Main Menu

1970 FE5 'Cuda Build

Started by 1970Cuda, January 10, 2017, 04:42:03 PM

Previous topic Next topic

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

usraptor

Now the fun starts.     Body work and restoring all the various parts, etc.   :twothumbsup: Your car looks really familiar to what mine did like a few years back. Boy am I glad I'm past that point.  Well I still restoring a few things, but the paint, body work and interior are basically done. 

Topcat

@1970Cuda 

Any updates on your progress?

Happy New Years! 

1970Cuda

Happy January everyone!

So, it's been a while since my last update, but the build has been progressing at a pretty fast clip.

In short summary, the inner fenders have been replaced (removing the original factory spot welds and replacing them with new welds with the replacement inner fenders). As well, sealant has been applied. See pictures.

Also, the body has had a few, small, superficial body dings removed from the radiator support lower section. We chose not to use any body filler, which costs more of course. See pictures of this work.

Next you'll see the interior sealed. There was actually very little surface rust on the interior, so this was cleaned thoroughly and a few pin holes repaired and sealed.

Finally, the rear trunk, quarter extensions and quarters are being test fitted and almost ready to be installed. My body craftsman said we really needed to hang the doors to ensure proper alignment for the quarters and trunk pan. I just had my hinges rebuilt (arrived today, 01/18), and I'll run those over to him so that we can start proceeding on this sheet metal.

In the meantime, I was hoping to begin getting all the K member and front-end suspension parts cleaned and re-assembled in anticipation of installing those components at his shop after painting, but I'm getting somewhat of a slower start due to the need to find new employment (company downsizing and all that economy stuff). 

The ultimate goal is to have a rolling chassis by June/July 2018 time frame. I think that's very achievable.

Check out the pictures and let me know if you have any questions or suggestions for improvement. I'm always looking for positive feedback, as a lot of you are far more adroit at restorations than I am.

Best, LCD

Cuda Cody

Nice job!  Looks like it's moving forward nicely.    :woohoo:

Roadman

Just awesome work.   :perfect10:

1970Cuda

February 2018 Project Update:

For the past few months the primary goal of the project has been to finish all the body restoration and, in the meantime, make a full court press to have all the undercarriage components ready to install to ensure a rolling chassis by mid- to late-Summer. We are anticipating painting the vehicle around April or perhaps May 2018.

Undercarriage/suspension:

To that end, I've been taking all the front and rear suspension components apart, having them cleaned and then painted with a chassis black for the bulky parts or those that were supposed to be painted. For the bolts and other piece parts, I've had those cleaned and then clear zinc plated. In some cases, I've used the black oxide kit myself to coat the parts, but I've been told that this process is not as permanent as plating. I'm attaching a picture of some of the work thus far. Still have some parts in the pipeline. Were indicated, I've purchased new components - e.g., torsion bars, boots, etc. - and will dry install all parts prior to assembly on the vehicle after painting.

Unfortunately, I'm still missing a few parts and am searching for those. In particular, my body craftsman said the hood hinges that I purchased recently were bent and that I need to find a new, good used set, so anyone who knows of a good set of E-body hood hinges for sale, please let me know.

As always, I appreciate the feedback and words of encouragement. Best of luck on your project as well!

anlauto

You left the inner sleeve of the lower control arm bushing on the lower control arm shaft. If you're using stock replacement bushings, that sleeve will need to be removed :alan2cents: , however I believe some aftermarket poly urethane bushings require you to keep the sleeve on there. :thinking:  I guess it depends on what direction you're going :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

1970Cuda

Hey, thank you for the feedback. I am planning on using an aftermarket kit for at least some of the parts (I have some original NOS parts that I'm planning on using too). So I'll remove the sleeve and just retain it if needed.

Much appreciate the comment.

nsmall

I had resto rick restore my hinges and they work great now.  I can get you his contact info or anyone else with experience can recommend or not recommend him.  I really appreciate his work. He was good to me. You will have to send him the hinges.  Get @Roadman on the hunt for a set of hinges.

Car is looking good.  Looks like you are going all out.

1970Cuda

Hi All,

A quick update for everyone - the body work is mostly done, with the quarter panels being spot welded in place, the post part of the panel finished and the final fitting being done. Soon the body will go onto the Whirly Jig for final welding. See picture below. It doesn't look like much progress, but there has been some in the last four months.

Also, the hood, fenders, etc., are being prepped to paint and will be painted separately from the body.

In the meantime, I've been completing the front suspension and mocking it up and completing the rear suspension too, so that when the body is finished I can assemble the suspension and have a rolling chassis to transport home.

The goal is to have it home slightly later than anticipated, around October 2018.

Question: I've been wanting to install the torque boxes onto the body now and wanted to obtain reader feedback on the most authentic parts available for E-bodies. Any suggestions from my fellow restorers?

Thanks and enjoy your restoration projects!

1970Cuda

Hi All,

A quick update - car is now in primer for final block sanding (guide coat), which the painter said will be completed this month.

I've finished the front end build, new torsion bars, upper and lower control arms cleaned and painted, etc., and now starting on the rear axle housing and 3rd member. I'm taking pictures as I go along to ensure I can replicate as much as possible of the factory markings.

My goal is to finish this by November. I already have all the leaf springs, new shackles and front hangers, and now it's a matter of the housing being cleaned and painted and the axles being inspected and 3rd member being inspected and rebuilt.

The ultimate goal is to have a rolling chassis by early next year.

Keep the faith! - 1970Cuda

RUNCHARGER

Good progress! You're mostly through the ugly jobs now. I sure prefer assembling clean stuff as to cleaning, grinding and sanding.
Sheldon

nsmall

Your cuda looks amazing as it sits right now.  Congratulations on the progress :bradsthumb:

Topcat

My old hood on it.   :drinkingbud:

Feels like a part of me in his car.