Main Menu

FC7 RT SE

Started by RusTy/SE, January 16, 2017, 08:34:37 PM

Previous topic Next topic

RusTy/SE

This is my project, one 1970 R/T SE. I believe the original owner, a Vietnam Vet, has passed, but it was sold new in the Detroit suburb of Madison Heights from Hunter Dodge (now Oakland Dodge) on W 14 Mile Rd. Fast forward to 1993 and the car is picked up as an abandoned vehicle and later that year and put up for sale by way of Police auction. I've since found evidence of broken driver door glass and combined with a missing ignition it doesn't paint a pretty picture.

I purchased it in January 1994 through an ad in Mopar Collectors Guide from the guy who won it at the Police auction. The original black and white cloth and vinyl seats had been replaced at some point with the same items in plain black vinyl and all the SE headliner pieces were missing in action as well; door panels and dash minus radio were present. A big block trans from a 69 Chrysler attached to a 440 from a 71 Chrysler along with a 741 chunk were in place and I found out years later that the original housing showed signs of rear gear failure, so it's been replaced. The original fender tag, radiator, and steering pump oil cooler were thankfully present. It was a mash up but had exactly what I was looking for: pb, ps, auto, non-ac, and Plum Crazy. I was happy when I bought it and even though I've owned other Mopars - even a shot at a factory white with black interior 70 V-code Challenger R/T with auto and a 3.54 Dana (still kicking myself over not jumping all over that one :bricks:) - I've grown to like this car even more than when I first laid eyes on it.

*edit* The photos are part of a group sent to me back in late 1993. The Michigan Department of State form is from a copied batch of papers I received after contacting the proper State Department for any documents pertaining to the Challenger.

JS29U0B

There are no traffic jams along the extra mile - Roger Staubach

Chryco Psycho

We need to get this car restored so you can enjoy it  :console:

headejm

Can you post a picture of the fender tag? I wish my FC7 RT/SE had the black and white cloth seats. Your car needs to be back on the road!  :toast:

71GranCoupe

Never really been a purple color fan, but you know this one with white interior may have some impact on taking a second look.  :yes:

Cuda Cody

:wowzers:  This is going to be a fantastic Challenger when it's done!!!!  You have a really cool car man.   :yes:  You know I love FC7!!!!!!

fc7cuda

Good story on the car and it will look awesome when done. Here's a pic of my former FC7 RT/SE.

Tom

303 Mopar

That is some great documentation, I don't think I've seen that before.   :rubeyes:

headejm

Quote from: fc7cuda on January 17, 2017, 01:25:06 AM
Good story on the car and it will look awesome when done. Here's a pic of my former FC7 RT/SE.

Tom

My FC7 RT/SE came with white longitudinal stripes, black top, and black interior. I really like the white top.

Shoooter

That is a cool car. Love the old pictures of it. Can't wait to see future work

anlauto

Quote from: headejm on January 17, 2017, 11:56:57 AM

My FC7 RT/SE came with white longitudinal stripes, black top, and black interior. I really like the white top.

That's how this one was coded, although not an SE...it does have a large hole in the roof  :smile:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

headejm

I wouldn't recommend driving that car in the rain!  :rofl:

RusTy/SE

Quote from: headejm on January 16, 2017, 09:13:19 PM
Can you post a picture of the fender tag? I wish my FC7 RT/SE had the black and white cloth seats. Your car needs to be back on the road!  :toast:

It's a little crusty but fully readable from the back :twothumbsup:
JS29U0B

RusTy/SE

Resuming the story of my R/T SE, here are the rest of the pictures from the batch mailed to me back in 1993 along with the ad from Mopar Collectors Guide which first caught my eye.  I talked Roger down to $3500 (yeah, right), and we shook hands over the phone :takemymoney: 

Shortly after, I arranged for a buddy to drive up to Michigan to bring it back in his 3/4 ton van pulling a open flatbed trailer for $500.  This was about the same time an extreme winter storm slowly crossed the area so it wasn't until March 1994 that it finally arrived.  A few friends were with me as we all looked it over. They were not exactly blown away but I was ecstatic  :slapme5: 

The dash, door sticker, fender tag, along with the body vin numbers all matched. The original correct radiator and steering pump cooler were also present. And most of the SE trim - all things considered, it was as complete as I had hoped for.
JS29U0B

RusTy/SE

:takepicture:   :inlove:   :lookatthat:
JS29U0B

Cuda Cody

Was the chain a security thing?