Main Menu

Off to the metal shop...PICTURE UPDATE

Started by anlauto, November 22, 2017, 12:21:37 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Brads70

Keith sounds like a cool guy to hang around just to learn from. I admire his skills! Not many left like that these days! Wish I was closer I'd go work with him for free just to learn.

anlauto

Quote from: Brads70 on November 23, 2017, 06:58:55 AM
Keith sounds like a cool guy to hang around just to learn from. I admire his skills! Not many left like that these days! Wish I was closer I'd go work with him for free just to learn.

Yea..he's a great guy.....Have you ever watched the videos with him in them ? This one has a nice quarter panel patch fabrication...

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

larry4406

Quote from: anlauto on November 23, 2017, 06:52:09 AM
Quote from: larry4406 on November 23, 2017, 05:24:58 AM
When it comes time to do the quarters, please include details on how you modify the hardtop quarters to fit.

He just cuts the top off and puts in a step flange....Here's Challenger ones he did last year.....Cuda one are easier...

Thanks Alan but I would still appreciate process pics of the conversion of the Cuda quarters if you can manage this.  How is the rolled/formed downward section at the quarter window addressed -
hardtop used as is? Area in question is circled.

larry4406

Here are some pictures from Ken's site showing the topside of the end detail near the quarter window.  Based on the e-coat still in place, then perhaps the area I circled is same for both hardtop and vert quarters.

Sorry if I am derailing your thread some.

anlauto

Yup, I've seen Ken's before, we installed a set last year on a 71 Cuda....Ken does nice work.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

blown motor

Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

anlauto

Quote from: blown motor on November 23, 2017, 06:30:16 PM
Gorrie isn't very far from me.

Have you ever heard of "Pentastic" right on #89 ? They're sort of a used car place that deals in classics as well.....Keith is right across the street pretty much.

Convertcuda

Thanks for the positive comments on the convertible quarters! Between Cuda And Challenger I have made over 75 sets to date. The Challenger quarters are the most difficult to get correct especially where the sail pane ties into the quarter. This is where the trim channel intersects. At that point if its made wrong the trim will not fir properly.  It's taken me years to get it right.  If you need something related to convertible I can help you out.

Ken
ebodyconvertibleconversions.com

blown motor

Quote from: anlauto on November 23, 2017, 07:13:36 PM

Have you ever heard of "Pentastic" right on #89 ? They're sort of a used car place that deals in classics as well.....Keith is right across the street pretty much.

No I haven't Alan. I'll have to go for a drive some day.

superdave

scf100

1970 Challenger R/T convertible Triple Black

whitsend

Quote from: anlauto on November 23, 2017, 07:13:36 PM

Looked it up on google maps. looks like highway #87.  :twothumbsup:

blown motor

Yes. Provincial highway 89 ends at Harriston (Minto) and becomes county road 87.

anlauto

With my main metal guy, Keith Sim now 1 1/2 hours away, I admit I don't get up there as much as I would like....in the past we used to see each other 2-3 times every week....

Today I brought him some more parts of the puzzle and see that he's started the first step....

Step 1: Remove the parts you won't be using.... :haha:

...then fabricate the parts you do want to use....here you see he's reconstructed about two feet of the driver's side frame rail and both ends of the transmission cross member....next comes the door posts and fitting the new firewall....

More pictures of the complete restoration are on my website: http://www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com/FC7RAG.html

72 Challenger

that is some serious weight reduction. That car is gonna fly!
Someday I will have a J0b.