors, firewall, rockers are fine. rear wheel houses needs some smaller patches.

It's a 2 owner car, hit a tree in -87, been in a barn since, matching numbers, looks like no one has ever changed anything on it.
318, AC, 904, 7 1/4 rear end. (I do have an extra 8 3/4 laying around). It runs and drives, but the brakes are bad.

Seats are great except for driver seat, rear is like new. I read that the original houndtooth cloth is hard to get?
Legendary's seats with that looks different.
Drove all day to see it, gonna pick it up in a few weeks.

Husk Challenger

Challenger 73' 383ci 4spd ---> SOLD
Challenger 71' 318 904 RT clone ---> Stroker 318/392 Tf 727!

BFM_Cuda

Love that interior.   Congrats on your new project, always exciting to get something new.  :cheers:

JS29

:cheers: Fellow gran coup owner, Ya gotta love the overhead console.  :congrats:

mk

That's a cool project......... it looks like it may have had the V5X body side moulding with the small pinstripes on either side....... have been looking for that side moulding for my project but it is hard to find.

Joegrapes

I used Legendary when I recovered my seats. They came out great.

7E-Bodies

EXCELLENT project! I've been hearing some good things about the 318 Stroker conversions. A way to keep it all number matched. Nice find.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

soundcontrol

Quote from: Joegrapes on March 07, 2020, 02:31:57 PM
I used Legendary when I recovered my seats. They came out great.

Damn, thats it! The ones I found looked different. Gotta check again. Thanks!

Edit:
This is the only one I can find, looks different.
https://www.legendaryautointeriors.com/product/70-gran-coupe-cloth-bkt-seat-srm-blk-w-blk-wht-houndstooth/

soundcontrol

I'm not sure what to do with it yet. First I gotta fix the front damage, get all lights working, get the brakes working so I can get it tested to get Swedish paperwork and license plates.
I'm not gonna take it completely apart until my Challenger is done. Maybe I just drive it like this for a few years  8)
...that is if I can keep my hands off for that long.

Hellcat engine maybe.... :thinking:

If I change the rear end, is it worth saving the old one (since this is all matching numbers) or is that not an issue for a 318 car?
I am saving the engine/tranny though, if I put another engine in it.

soundcontrol

Quote from: mk on March 07, 2020, 02:22:38 PM
That's a cool project......... it looks like it may have had the V5X body side moulding with the small pinstripes on either side....... have been looking for that side moulding for my project but it is hard to find.

Yep, Fender tag says:
M21 - M25 - M31 - R11 - V5X -
Drip Rail Moldings
Body Sill Moldings
Body Belt Moldings
2 Watt AM Radio (Music Master)
Black Molding / Protective Vinyl Insert Body Side (Includes pinstripe on 1970 Barracuda / Cuda)

6bblgt

looks like the spare fender is from a FY1 V5X car also  :thinking: & it looks familiar

the drawing/picture on Legendary's site id from the trim catalog - ask them for a sample, I think they have the correct material

screamindriver

Great score !! Legendary's P5X9 seat covers are correct for the production seats like you've got..I've only seen one example of the  P5X9 seat with the red welt trim moved to the outer seam like the trim catalogue and that's in the 70 cuda sales brochure.. Makes me wonder where that pre-production interior ended up...

Ricomondo

Hey congrats on getting your car. Work at your own pace and you'll do fine! I love that interior color.!
70' FE5 Challenger T/A
71' GY3 Demon 340

6bblgt

:huh: I had a different FY1 V5X fender

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration