Main Menu

Converting rust into a 72 Challenger

Started by MarctheDrifter, April 14, 2018, 10:27:04 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Skid Row

rhamson

If you are going to repair the rust as you go concentrate on the items you cannot remove easily. The floor pans, trunk pan, frame members and quarter panels. You already have a roof so you are on your way my friend. I did a cosmetic which lasted around 8 years on one of my Challengers but I got to drive it a lit before the bad stuff came back ti bite me.  :ohyeah:

MarctheDrifter

Not much progress. Got some of the front end off and "restored" the taillights.

usraptor

First of all  :welcome: from utah.  You definitely have more ambition than I do.  I would have run away screaming from that car.  :o   Glad there are people like you willing to come to the rescue of old Mopars like this.   :wrenching:  Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.  Can't wait to see it back on the road again.  :bigthumb:

RUNCHARGER

Good idea to alternate grinding rust and restoring the tail light. Shaking it up keeps the positive attitude. It can feel like a bottomless pit when doing rust repair sometimes.
Sheldon

nsmall

:iagree:  You have to see some victory.  Those tail lights turned out great! :bradsthumb:

Mpdlawdog

same here!  Ive done about 90% of my car so far..Im definitely not a professional and dont have a ton of $$$ but I like to do stuff myself (trial and error..mostly error but who cares...Im not making a show car)   Keep on it!!!!!!!! 

BIGSHCLUNK

MarctheDrifter

I finally pulled the engine. It wasn't pretty, but I got it done by myself. Now I have to start focusing on actual rust removal. I bought a new upper firewall from AMD, but it kind of looks like I'm going to need the lower half as well. I need to win the lottery.

MarctheDrifter

Forgot to show off my pristine master cylinder.

That's after I got all the water out. I'm thinking I'll be getting a new one when I convert to disc brakes.

mopar thunder

This is cool. I can't wait to see all your hard work come back around. Keep at it as you can. Tail lights look great.   :drinkingbud:

YellowThumper

Looks like you have a good attitude towards it. Definitely take those breaks from the mundane and restore the smalls along the way. Progress is always progress. No matter how small.

:popcorn:
Mike.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

oldmoparbuff