Main Menu

LedPhoot's '73 Cuda (she’s alive)

Started by ledphoot, May 06, 2018, 12:52:23 AM

Previous topic Next topic

ledphoot

So today I started laying hands on the 'Cuda for the first time in many years. This is the car that I learned to drive in, my brother was the second owner, I am now the third owner. This car has been in my family for a LONG time and it's about time it got the attention it deserves. I rolled it out of the shop, gave it a bath and started organizing all of the parts so I can efficiently get to work on her.

I am fortunate to have such a good starting point for this project, looking at all of the wonderful restorations you guys have done I am amazed at the work and dedication you have shown to your cars.. So here are the first pics after I got rid of a few years worth of dust...

I have to say thanks to my brother Gene for trading this 'Cuda to me for my Challenger, it's so awesome that he recognized the special place this car has in my heart and gave me the chance to put her back on the road.

82firebird

It looks like a great car to start with. What are the plans? It is always more enjoyable to work on something that has such a personal meaning. Looking forward to watching your process!

dodj

Looks like a great starting point.  :twothumbsup: Looking forward to the build thread!
Someone have a fight with the column? lol
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Brads70

Wow great condition and sentimental value..... not to many of us luck out like that! Good for you! Enjoy!  :clapping: :bradsthumb:

anlauto

Really nice start .....is it a four speed car with AC originally ?
Is it a 318 car or 340 ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

ledphoot

Thanks guys.

Originally the car was a 340 4 speed with air conditioning. The original motor had a cracked block so it's gone. I have a fuel injected 416 stroker built by Rich Nedbal of Mopar Engines West. A Tremec TKO 5 speed, 17" torque thrust II's etc. she is being built as a restomod with a goal of spanking my buddy's SRT8/ scatpack modern challengers.

Next steps are pull the K-member and install new front suspension. Then clear the firewall of old components, install vintage air box, new wiper motor etc and begin re-wiring the whole car with the M&H wiring harness. Drop in the engine and trans, get the car motivating under its own power and finally knock out the interior / trim etc.

She is a driver, not a show car, so she will not be built to perfection, but she will definitely DRIVE. :)

Cuda Cody

Super nice starting point.   :clapping:  You should be able to make a nice car out of those solid bones.  And the history is awesome!   :banana:

1 Wild R/T

Looking Good!! Should be on the road by next weekend right?  Wait, different Alan... :rofl:  Looking forward to seeing your progress, if I can help let me know...

RUNCHARGER

What a nice car. I think I would have trouble working that one over, but it will be great when done.
Sheldon

xx88man

Great looking Cuda....good to see it will be driven again! Looking forward to watching this!
Keep yer foot in it

ledphoot

Thanks guys. I am sure I will get a lot of support here. I have already found a ton of info thanks to this site and your hard work.

It's interesting that the Cuda was parked 30 years ago next month. I don't believe I will be driving it next month. But I think I can have all the wiring sorted out and have the engine installed / running by then.

It's going to take a while to sort out the interior. Roseville Moparts is going to become very familiar with me. I may have to sell my ZX10R to fund the interior cause it needs everything.

RUNCHARGER

Your goals seem realistic. New interior will really enhance the feeling you get from the car.
Sheldon

CudaMoparRay

Can't beat the good foundation you have, congrats on your project.

nsmall

Not sure if you mentioned this, and I am in no way saying its needed, but are you going to keep he current paint job?  You can save some big bucks there as it sounds like drive train wise you aint playing games.   

ledphoot

She is going to stay green for a while. The paint is good enough for a driver, there is no rust to contend with. The car has been in Northern California it's whole life. Originally sold in San Jose and moved to the Central Valley about 16 years ago.

I don't want to get in to painting because I'd do a color change to something that really pops. I don't know if you noticed but my challenger is Sublime. So I ain't afraid of a bright car. :)