Main Menu

PINK AAR CUDA

Started by HEMICUDA, April 15, 2020, 09:25:56 AM

Previous topic Next topic

HEMICUDA

I wasn't going to post this car because it's a customer car and it's really not my place, he gave me the "go ahead".  I didn't have much interest managing a thread like this, I figured members here should see how a true "professional" handles a customer restoration.  These are some of the progress pictures, this is the car we were working on at the same time as Ross's gorgeous orange 71 shaker Cuda posted on another thread.

All the interior parts have been powder coated "in house".  We do all our own interiors as well, I per-heat the seats in the powder coating oven to soften the vinyl so it's much easier to stretch over the frame.

HEMICUDA

Every single part, suspension and interior, bare metal or not, has been powder coated.

HEMICUDA

I'm in the process of assembly, I will be running the engine tomorrow on my engine run stand before paint.  Just for the record, every single picture you see here of this restoration is done here at my shop.  This stuff is so important to a high end restoration, I would never rely on any one other than what we do in my shop to get to this level.

RUNCHARGER

Awesome work Mike. Everyone should take note of the correct floorpan finish (colour and exterior paint blow in). This car will last forever.
Sheldon

RJChallenger

That sure is some very impressive work. The nicest I've ever seen. I have one question if I may , just how "Stinkin rich" must one be to afford such nice work?

HEMICUDA

Quote from: RJChallenger on April 15, 2020, 10:03:49 AM
That sure is some very impressive work. The nicest I've ever seen. I have one question if I may , just how "Stinkin rich" must one be to afford such nice work?

You don't, all the real money is where others fall crazy short, :drunk: it's all in the metal work body and paint.  I actually personally did all the blasting and powder coating on all the parts for Barry's car and I threaten him I need to triple my personal labor rate, problem is, I did the math and 3 x 0 is still 0. :rofl:  The only labor I've charged him is what I have to pay my outstandingly talented guys, I haven't charged him a penny for my labor and I will be doing all the assembly work. :yes:

Don't take this as bragging, I retired at 45 and don't need the money, I love these cars and the process of polishing a turd and making it a shiny diamond.

HEMICUDA

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on April 15, 2020, 09:59:21 AM
Awesome work Mike. Everyone should take note of the correct floorpan finish. This car will last forever.

Thx for that Sheldon, :worship: that's no more than PPG Grey/green epoxy.  PPG supplied all the top coats to MOPAR back in the day.  Compared to my 3900 mile survivor 6bbl Cuda, that's the closest color I've seen to the dip color from back in the day.

njsteve

WOW! Amazing job. I know you said you powder coat all the bare metal but what about the rotor surfaces where the brake pads contact them?

HEMICUDA

Quote from: njsteve on April 15, 2020, 10:28:45 AM
WOW! Amazing job. I know you said you powder coat all the bare metal but what about the rotor surfaces where the brake pads contact them?

I lied, everywhere except the rotor surfaces.

headejm

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on April 15, 2020, 09:59:21 AM
Awesome work Mike. Everyone should take note of the correct floorpan finish (colour and exterior paint blow in). This car will last forever.

:iagree:  :1place: My car is an undercoat car and I like that look also. The primer with the color overspray is the way to go (and the way the factory did it). No painted bottoms for me!  :alan2cents:

Chryco Psycho

I am glad you didn't powder coat the rotors  :thinking: :Thud:

HEMICUDA

Body

HEMICUDA

My very own top secret paint formula, whoops, I gave it up on another thread.

HEMICUDA

Any one paying a "professional", this is what you should expect.  It's not that we are better than other upper level restorers, this is what should be expected from a professional MOPAR restoration shop.

Wayne

What a great car!  Love following your projects Mike, first class.  Plus I am sure to learn something following along :banana:
1970 Cuda 383 4spd red on red
Backyard Hotrods @ Youtube, Facebook & Instagram
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2bd5dyuOKCJT-kWhdEGm3A