veryhot_post in Pro Touring 68 Dart convertible in Your Restoration project (ROSEVILLE MOPARTS) Author Topic: Pro Touring 68 Dart convertible  (Read 13917 times)

Offline Jocigar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Small Block
    • Share Post
xx in Pro Touring 68 Dart convertible in Your Restoration project (ROSEVILLE MOPARTS)
Re: Pro Touring 68 Dart convertible
« Reply #120 on: September 13, 2021, 06:54:24 AM »

Trying to learn.. did they spot weld the edge of the door to add material and close the gap ?

Offline Burdar

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Six Pack
    • Share Post
xx in Pro Touring 68 Dart convertible in Your Restoration project (ROSEVILLE MOPARTS)
« Reply #121 on: September 13, 2021, 08:50:26 AM »
Yes.  On my Challenger they welded a small rod to the back of the doors and then ground it back to get the gap right.  I assume the same thing was done on the Dart.  The Dart has a fixed cowl that adds complexity as well.  The top of the door, cowl and fender all have to match.
CHAL2 in Pro Touring 68 Dart convertible in Your Restoration project (ROSEVILLE MOPARTS)OWEN in Pro Touring 68 Dart convertible in Your Restoration project (ROSEVILLE MOPARTS)DART in Pro Touring 68 Dart convertible in Your Restoration project (ROSEVILLE MOPARTS)

Offline Burdar

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Six Pack
    • Share Post
« Reply #122 on: October 13, 2021, 09:37:37 AM »
Haven't been to see the car in a month.  I need to get back over there sometime soon.  They have been sending me videos but not many pictures.  The car has been blocked a couple times and is almost ready for sealer.  The engine compartment has had a few rust pits filled, sanded and is ready for sealer.
egn1 in Pro Touring 68 Dart convertible in Your Restoration project (ROSEVILLE MOPARTS)

The reproduction gas cap I bought didn't fit right.  It sat at least 1/8" below the surface of the 1/4 panel.  At the Mopar Nats, I looked at a lot of A-bodies and most of them had the same issue.  The funny thing is that the aftermarket cap that came with the car fits fine.(it has a junk plastic handle on it though so it won't be used)I'm not sure what they ended up doing to fix it but it fits much better now.
cap2 in Pro Touring 68 Dart convertible in Your Restoration project (ROSEVILLE MOPARTS)

cap1 in Pro Touring 68 Dart convertible in Your Restoration project (ROSEVILLE MOPARTS)

The bumpers have been fitted.  The front bumper fits ok but for some reason there was an issue with the rear.  It sat up way too high and hit the body just below the tail lights.  There is supposed to be a 3/8" rubber filler below the lights so the bumper needed to be lowered about 1/2".  Variations with the AMD bumpers vs original?  A half inch seems like an awful lot.
bum2 in Pro Touring 68 Dart convertible in Your Restoration project (ROSEVILLE MOPARTS)

bum1 in Pro Touring 68 Dart convertible in Your Restoration project (ROSEVILLE MOPARTS)

On the home front I've been working on the rear end housing.  The housing is painted...I'm just waiting on a friend to have time to help me set up the gears in the center section.  Once the housing was painted I turned my attention to the leaf springs.  I've got a set of MP oval track springs with "0" arch.  They had crappy thin paint on them from the factory so I wire wheeled that all off and re-sprayed them with a semi-gloss black.  I was curious about the original springs and if they had any paint markings on them.  I have a bucket of EvapoRust so I soaked the front spring eyes for an hour to see if anything showed up.  EvapoRust is magic.  Look at those paint markings!  Now I want to try it with my original Challenger springs.
spring2 in Pro Touring 68 Dart convertible in Your Restoration project (ROSEVILLE MOPARTS)

I know the springs aren't the factory ones but I still like the look of factory paint markings so I couldn't help myself.  I added the markings to the new leaf springs and even the torsion bars.  I used Testors model paint and mixed different colors together to match the colors I found on the original parts.
spring1 in Pro Touring 68 Dart convertible in Your Restoration project (ROSEVILLE MOPARTS)

bar1 in Pro Touring 68 Dart convertible in Your Restoration project (ROSEVILLE MOPARTS)

E-Bodies Cuda Challenger Message Forum

« Reply #122 on: October 13, 2021, 09:37:37 AM »

Tags:

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter Share via whatsapp

xx
1968 Dodge Dart GT Convertible AZ craigs

Started by mopartaz

0 Replies
Last post May 01, 2020, 02:31:48 PM
by mopartaz
xx
1968 Dart GTS 340 convertible project NH craigs

Started by mopartaz

2 Replies
Last post August 18, 2020, 08:00:54 PM
by jimynick