Main Menu

Pro Touring 68 Dart convertible

Started by Burdar, August 22, 2018, 11:47:22 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Burdar

I'm going to start a thread on my 68 Dart convertible project.  A similar thread was started over on CC.com so some of you are probably familiar with the car already.  I was asked to start from the beginning so that's what I'll do.  I'm calling this a "Pro Touring" build.  I know the meaning of that term is debated and I'm not sure this car completely falls into that category.  However, I like the term "Pro Touring" better then "RestoMod" and I really dislike the term "G-Machine" for some reason.  The Dart will have a bigger engine with more hp then it had from the factory.  It will sit lower and have larger wheels then it came with from the factory.  The suspension will be upgraded and the brakes will be larger then what it originally had.  I'm calling it a Pro Touring build. My Challenger was a pretty stock type restoration.  This car gives me the freedom to build something unique where there is no "correct" or "incorrect".

I bought this car in the fall of 2013.  As some of you know, 2013 was a very bad year for me and my family.  My son passed away from cancer in July after a 7 month long battle.  He was an only child.  Needless to say, the house was very quiet...too quiet.  I was going crazy and needed something to take my mine off of things.  To my surprise, my wife approved of me getting another project.  If it weren't for me being able to work on this car, I might not be here right now.  I basically got home from work and went right out into the garage.  The garage was my space to concentrate on the car.  When I was in the house, things were too quiet and disturbing images came flooding back.  So I was in the garage a lot in late 2013 and 2014.  Things have slowed down on the car's progress due to money but I'm still trying to get little things done here and there.

68 Dart GT convertible, Q1 blue with black/pearl white interior and a white top.  It was originally a 318/904 car with 4 wheel drum brakes and no sway bars. It came with a 7 1/4 rear end and 13" wheels.   A bench seat was standard in the convertible but this car has front buckets and a console.  Both of those items were an extra cost option.  The convertible option was only available on the GT and the GTS.  This car is a GT model.  The biggest engine available on the GT was a 318.  The GT got you special side moldings, a black grill and an argent painted trunk applique. (GTS models got the same applique but it was painted black instead.)  The GT had a flat hood with DODGE spelled out on the leading edge.  The GTS got the bulge hood.

A GTS hood came with the car so that was installed as soon as the car rolled off the trailer.  I'm not building a GTS clone even though it's going to have a GTS hood.  Most of the emblems will be removed on this car but the ones that remain will still say GT.

303 Mopar

Can't wait to see this one come together!  Not sure you've seen this but maybe some ideas here.

JS29

BIGSHCLUNK

Cudakiller70

Burdar

Awhile ago I played around with the paint program on my computer.  I rather crudely made a rendering of how I want my 68 to look.  I started with a picture of a 69 I had taken at Carlisle.  I removed the side markers and replaced them with the 68 style.(best looking side marker design ever IMO)  I searched online for a straight on view of the wheel style I want to use.  I found a picture of a Camaro that had wheels I liked so I copied/pasted them onto the picture of the Dart.  Finally, I added a carbon fiber GTS stripe to the rear.  Here is what I started with...

Here is what I want my 68 to look like...

The GT side trim is not going back on the car.  The rear applique is also not going back on.  I like the clean look of the body without all the extra trim.  It will have disc brakes front and rear.  18" wheels up front with 18's or 20's in the rear.  I really like the look of the 3M carbon fiber vinyl.  I ordered a couple samples of it and it's very convincing.  The black is a little too black though and the anthracite is a little too light.  Maybe I can find something in between.  They make a wire tape that you can lay out your stripes with.  Then you lay the vinyl down over the top.  Finally, you pull the wire out which cuts the vinyl.  I think it should work in theory.  If it doesn't turn out, I'll probably just go without a stripe.

moparmadman69

Quote from: Burdar on August 23, 2018, 08:24:20 AM
Awhile ago I played around with the paint program on my computer.  I rather crudely made a rendering of how I want my 68 to look.  I started with a picture of a 69 I had taken at Carlisle.  I removed the side markers and replaced them with the 68 style.(best looking side marker design ever IMO)  I searched online for a straight on view of the wheel style I want to use.  I found a picture of a Camaro that had wheels I liked so I copied/pasted them onto the picture of the Dart.  Finally, I added a carbon fiber GTS stripe to the rear.  Here is what I started with...

The GT side trim is not going back on the car.  The rear applique is also not going back on.  I like the clean look of the body without all the extra trim.  It will have disc brakes front and rear.  18" wheels up front with 18's or 20's in the rear.  I really like the look of the 3M carbon fiber vinyl.  I ordered a couple samples of it and it's very convincing.  The black is a little too black though and the anthracite is a little too light.  Maybe I can find something in between.  They make a wire tape that you can lay out your stripes with.  Then you lay the vinyl down over the top.  Finally, you pull the wire out which cuts the vinyl.  I think it should work in theory.  If it doesn't turn out, I'll probably just go without a stripe.

