Main Menu

Steering column recommendations

Started by b5cuda, September 04, 2018, 01:46:40 PM

Previous topic Next topic

b5cuda

Hello everyone, I'm doing a cuda resto mod – started with a '73 shell that needed tail, quarters, and front end.  Since it was a base model and needed everything, and I had mostly '70 parts, I'm rebuilding it as a '70.  But I'm wondering which steering column to go with – '70 or later?  Is there any difference other than locking mechanism, and is the wiring interchangeable?  Thanks for input! 
Bill

Cuda Cody

If you're building a 1970, I would go with a 1970 column.  The lockout is different and some other small things.  But if you found a great deal on a 71+ column it will work perfectly too.

anlauto

Opposite opinion here....because it's a resto-mod I would go with a 1971+ steering column and eliminate the steering column lock out linkage, it will likely only get in the way of your bigger exhaust, 5 speed transmission, etc....

I just did this very same thing with a 70 Challenger resto-mod I built.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

b5cuda

Thanks Cody and Alan, great advice - you guys are the best!

Cuda Cody

gzig5

Don't know if you are close, but there is a column on Chicago Craigslist.  No idea what year and looks like the end has been trimmed but maybe it would get your started.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/pts/d/mopar-dodge-challenger-cuda/6663138905.html

anlauto

Quote from: gzig5 on September 04, 2018, 06:29:26 PM
Don't know if you are close, but there is a column on Chicago Craigslist.  No idea what year and looks like the end has been trimmed but maybe it would get your started.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/pts/d/mopar-dodge-challenger-cuda/6663138905.html

A little pricey considering the shaft has been cut.

To answer your other question....YES all the wiring is the same from 1970-1974.

If you're thinking aftermarket front suspension with rack and pinion.....you might want an aftermarket column.....The owner of the resto-mod I just did wished he had of put tilt steering in it as well.....something we might actually do down the road.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

ledphoot

My restomod is going to use an IDIDIT aftermarket column.. If they ever get around to delivering it.. Been waiting for four months so far. :)

I was joking with the vendor today that they should change their name to IDidn't

b5cuda

Thanks for the confirmation on wiring Alan, and the lead on a column.  I already have a later steering column in my stash of parts so sounds like that is the way to go, at least for now.  I am staying with OEM front suspension, 5.7 engine, OEM 4-speed.  Still a long ways to go!

Topcat

There is one difference on 70' vs. the rest of the years.

The courtesy key light system.

70' is like a tube that funnels the light to where the key is.

71' and up is an actual light bulb inside a small cylinder cap with a green lens. 

61K T/A

Also the shaft bearing mod can't be done on the 70 because of the lock out linkage. Will only work on 71-74 columns. I still have my original steering column in case I ever wanted to make my car back to original again.