Main Menu

SE tail panel re-anodizing and repainting

Started by KZ, April 16, 2018, 11:44:22 AM

Previous topic Next topic

KZ

Hey folks, I FINALLY found a SE tail panel that fits my car without needing any metal work done. However, I want to have the panel re-anodized and repainted to match the quality of the car. Does anyone have a name out there that can do this correctly?

Thanks

Cuda Cody

If you do it yourself you most likely will have to find someone to do the anodizing and a different person to do the painting.  I'm going to guess it's not going to be cheap. 

I'm not sure if there is one person or company that does it all.

anlauto

You could strip the old paint off yourself to save a few bucks :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

KZ

hato

there is 2 places i know this guy does great work but is pricey upwards of Nos cost.
the 2nd place told me around $300-700 if its badly damaged that was last year when they were upgrading there website and facility both are in the midwest hope this  helps you out.
http://special-ts.tripod.com/

http://www.mcbrestorations.com/

GY3R/T

I've used Special-t's before with undesirable results. ::)  I've used King of trim in California many times with great results. :ohyeah: But they have been under new ownership. :notsure:                    King of trim can give an estimate if you send pics and desribe what you want. You don't have to send your panel to them to get an estimate.    :alan2cents:

DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

Just polish up the bright with Mother's compound and a buffing wheel, steel wool the paint , tape off and respray yourself.  No problems.

Brads70

Quote from: KZ on April 16, 2018, 12:10:22 PM
Yes, I could do that,

I had a go at trying it myself. I'm satisfied with the results. Maybe it will help you if you try to do yours. Can't quite tell if yours is argent or black?
https://forum.e-bodies.org/body-shop/5/-cleaning-up-a-argent-1970-challenger-grill/69/msg1793#msg1793

DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

OK Brad........your trunk lock is not under the panel it is holding the center of the panel......I have to rethink mine.........its under..

anlauto

His looks under to me  :dunno: I don't think they'll go on top with out a lot of persuasion :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

1 Wild R/T

It's supposed to cover the lock.... The hole isn't nearly big enough to put the lock through....

DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

Found a couple more pics of the tail panel where I was messing around....

1 Wild R/T

The thing is it's hard to find the trim clips for the bottom edge, so some guys file out the lock hole so the lock secures the center area pretty effectively...

And honestly, it looks like it should have, instead of how the factory built it....

DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

When you refer to the trim clips on the bottom edge............??? the only thing holding mine on is 5 screws under the trunk lid and 3 clip/studs on both ends.........nothing on the actual bottom edge above the tail light housings......