Main Menu

A.G.A.R. The one that got away....

Started by anlauto, May 02, 2019, 06:22:32 AM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

Today, May 2nd marks the two year anniversary of one of AGAR's darkest moments. :crying:

I'm proud to say that I've always finished what I've started when it comes to most things in life, but always when it comes to car projects...EXCEPT this one.

Two years ago today I had to give up on this project and ship it back to the owner in California....This was one of my favorite builds and also the most extensive. Starting with what appeared to be a decent 73 Barracuda soon turned out to be a total rot box....but after extensive metal work a really nice 1971 HEMICUDA clone was starting to take shape...

Check out the Indy built, all aluminum 572 fuel injected Hemi  :drooling: backed by a 5 spd Tremec and a Dana 60 rear end....Aftermarket Dakota Digital dash, AC, power windows, all LED lights etc...etc...

The car was supposed to be painted black with a black vinyl top, black leather interior and of course black billboards...but we never got that far... :'(

After spending lots of money, the owner was losing interest and running out of money....figured it was okay NOT to pay me on time and let a debt of over $23K build up for three months....

Sadly I had to pull the plug and call it quits....The car was sent back to California...

In a very sad turn of events....When the car arrived in California via TFX transport, NOBODY was there to claim the car...the driver tried for two days to get a hold of the owner, but nothing. The car was dropped off at a storage yard and was sitting outside....About a month later, the TFX driver was back in California and recalls seeing the car still sitting there  :crying: :crying:

So if anybody around that part of the world knows anything about this car, I would love to hear an update...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

RUNCHARGER

That Indy 572 was probably going to cause a lot of grief anyway.
Sheldon

cordodge

Sure would have been nice to see you complete that one Alan.

Cuda_mark

It amazes me how irresponsible some people can be with their money. I mean, sometimes life happens but this one just sounds like a guy that got in over his head.

How has this changed the way you do business @anlauto? Do you demand cash up front for work to be done? Or do you vet your clients differently now?

Seems like you should have been able to keep the car as payment for the bad debt.

dave73

That's crazy he never picked the car up. Looked awesome before it was even done

js27

Wow, Hard to believe he just left the car sit there. Maybe the money wasn't legal and he is now in jail. That would explain why the car is just sitting there. I am sure he could have sold it and re coupe some money. Like the old DOORS song say " PEOPLE ARE STRANGE'
JS27

anlauto

Quote from: Cuda_mark on May 02, 2019, 07:55:07 AM

1>How has this changed the way you do business @anlauto? Do you demand cash up front for work to be done? Or do you vet your clients differently now?

2>Seems like you should have been able to keep the car as payment for the bad debt.

1> Not really changed the way I do business, but I am a little bit picky when it comes to picking customers and the cars I do...I won't just restore anything. I've always asked for $5000 CDN up front to hold your spot in line FULLY REFUNDABLE until the car arrives. Then I work out of that $5K until it's gone. I invoice at the end of each month and expect to be paid within a few days...if it goes past 15 days I stop working on your car.

2> The car was going nowhere until the bill was paid, that was understood. His bond had expired and I had the broker contacting me about returning the car to the States, but as soon as I said there was money owing he jumped on my side.  I would have been happy to keep his car...I actually offered him $73K ($50K plus the $23K owed) for it before it left, he turned me down

anlauto

Quote from: ErikR on May 02, 2019, 08:04:55 AM

How has this changed the way you do business @anlauto? Do you demand cash up front for work to be done? Or do you vet your clients differently now?

Well he's been vetting me for 10 yrs lol.

From a customers perspective - I think he knows a lot of his customers from over the years and of course it ultimately comes down to alot of trust on both sides.  I'd say long time Mopar guys are lower risk.

Now stop pining over the big fish that got away, I need progress pics of you doing a burnout in my car!  :D

Oh yeah April invoice payment sent this morning.

Actually I haven't known a lot of my customers for years....I've discussed restoring your car with you a lot before we actually met...However you're right If a person is active in our little Mopar community it makes it easier....I try to stay active here to stay honest... I think I have 5 active E-Bodies.org members that are past or present customers so I'm pretty certain  they'll keep me in line...

If ErikR doesn't pay his bill on time, you all will be the first to know.... :haha: JUST KIDDING :drinkingbud:

SYDWAZ

I have followed Alan"s projects from the days of the barrelcuda. Last sept. I contacted Alan about doing my AAR. I think he was floating in his pool with a drink when he took my call. We made arrangements to visit him . My wife and I got to tour his almost famous basement, after the tour we signed up and it has been smooth sailing ever since. After seeing the price of the new tires , I will get back to you about doing a burn out. 

Brads70

Bummer, looks like a sweet build.  :('   Some people , money is like water I guess?

HP_Cuda

Either the guy farts $$$ or most likely from illegal sources.

I remember a person who was a few years older in HS and he was a major dealer and was dumping huge $$$ into a Porsche. Well the cops got him before he finished and off the car went to auction.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

dave73

It would be an awesome story to find the car and have the new owner have you finish it. Bring it full circle

anlauto

Yea....that would be cool....in two years I've heard zero from the owner or anything about the car.