Main Menu

1974 Cuda Trans Help

Started by moparroy, October 03, 2020, 06:31:09 AM

Previous topic Next topic

moparroy

I tore down the 727 for my 1974 Cuda 360 project yesterday. I long suspected this was a drag car back in the day and the condition of the front clutch again says so. The clutch steels are toast - burned up bad - the one so bad its warped. I am wondering if I need to replace the reaction / pressure plate - it shows some hot spots but not bad. See pic. I was thinking I would but was surprised this is not a common part. Drum looks like it got warm inside but looks fine outside. What would be the impact of reusing this plate?

When do thrust washers need replacing? I never replaced any on daily driver rebuilds I did. In this 727 they look ok - most wore orange on one side one is different though not sure if less worn as there is still some silver on the wear side. (pics) Washers not a common kit part. What about bushings - some kits have them - they look in ok condition - no grooves or anything.

I plan to replace the kick down band for sure. How do I know if the low / rev band is reusable or should be replaced? is there a thickness wear limit?

Noted the valve body is a 1971 part number and date code - any idea why someone would replace the valve body with a '71? Surprised that the valvebody does not show any signs of shift kit modification - thankfully - was expecting it would.

This is the original numbers matching 727 so I would keep it for sure. Any suggestions on how to compress the front clutch spring retainer?

Thanks
Roy

RUNCHARGER

Welcome to the forum from Vernon B.C.
Sheldon

anlauto

Can't help you too much with your transmission questions, but welcome to the best E Body website in the world from right down the street in Georgetown ON :grouphug:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

moparroy

Thanks for the welcomes. Indeed great resources here. Used quite a few bits over the years working on this project. More years than I care to say. Only realized I never joined when these questions came up. Thanks. Let's hope Moparfest is back next year!