Hmmmmmm......looks like you are onto something. IMO the 68 Dart was the best looking of all the a-bodies. I like where you are headed with this.

303 Mopar

Quote from: moparmadman69 on August 23, 2018, 08:45:07 AM
Quote from: Burdar on August 23, 2018, 08:24:20 AM
Hmmmmmm......looks like you are onto something. IMO the 68 Dart was the best looking of all the a-bodies. I like where you are headed with this.

Oh hell ya!!!  That looks great! What kind of suspension are you looking into?

Burdar

QuoteWhat kind of suspension are you looking into?

I can't afford anything crazy. It will just be large torsion bars, reinforced K and LCAs, upgraded rear springs and high quality shocks.  It definitely needs the frame tied together too. 

I've been going back and forth with what style frame connectors to use.  I originally wanted to use a bolt-on connector since I really have a hard time making permanent mods to these cars.  The MP bolt on connectors interfere with the parking brake cable and the factory torque boxes.  Other styles of bolt on connector are super high dollar.  The US CarTool ones look nice and I almost bought a set.  Then I realized that the brake/fuel lines on an A-body have to run through the same area.  There would be no way to install the lines in one piece after those connectors are welded on.  I'm now thinking I'll just buy some rectangular tubing and having that welded in.

Cudakiller70

Burdar

A few more pictures of when I brought it home and a little more history...

The car was originally from Nevada.  I believe a younger gal was the original owner.  I'll have to look back at my paperwork be positive.  I could definitely tell this car didn't spend its entire life in Iowa.  I think I only broke one bolt during the disassembly.  I lost count of how many fasteners broke while disassembling my Challenger.

At some point the car was sold and came to Iowa.  The new owners had the seats reupholstered but either lost interest or other things got in the way.  Unfortunately the car sat for quite awhile in a lean-to with the top down.  That didn't keep the weather off the car...at least not for very long.  The interior was in very poor shape when I bought it.  The person I bought the car from said a raccoon jumped out of the trunk at him when he opened it for the first time.  The carpet had been removed before I got the car but you could tell that the interior had gotten really wet.  The floor was covered in a layer of rust, the seat springs looked really rusty and the smell was pretty bad.  The void between the trunk extensions and 1/4 panels was completely filled with dirt.  The space between the rocker and 1/4 panel(directly under the 1/4 windows)was completely filled with dirt as well.

Door strikers on both sides were broken.(typical on A-bodies)

Spare tire well had a good layer of rust in it but surprisingly it was solid with no holes.

Engine compartment didn't look too bad after being hosed down.

Capacities and tune-up specs were printed on a label maker and affixed to the firewall.

Cuda Cody

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Burdar on August 23, 2018, 10:45:23 AM
QuoteWhat kind of suspension are you looking into?

I can't afford anything crazy. It will just be large torsion bars, reinforced K and LCAs, upgraded rear springs and high quality shocks.  It definitely needs the frame tied together too. 

I've been going back and forth with what style frame connectors to use.  I originally wanted to use a bolt-on connector since I really have a hard time making permanent mods to these cars.  The MP bolt on connectors interfere with the parking brake cable and the factory torque boxes.  Other styles of bolt on connector are super high dollar.  The US CarTool ones look nice and I almost bought a set.  Then I realized that the brake/fuel lines on an A-body have to run through the same area.  There would be no way to install the lines in one piece after those connectors are welded on.  I'm now thinking I'll just buy some rectangular tubing and having that welded in.

Just a thought, if you use the USCT connectors just reroute your fuel & brake lines to stay inboard of the connectors...   The reason the factory ran the lines out to the rocker are was to protect the lines if the car high centered...... The frame connectors would protect the lines just as well.....   I realize that means the stock drop in lines won't fit anymore but honestly they are pretty easy to fabricate & the money saved by buying bulk line rather that prefabbed will offset the cost of the USCT connectors....   

You would still need to deal with the parking brake cable but that shouldn't be to tough...

Burdar

All new stainless lines were purchased a few years ago.  I think the easiest thing is just to make some with rectangular tubing.  Someone here posted pictures of their setup.  They ran the tubing into the front and rear frame instead of just welding it to the outside.  With good looking welds I think it will look fine.  That will leave some space above them to get the lines in.  Still thinking about it though.  I just hate welding on a permanent piece.  I know it's just a 318 car a no one will ever want to bring it back completely stock but it's still a convertible.