Main Menu

1970 Challenger Convertible U code

Started by Crocha617, June 03, 2017, 03:54:14 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Crocha617

So I got my latest project blasted today. Wow what a mess....next time I'll need a much bigger tarp...

larry4406

Not sure but I think you need floor pans ;)

Crocha617

Quote from: larry4406 on June 03, 2017, 04:26:45 PM
Not sure but I think you need floor pans ;)
You are quite observant not everyone would've noticed that....I cut them all out previously. Did you notice the upper cowl is missing too..?

RUNCHARGER

I think any job from now on will be better than that job.
Sheldon

71GranCoupe

Lots of work ahead, but will be worth it when done. Do you have the upper cowl yet?? Reason I asked, is last year when I ordered a bunch of metal from Dave, the cowl was out of stock.   :headbang:  The ones with the clip in grills were in stock, but the screw on ones were not. I had to wait until like this Jan/Feb to get one. If you have it you are good, but if not, you may want to do some checking. I use to check AMD's site once a week until I was able to pin one down.

Keep us up to date with the build/progress.  :cheers:

Cuda Cody

Love seeing a car blasted for the first time.  Get to peek at what is good and what will need work.  But you are right, it's a messy job.

1 Wild R/T

I've always taken my cars to someone, don't want the mess & doubt my neighbors would either.... I've don't a total of four cars one was done with garnett & three were glass beaded... Never paid more than $600 to have a car done, not worth my time & effort for that.. I do chemically strip the exterior body panels so they don't have to blast the exterior body much... I have the jambs, engine compartment, bottom of the car, interior, & whatever other areas that are hard to access.... And I have the exterior lightly blasted to remove whatever residue stripping left but everything comes off easily so there's no risk of warping body panels...

Finoke

Car will be ready for Carlisle right?   :bradsthumb:

Brads70

Looks like a nasty job! Hope it was not a hot day! Did you find any hidden surprises?

larry4406

What media are you using for blasting?

Crocha617

To answer a few questions:
He used crushed glass. He was a dustless blasting guy but he decided it would be a better finished product doing it dry. It cost me $600.  As far as doing it in driveway it wasn't the best idea but there really isn't anyone near me I could send it to. Everyone seems to be mobile. I was able to blow it off and vacuum it up and get the majority of it epoxy primed yesterday. I have an AMD upper cowl on the way. The lower cowl has more little holes then I thought but is saveable. The trunk now has some soft spots. I thought it would need a couple  of small patches but it may need to be replaced. I may try and section it we'll see.

RV2

Crocha617

Quote from: RV2 on November 07, 2017, 03:59:12 PM
Any updates?
Do you have a before pic?

Before pictures

Crocha617

Repaired lower cowl

Crocha617

Fitting the new floor pans.