Main Menu

New at A.G.A.R....... Sunroof #4

Started by anlauto, June 19, 2018, 05:13:13 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Brads70

Quote from: YYZ on June 20, 2018, 05:26:47 AM
That looks like a Bosch motor -- fairly common in Mercedes of the same era and relatively available (and not horribly expensive either).

Have a look at this one:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bosch-Power-Sunroof-Motor-Porsche-356-911-BMW-Mercedes-Sardine-Can-12V/222674463228?rt=nc&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D52474%26meid%3D8286d5fc172f4f2aba3267a6842f0c25%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D3%26mehot%3Dlo%26sd%3D202153652606%26itm%3D222674463228&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Interestingly, automotive sunroofs from back in the day were usually produced by one of two companies:  Golde or ASC.  Golde was more common in the European cars but certainly used in Cadillacs etc.

The founder of ASC was actually an employee/protege of the founder of Golde, so the sunroofs and mechanisms are quite similar, and many parts are the same too.

Very cool info "THIS" is the real value of this site!

YYZ

When I started in the hobby I was minorly obsessed with both convertibles and sunroof cars, so I spent a fair bit of time researching ASC and trying to track down obsolete or substitute parts.  And living not too far from Detroit I went there quite often, including to the old RTS warehouse.

As with a lot of other parts, there is often only one supplier to 2 of the Big 3.  From there, the rest is straightforward.

If someone has a later A-body or '73-4 B body with a manual sunroof, you can use the parts posted to convert to power.  There is seldom a difference in the cables.

E74cuda

Here's another 1970 Challenger R/T sunroof car that some might know of. It's a 440 automatic that is EB3 blue with a white vinyl top and B5 blue interior. Pretty good option wise with power windows, steering and brakes along with a luggage rack.  I'm planning on starting the restoration next year.

cuda hunter

Alan,  Have you had the opportunity to restore a cuda with a sun roof yet? 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

anlauto

Quote from: E74cuda on June 21, 2018, 07:39:13 AM
Here's another 1970 Challenger R/T sunroof car that some might know of. It's a 440 automatic that is EB3 blue with a white vinyl top and B5 blue interior. Pretty good option wise with power windows, steering and brakes along with a luggage rack.  I'm planning on starting the restoration next year.

You should sell it to @bpsmopar  :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

bpsmopar

Quote from: anlauto on June 21, 2018, 09:28:03 AM

Blue on blue is one of my favorites!! :iagree:

anlauto

Quote from: cuda hunter on June 21, 2018, 07:45:52 AM
Alan,  Have you had the opportunity to restore a cuda with a sun roof yet?

No but I came close to buying the quadruple white 72 that was kicking around....it did sell, but I haven't seen it restored :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

anlauto

Quote from: bpsmopar on June 21, 2018, 12:36:24 PM
Quote from: anlauto on June 21, 2018, 09:28:03 AM

Blue on blue is one of my favorites!! :iagree:

Yes, I do think you need another one...maybe @E74cuda will be kind enough to let it go knowing it'll get the restoration it deserves  :) and not into the hands of someone evil... :vipermanhiding:

E74cuda

Yes, I do think you need another one...maybe @E74cuda will be kind enough to let it go knowing it'll get the restoration it deserves  :) and not into the hands of someone evil... :vipermanhiding:
[/quote]
I am looking forward to working through the restoration. It's an added bonus on a car like this that wasn't really altered and will retain almost 100% of it's original sheet metal. Here's a picture of a 70 cuda that I have going through a restoration now and should be finished late Summer. The Challenger will be just as nice and correct.

anlauto

Some pictures taken yesterday.....

Spikedog08

Looks beautiful as always!   :worship:  :worship:  :worship:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

dodj

Quote from: Spikedog08 on July 24, 2018, 06:55:46 AM
Looks beautiful as always!   :worship:  :worship:  :worship:
:iagree:
One of my "wish list" things to do if I come into some $$ is have Alan restore a car for me!  :inlove:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

dave73

Looks awesome, as always!

I hate reading your build threads, I drive such a POS  :headbang: