Main Menu

Inherited Family Owned 1970 AAR - Limelight Build

Started by FIAARMN, April 23, 2020, 05:42:01 PM

Previous topic Next topic

FIAARMN

Well I figured it was time to start a build thread.

1970 AAR Limelight Cuda 4spd - Bought 4/17/1970 at Pigati Chrysler in Vacaville California.

Inherited when Uncle passed.  Screen name to honer him as he was a Fireman, hence the FIAARMN! In the process verifying if the original block is in the vehicle. Back in the mid 70's it was converted to manual linkage set up for the carburetors.

Parked in 1989 and re-painted in 1994 ish.....and still sat until , to his knowledge last started in 2003 ran in 2004/2005... then parked 2006, which is the last year it was registered by the sticker on the plate and from what I gather from talking to a friend of his.

Car arrived back to Us with the center carb missing, but pretty complete. Car came with new tires and the following: So far until more boxes of parts arrive)

1) New front window chrome trim - Boxed
2) New Door Panels
3) New door weather striping
4) New black head light piece
5) New misc dash knobs

I know the intake will arrive soon and boxes of other parts, so we will see what we find

I did find the original sell papers, and to whom sold it, dealers name, sales persons name and new owner. Original manual and other paper work I will post later. Factory hitch instructions, some warranty stuff and misc papers

Car appears to been getting ready to start again. Upon inspection fairly new drive belt, fuel filter, oil filter, coolant is fresh and green and oil seems fine.  I do need a battery and center carb to get started.

Plan is to go through all the things I need to address to get it ready to run, rebuild carbs and manually bore scope the intake and cyl before I fire it up. Then start on the interior, putting on all the parts it came with and making it a cruising/driving project...... enjoy it

1970 AAR Cuda Limelight Green,White Interior, - Hamtramck Built 36k miles, Verified All Numbers Match - Broadcast Sheet, Warranty Card & Window Sticker!

FIAARMN

Pics when it arrived and after a washing

1970 AAR Cuda Limelight Green,White Interior, - Hamtramck Built 36k miles, Verified All Numbers Match - Broadcast Sheet, Warranty Card & Window Sticker!

FIAARMN

Had to take everything out of the truck, and iner... was filled with wet urine from mice and mice turd all in the truck and carpet. Sat in Idaho in a garage for a year while the estate of Uncle was settled.

Killed ice that made the transport trip from Idaho to California.

Vacuumed the entire carper, removed the rear seats and panels, disinfected the trunk.... did a quick clean job to eliminate the smell, Will need much ore attention. Will need new carpet.....

mice took backing from the back rest and butt part of the rear seat to make homes in the trunk. Will need to inspect it really close later.

JS29

So far so good. As i stated in another thread, More than likely the heater box will be full from rodent invasion.  :alan2cents:

FIAARMN

Ok all, I snapped a bunch of pictures, please please please comment if you see or notice anything that stands out, is original, is not and so on. I am literally learning about  these cars and this car as I go day by day and all the advice or information will be appreciated and absorbed

For sure 100% car is repainted, seems the engine bay as well...... some point it was probably a attempt at a restoration, but not a full one The good news is there are a lot of original parts on the car......... 

FIAARMN

More.....
I am being told the seats are original as they are and the headliner, but I am not positive.

you will see over spray on the under carriage and some in the engine bay area. Also, some of the areas where parts are connected tot he firewall show some pint, not sure if that is factory or not.

FIAARMN

Question

I have the window chrome, new pieces and the original.... is there a seal that goes under before they are put back on?

FIAARMN

couple more before I get a bunch more today

anlauto

100% for sure the headliner has been replaced, and it looks like all the metal trim has been repainted white as well. The shoulder belts are missing and there no hole in the headliner for them, that's how I determined the headliner has been replaced...looks like a decent install though, nice and tight... :bigthumb:  I would be REALLY surprised if the seats have not been recovered and the white interior panels have not been painted or dyed (unless those are the new ones you mentioned)
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

FIAARMN

Quote from: anlauto on April 24, 2020, 08:54:10 AM
100% for sure the headliner has been replaced, and it looks like all the metal trim has been repainted white as well. The shoulder belts are missing and there no hole in the headliner for them, that's how I determined the headliner has been replaced...looks like a decent install though, nice and tight... :bigthumb:  I would be REALLY surprised if the seats have not been recovered and the white interior panels have not been painted or dyed (unless those are the new ones you mentioned)

Good to know, thank you. No the replacement panels, new are in the trunk wrapped in plastic.  The ones on the door and one taken off to get the driver window up seems original. i will post pics of the one taken off

So glad for you guys and this site........ so informative.....

packnsix

What an amazing inheritance. I bet your uncle is proud that you are getting back on the road. 

ply64post

Very nice!

(Quote)
Ok all, I snapped a bunch of pictures, please please please comment if you see or notice anything that stands out, is original, is not and so on. I am literally learning about  these cars and this car as I go day by day and all the advice or information will be appreciated and absorbed.

The carbs are gm style carbs, they have the fuel inlets on the drivers side, they should be on the passenger side. The carb numbers should be R4789 Front, R4790 Rear, R 4791 Center 4 speed, and R 4792 Auto.The vacuum diaphragms are missing on the secondary carbs, electric solenoid,secondary linkage is missing,and wrong fuel lines. Also the master cylinder has been replaced with a different master cylinder.

Jeff

nsmall

Wow, what an awesome car.  Cant think of a cooler car.   :bradsthumb:

anlauto

Yup...I think you might be in the market for three carbs to make it right again. I believe new ones (same but incorrect numbers) are still available through Chrysler and members here get a discount from Roseville Moparts  :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

It looks like what was on there was the 4782 and 4783 carbs. They were a popular setup to replace the vacuum carbs and were even available at the Chrysler dealer thru Hustle Stuff for awhile. All 3 carbs had accelerator pumps on them and the throttle response was pretty unequaled once you got them dialed in.
If it was my car, yeah I'd look for original vacuum ones as this car deserves them.
Sheldon