Main Menu

Finally Restoring My 1970 ‘Cuda

Started by cashmoneyerick, October 09, 2018, 03:03:42 PM

Previous topic Next topic

HP_Cuda

From the pictures, it seems that you will be buying a good deal of replacement metal because it will be cheaper than fixing and bondo'ing what you have. The A pillars, the firewall, the cowl (upper and lower), frame rails, etc. I dumped about 8-9 grand in metal and my frame rails were better than yours and I still replaced the front passenger side rail.

Not trying to scare you off of the project but trying to be real on whats in front of you. I just took on a new job and I am doing a large amount of foreign travel so my time is somewhat scarce now. If you have any friends that are body folks you could enlist their help.

Good luck on the project,
B
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

nsmall

@HP_Cuda if you happen to have some of those photos of that car that you completely had to have gone through maybe post some.

HP_Cuda

I think you mean these photos.

nsmall

@cashmoneyerick  check out the HP Cuda's photos and quiz him.   He has a really good idea what it will take.

Thanks for the photos HP

anlauto

Only takes two things...time and money  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

aussiemark

HP Cuda did that car have to go on a frame jig before the panels went on? how much can be removed before you need a jig? assuming the rockers and roof structural members are solid.

HP_Cuda

You definitely need one if you are doing frame rails which it looks like you do.

I think the order mine went in was: floor pans out & replaced, firewall off & replaced, cowl replaced,  then quarters off, then trunk pan replaced, then tail pan replaced, drop offs replaced, inner & outer wheelhouse replaced(one side), then quarters on, then onto roof skin and lastly front fenders. I did later replace the passenger side front frame rail when someone tried to do a bondo job (yep pick went right through) and get away with it. It went on the frame jig and replaced that rail.

I'm probably forgetting a few pieces but that's the majority of it.

cashmoneyerick

Hi everyone.

Just got some parts from AMD. a bunch of sheet metal.
I'm not sure if I should start a new topic. But look at this picture from the floor pan. Not sure if the metal should look like this. If it's normal?

What do you guys think ?

This is on the corner of the floor pan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JS29

Hammer and dolly time, harbor freight has them. You will need them anyway.  :alan2cents:

HEMICUDA

Quote from: anlauto on June 16, 2019, 03:12:35 PM
Only takes two things...time and money  :alan2cents:

I totally agree with you on this one Alan, however, I want to add one more, "talent".

cashmoneyerick

Little update pics on my restoration project. Before and after.

soundcontrol

Looking good! Just read the whole thread.

JS29

cashmoneyerick

Here are a few more progress photos. Girlfriend and I just had our first baby so i had to slow down on working on the car. But hopefully i pick it up soon again. Most of the heavy body work is done. Still need a few patches and fixes here and there, but its coming along.

anlauto

Wow this is a massive project, but the results look amazing so far  :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration