Main Menu

Finally Restoring My 1970 ‘Cuda

Started by cashmoneyerick, October 09, 2018, 03:03:42 PM

Previous topic Next topic

HP_Cuda

Btw, if you need any 4 speed work done - Pete's Gear shop out of Hayward has done great by me!
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Topcat

Quote from: cashmoneyerick on October 10, 2018, 08:40:36 AM
So the plan is to remove everything, we are trying our best to label everything and keep everything together and then have it media blasted.

Does anyone know of a place in the SF Bay area and also an idea of the price to get it media blasted?

Myers Sand Blasting does entire cars.

860 Moorpark St, Oakland, CA 94603

PRMG+3Q Oakland, California
myerssandblasting.com
(510) 638-0444

@B5fourspeedfish did his there.

cashmoneyerick

Quote from: HP_Cuda on October 22, 2018, 10:35:05 AM

Btw, if you need any 4 speed work done - Pete's Gear shop out of Hayward has done great by me!

I'm actually debating whether I want to keep everything original or throw a modern engine in there.

It has a 340 but it is not the original motor.

But thank you for the recommendation !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cashmoneyerick

Quote from: Topcat on October 22, 2018, 12:00:31 PM
Quote from: cashmoneyerick on October 10, 2018, 08:40:36 AM
So the plan is to remove everything, we are trying our best to label everything and keep everything together and then have it media blasted.

Does anyone know of a place in the SF Bay area and also an idea of the price to get it media blasted?

Myers Sand Blasting does entire cars.

860 Moorpark St, Oakland, CA 94603

PRMG+3Q Oakland, California
myerssandblasting.com
(510) 638-0444

@B5fourspeedfish did his there.

Thank you. I will reach out to them!

cashmoneyerick

Does anyone know how much a 340 engine goes for ?

RUNCHARGER

It really depends on a lot of things. The biggest issue is how much it has been bored out, then there is casting date, heads, current condition etc.
IMO a 340 isn't in as much demand as they used to be except for someone looking for a correct engine for their restoration. The cheaper, faster way to do a smallblock these days is a stroked 360 roller cam setup.
Sheldon

cashmoneyerick

Just a little update on the car. Was sent to go get media blasted. Hopefully it comes back in one piece [emoji28]

I sent it to Myers Sand Blasting in Oakland, CA.
Will keep everyone update with the results.

Does anyone know where I can get it primered afterwards to prevent any additional rust ?

And here are some before pictures. Can't wait for the after.

Happy holidays everyone !

cashmoneyerick

Just a little update on the car. Was sent to go get media blasted. Hopefully it comes back in one piece [emoji28]

Will keep everyone update with the results.

Does anyone know where I can get it primered afterwards to prevent any additional rust ?

And here are some before pictures. Can't wait for the after.

Happy holidays everyone !

Topcat

Quote from: cashmoneyerick on December 25, 2018, 10:13:00 PM

Good progress.   :cheers:

I'm sure Myers will get you a referral.

redgum78

Nice project!
Normally the media blaster could throw a bit of etch primer on the car to stop surface rust. It really needs to go on it straight away,

I would also get them to blow and vac out the media from the car. The stuff gets in everywhere. They will normally have decent equipment for blowing or sucking most of it out.

Topcat

2 things work well for removing media:

Lawn Leaf Blower: Air Volume

Followed by

Compressed air w/CDA filter: Pressure

Repeat as necessary.

usraptor

I hope you took the windshield and rear window out before they media blast.  When I had my Cuda media blasted they shot it with a primer to keep the metal from rusting.  Like everybody has said you can never shoot enough pictures, and write notes with drawings.  It took me 9 years to do my restoration and by the time I started putting it back together my memory of "I'm sure I'll remember where or how this part goes" was long gone.  When referring to the hundreds of pictures I taken I sometimes found that while I had numerous picture of a particular part, I did not have a picture of the "angle" that I needed.  So take pictures from all angles.  That's where the internet and especially the great people on this forum came in to save the day.  As has been said buy numerous plastic totes and a few storage racks.  Label the storage totes, ie "interior", "brakes", "engine", "trunk", "transmission", "dash", etc. and put the corresponding parts "bagged and tagged" in each tote and store on the racks.  It makes it much easier to find the parts when restoring them and reassembling the car.  You can see the pics of my restoration at the link below.  Hopefully they may help.   Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. 

70 Challenger Lover

This will be a really cool project for you and it can be loads of fun if you approach it the right way. Another bit of advice I will offer is this.....do not stall along the way or you will become the guy with the 10 year restoration project. I've been there. Most of us have. Enjoy life, spend time with your family, but set aside a little time each week for the project so you don't lose momentum. Once you lose that, it's hard to get moving again and that's when you start forgetting the simple little things you didn't bother to photo. Momentum is key in these big projects and you seem to have it right now.

This may sound anal but it really works for me. I make a list of things to do. I keep a second list of things I need to order like sealer, gaskets, etc. It sucks when you are held up on something waiting for a $2 dollar gasket to arrive in the mail. Better to dismantle the steering column on Sunday, order parts you need that night online, and have them ready for you the following weekend when you feel like cleaning, painting, and reassembling. When things get really slow at work, I take a few minutes to update my lists. At night after work or on a day off, I pick something off the list to work on. You will be surprised by how much gets finished. There are some days you will be frustrated on the car and it's nice to step back and work on something different like repairing a center console and this way momentum is maintained. Truthfully you don't really need a list but I find that seeing something in writing on a to do list makes me feel like I really need to get it done. Keeps things moving along.

I have an extra room in my house so as I get things restored, I wrap them up and store them safely away along with the attaching hardware and gaskets. One less thing to deal with later on. And it always seems to be around this time you realize your missing a bolt or clip so you add it to your other list so you can get that dealt with before the final reassembly. As you spend little bits of spare time restoring lights, console, gauges, seats, etc. etc., it creates a lot more room in your garage and also gives you a feeling like things are really moving fast.

I find metal work is enjoyable and saves a ton of money but body work is absolute misery. I can do it but I think I'd rather work overtime at work and pay someone else to do that crap. Don't be afraid to try some things on your own to save money. You can have a $50k project real fast paying people to do everything. People in here will help and encourage you to try much of it yourself. Pay to do stuff you simply cannot do (like sandblasting) and attempt what you can.

Have fun and ask tons of questions. Nice bouncing ideas off people in here.

cashmoneyerick

Hey everyone.
Finally got the car back from the media blaster.
I want to say that they probably didn't do the best job. There were some places that it looked like they didn't blast thurally, but I have the car back and have primered most of it. Looks like I have a real project ahead of me.

aussiemark

I would have removed the steering column before blasting.