Main Menu

gas tank fill pipe

Started by roguedc72, April 30, 2018, 12:32:03 PM

Previous topic Next topic

roguedc72

Here I was all proud of myself for installing a new gas tank,straps,sender,fill pipe donut and fill pipe boot in my 72 challenger, had everything in except the fill pipe, now I can't install the fill pipe because I can't go straight into the donut, I'm at a angle that seems to be stopping me pushing the fill pipe through the donut, I'm looking at this and wondering,do I have to drop the tank to start the fill pipe into the hole as the tank is going up? has anybody else run into this? never thought this would be an issue!

ToxicWolf

I went through the same thing with my 70 Challenger.  I finally got it in by crawling into the trunk and putting a little grease on the end of the tube before forcing it through the rubber piece on the tank.  For me, it was all about force and determination.  Hopefully there is a better answer.  :waving:

RUNCHARGER

You may have to loosen it off and move it to the left if you can or drop it a bit. If you have to drop it just line up some wooden blocks about 6 inches below the installed height to drop it onto. This will make reinstallation a breeze.
Sheldon

Katfish

Needs to be installed first.... 
I found this out the hard way too
Fill tube in tank, then install tank

ToxicWolf

Quote from: Katfish on April 30, 2018, 01:12:06 PM
Needs to be installed first.... 
I found this out the hard way too
Fill tube in tank, then install tank

I agree. Unfortunately I figured that out too late and I had worked so hard getting the tank in there the first time I just couldn't bring myself to take it all apart again.  :crying:

jimynick

As in many things, a wee bit of lubrication makes the insertion much easier and enjoyable. Just sayin'  :D
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

RUNCHARGER

And don't forget to place the trunk seal over the pipe before jamming the pipe  into the tank.
Sheldon

jimynick

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on April 30, 2018, 09:15:09 PM
And don't forget to place the trunk seal over the pipe before jamming the pipe  into the tank.
Yep and wasn't there also a gasket under the neck flange at the 1/4? Seems to me there was and it'd be a large PITA to discover it after the whole rigmarole!  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

roguedc72

yep,finally had to drop the valance and everything else,stick the pipe in and reassemble, at least everything was new and clean with rust and dirt to contend with.

RUNCHARGER

Good, fairly simple job other than trying to not damage the valance.
Sheldon