Main Menu

1970 FE5 'Cuda Build

Started by 1970Cuda, January 10, 2017, 04:42:03 PM

Previous topic Next topic

RUNCHARGER

Even doing small components moves things forward.
Sheldon

1970Cuda

A quick project update:

I made a mid-year "New Year's Resolution" - To work on my project for at least 4 -6 hours per week.

The good news is that I've been doing well on this resolution, and made considerable progress.

1. Purchased from one of members on this site both a much-needed performance hood and scoops/bezels (excellent price and quality I might add).

2. Acquired a Whirly Jig from my friend who's never used it to assist in my rotisserie project (attempting to register it now). (I need to purchase wheels for it in order for me to flatbed the 'Cuda over to the media blaster. Plus I need to purchase the instructions on how to assemble it w/o hurting myself or my project!)

3. Found my painter and body craftsman.

4. Pulled off most of the stainless (drip rails, roof rail molding, etc.), except for the front windshield and rear window stainless. Removed the last of the interior pieces and now finishing both the rear removal and, once one the jig, the front K-member and suspension. (I'm not sure if the jig can support that much weight, but I'll ask the folks first at Whirly Jig.)

Q: So, I'm a neophyte when it comes to removing stainless, and I don't know where to start to remove the front and rear stainless on the windows. So any tips on this would be appreciated. (The service manual is totally useless ... )

Here's a couple of pictures ... look at the original paint under the original Vinyl top. The FE5 looks brand new! And no rust.

When I finally get the 'Cuda on the jig, I'll post that too! - 1970Cuda

Cuda Cody

Thanks for the update @1970Cuda   :twothumbsup:  Things will start to go fast once you get the car on the rotisserie. 

As for removing the trim, most guys make their own little tool like the one in this photo.  There's clips that you release be sliding it under the trim.  After you do the first one or two you'll get it down and it will go quick.  Found this video, but it's not for a cuda.  It will give you a little idea of what you're looking for.

1970Cuda

Hi Cody - As I mentioned in my PM to you, I really appreciate the technical assistance on removing the trim. (I tried my new trim removal "tool," but it's still not correct. Part of the enjoyment of the hobby is learning new skills.)

My real update for today is that my MoPar buddy and I really got to it over the weekend and removed all the suspension.

I'm including new pictures. Very pleased about getting it down to nearly a shell. Just have the glass, doors and fenders to remove. All reasonably painless items.

Making some real progress now.  8)

Rev-It-Up

Rev-It-Up

kjwalters

Great build keep up the good work!

Cuda Cody

Looks like you're making good progress.   :)  You might try getting some window clips and seeing how they clip in.  Once you see the clip in person you might better understand how the trim clips in and clip out.

Quote from: 1970Cuda on June 26, 2017, 04:38:15 PM
Hi Cody - As I mentioned in my PM to you, I really appreciate the technical assistance on removing the trim. (I tried my new trim removal "tool," but it's still not correct. Part of the enjoyment of the hobby is learning new skills.)

Aar1064

When you get ready to remove your glass, a B string for an acoustic guitar works great. Poke it thru, tie a wood handle on each end and saw through the sealant. Takes two people but shouldn't take long.

1970Cuda

A quick update ...

So, based on Cody's great tool suggestions, I was able to build my own and remove the front windshield and back window stainless moldings.

Also removed the door window regulators and windows/tracks, and the door latch. Question on re-installation of the door components. The order seems to be:

1. Install the door latch mechanisms.
2. Install the regulator.
3. Install tracks along with the window.
4. Install the stops, felts, etc.
5. Install the weather strip, etc.

If someone has a suggestion for another order, would you please post that for me? Thx.

Removing the quarter windows this week and regulators there too. Oh and the back glass too. That's the last that needs to be removed. 

I hate to have to replace my guitar B string (High E, B, G, D, A, Low E), to remove a window. I think I'm going to replace the glass with tinted anyway. Does someone make the rear glass tinted or is that really necessary to replace it with tinted if the rest is replaced, or would it look weird to leave it clear?

Very soon, the 'Cuda is going to the soda blaster, washer and then copper rust removal. I'll post a new picture when it's on the flatbed.

Thanks for your posts and great feedback ...

1970Cuda

Latest Update:

First, I want to say thanks to "USRAPTOR" for providing me with the link for the door glass window assembly/removal. I was able to remove everything successfully. One of my ideas is to replace the glass with tinted glass all around. I'm not there at all yet, but the photos were very helpful.

Second, and some good news here, I finally had my 'Cuda moved over to Cal Blast in So. Cal. (soda/paint removal and a copper-medium rust and bondo removal). Should take approximately two to three weeks to complete.

I'm posting a few pictures to show the latest progress report.

On another topic, my body craftsman spoke to me about paint and bodywork quality. My goal is to take the car to a No. 2 condition. On the paint, he's suggesting that I use water based paint vs. solvent (both two-stage of course). Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. (I personally am leaning toward PPG solvent based, but I'm staying open minded).

Now comes the chore of cleaning and fixing and re-anodizing all the parts. The tedious work (LOL)!

More to come and thanks for the feedback.

Cuda Cody

Water base and solvent base each have their advantages.  Solvent based is going to give you a larger palette with more vivid colors.  The downside to solvent is it is very sensitive to number of layers (coats), overlap and metallic's flopping.  Water base on the other hand is super stable and very easy to match.  The metallic's stay suspended in water base and are much easier to spray.  Any repair work is very easy to match with water base too.  As long as you have the water base paint code you can pretty much get a perfect match anytime.  The downside water base is it's hard to get vivid colors and sometimes can not come very close to matching the vivid old school colors.  So it really depends on the color you are shooting.  Have you painter to some test spray outs in each and you should be able to find the one you like best.   :alan2cents:

1970Cuda

Hey Cody, great feedback. I'm not overly familiar with water based paints and I know you paint your own cars, so I trust your opinion. I'm going to take your suggestion and test both of them. Might cost me a little, but I'd rather make a good choice than be disappointed with the outcome.

I knew that solvent based tended to fade quicker over time and that water based were more stable. My painter did give me the skinny on both paints, but I wanted to also do some independent research too. As all my cars are garaged most of their life, so I'm thinking that fading would be reduced. I'm still leaning towards solvent based, but I think I'll take the guess work out of it and see how "vivid" each type is before I choose.

Thx again for the suggestion.

1970Cuda

Another short update ... body is at repair artisan.

The 'Cuda just came back from the soda/copper slag blaster (Cal Blast, Upland, CA). Much of the body shell was good except the normal problem areas, re: inner fenders, quarter panels, trunk and extension. Looks to be quite typical rust and corrosion. Fortunately, the front/rear windows areas don't have corrosion, nor do the doors, frame rails, etc.

I already have my list for Roseville Moparts for the sheet metal, and hopefully Dave can steer me in the right direction on these.
Below are a couple of photos. The hood, doors, back/front valance are all sealed. We're sealing the body today.

Still deciding on whether to paint it with solvent or water-based PPG. I'm still leaning towards solvent.

Exciting to see progress being made!

Cuda Cody

Thanks for sharing the photos.  It's a super exciting time right now.   :banana:  The has just begun.