Main Menu

RESTORAG ...HAPPY CUSTOMER

Started by anlauto, August 26, 2017, 05:50:05 PM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

Picked up this new customer today, sorry I only snapped this one picture before I close the doors on it for a couple of months before I can get at it.

Little bit of a GOOD/BAD story to this one....with a twist....

GOOD: Owner has had the car for 38 years, bought it when he was 17. Enjoyed it for most of those years. It's an original 1970 Challenger R/T convertible, numbers matching 383 Column Automatic, FE5 Red, Black top and interior. He tossed the original tag years ago with the rusted aprons :pullinghair:, not sure if there's a build sheet, owner doesn't think so. Didn't see much else for options.

BAD: Typical "Body Shop Horror Story" Brought it to a local restoration shop for a ground up restoration in 2009. Spent a lot of money and had the rust repaired.....Still has a long way to go. Owner of the shop sold out everything and is moving this month....car was going to move with him, but the owner was tired of waiting and actually wanted the car finished....That's where I come in....

TWIST: Restoration is not going to be stock. The car is set up already for front and rear Control Freak suspension, Wilwood Disc Brakes, Tremic 5spd behind the original 383. TTI exhaust. Also going with 17" YearOne rallye wheels.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

JH27N0B

There's a similar type situation in my area.
Viet Nam vet bought a '70 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed vert new.  Drove it for many years, but eventually stored it away and it became a "gonna fix it someday" situation.
His kids must have watched that Chip Foose show, as at some point they got the car out of storage and sent it in for restoration without dad's knowledge.
It got completed, and is pretty sharp.  But the shop restified the car, it now has the 17" year one wheels, a T/A spoiler, a lot of mods under the hood, and a custom dash.
I'm a purist, so I cringe a bit when I see this car.
But dad is taking it all over the place and seems thrilled with it, so in the end that is what is important.

Cuda Cody

This will be a fun one to watch come together.  And it's in the right hands now too.  How did he get you to do a non stock restoration?   :pokeeye:

anlauto

I've dabbled in Resto-mods before.....breaks up the monotony :banana:

dodj

Quote from: anlauto on August 27, 2017, 03:44:38 AM
I seem to remember a 572 fuel injected 5 speed resto-mod a year or two ago?
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

anlauto

Quote from: dodj on August 27, 2017, 04:27:13 AM
Quote from: anlauto on August 27, 2017, 03:44:38 AM
I seem to remember a 572 fuel injected 5 speed resto-mod a year or two ago?

YES...Unfortunately the owner of that car stop paying and I had to give him the boot. The car was shipped back to California to be finished (I guess). 
All I ask is to be paid for the work I do in a reasonable amount of time :bigmoney: :dunno:

RUNCHARGER

What's control freak suspension? Coil overs at 4 corners and extra tabs and gussets welded in?
Sheldon

anlauto

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on August 27, 2017, 08:41:45 AM
What's control freak suspension? Coil overs at 4 corners and extra tabs and gussets welded in?

Yea...pretty much :crying:

anlauto

Couple of shots taken by the owner the day we brought her out ...

anlauto

I must be the only sucker that takes on basket cases....The parts for this car are so unorganized it's not funny.....not to mention I think I only received about a dozen bolts to put it back together  :'(

Oh well......now starts the daunting task of sorting and organizing !  :tired:

Spikedog08

Alan . . I give credit where credit is due  . . . and you certainly get some here!     :worship:  :worship:  :worship:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

anlauto

Made a new page for it on my web site http://www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com/

(Click on the big picture)

I'll be adding pictures there as I go along..... :banana:

Car-nutt