Started by Mrbill426, September 26, 2017, 07:52:34 PM

Previous topic Next topic

RUNCHARGER

Yes: This is a really neat car.
Sheldon

usraptor

Anxious to see your progress.  Great project.  :twothumbsup:

Mrbill426

Some more photos as the car was taken down...

Note the rectangular hole cut in the body above where the brace attaches.  Apparently used to spotweld the brace back on; we think is was smacked somehow on the right.  They just left the hole there  :thumbdown:

Ohio salted roads took it's toll...

Mrbill426

More engine compartment.  Can anyone say if the red markings on the wiper motor are supposed to be there?  :dunno:  I wonder too about the lower steering column, it looks like something is missing around the shaft?

More views of the "mystery" black substance on the firewall. :huh:

Mrbill426

Mrbill426

Mrbill426

Cuda Cody

Tearing in to a car for the first time is a great feeling.  Love the look of old undercoating and factory stuff.  There's something special about these old cars.   :inlove:

@Mrbill426 , do you like the brand of tire dollies that you're using , I need to get a set and there are a lot of brands to choose from

RUNCHARGER

I had a set of dollys that looked like that. Mine weren't any good, they were too weak. They sort of did the job but I ended up recycling them.
Sheldon

70 Challenger Lover

Neat project!

Have you developed a plan of attack on fixing up the front end? I did all this on my 70 earlier this year. Very doable home project. Might be easiest to replace the driver inner panel completely rather than attempt a patch. That would also take care of your rust where the hinge attaches. You have a lot of rust on the driver shock tower just like mine had. What I did was carefully remove the shock tower, bead blast it clean, and reattach. They are so thick that the pitting was more cosmetic than anything. I had to go with a new rail on that side but you might be able to make some patches to the existing rail while the tower is off.

I'd also really examine the upper and lower cowl as well as the hinge pillars before you go to far. Your upper cowl looks pretty rough on the ends. Mine was like this and had to replace everything.

If you ever need reference photos, I have plenty of the front end repairs that I can post or send you directly.

Mrbill426

Yes I like them fine, I bought them on e-Bay several years ago.  I will see if I can fine the brand, and maybe the seller if you like.

Quote from: 73440 on September 28, 2017, 03:43:14 AM
@Mrbill426 , do you like the brand of tire dollies that you're using , I need to get a set and there are a lot of brands to choose from

Mrbill426

Actually 70 Challenger Lover these pics are sort of archives, I am just going back to the beginning and working forward with these posts.

:wrenching:

Quote from: 70 Challenger Lover on September 28, 2017, 05:38:50 PM
Neat project!

Have you developed a plan of attack on fixing up the front end? I did all this on my 70 earlier this year. Very doable home project. Might be easiest to replace the driver inner panel completely rather than attempt a patch. That would also take care of your rust where the hinge attaches. You have a lot of rust on the driver shock tower just like mine had. What I did was carefully remove the shock tower, bead blast it clean, and reattach. They are so thick that the pitting was more cosmetic than anything. I had to go with a new rail on that side but you might be able to make some patches to the existing rail while the tower is off.

I'd also really examine the upper and lower cowl as well as the hinge pillars before you go to far. Your upper cowl looks pretty rough on the ends. Mine was like this and had to replace everything.

If you ever need reference photos, I have plenty of the front end repairs that I can post or send you directly.

70 Challenger Lover

Ah...in that case, I'll sit back and follow along.

Quote from: Mrbill426 on September 28, 2017, 05:58:23 PM
Yes I like them fine, I bought them on e-Bay several years ago.  I will see if I can fine the brand, and maybe the seller if you like.

Quote from: 73440 on September 28, 2017, 03:43:14 AM

Thanks , Good deal, just the brand is probably good, need to scoot one project over for some room in the garage. 2 cars and 6 motorcycles , with 5 not running currently, between them makes it tough to even get in the 73.