Main Menu

1972 'Cuda (FY1) - 5.7L Hemi, T56 Magnum

Started by GoodysGotaCuda, January 07, 2017, 02:22:29 AM

Previous topic Next topic

303 Mopar

Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on November 19, 2017, 07:50:36 PM
It's all turn-key but I tweak on things pretty frequently to creep up on it being "dialed in". I'm an engineer, by nature it'll never be "good enough"  :thinking: :haha:

Traction control and decel fuel cut is what I've been playing with lately.

I'm curious where your decel fuel settings are set.  I had this issue with my 392, and found out the boneheads at Mopar turned off the fuel cut off on decel thus overloading the engine with fuel and backfiring.  I ended up enabling @ 1 mph and disabling @ 127 mph which was the highest mph, fuel on @ 950 rpm and fuel off @ 2500 rpm.

I also connected the fans to run off the engine harness, but had to change the settings because Mopar originally had these at fans on low at 214 degrees and high at 226 and this just pegged my temp gauge so I was not able to tell if I was overheating or not.  I changed settings to fans on low at 180 and high at 190 which now keeps my temp gauge right in the middle.

We did try to adjust the timing from 12 to 14 degrees which only bumped the Hp from 361 to 365 and Tq from 387 to 393 at the wheels.  This was not that big of jump so we went back to 12 degrees.

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: 303 Mopar on November 20, 2017, 11:33:30 AM
It's all turn-key but I tweak on things pretty frequently to creep up on it being "dialed in". I'm an engineer, by nature it'll never be "good enough"  :thinking: :haha:

Traction control and decel fuel cut is what I've been playing with lately.

I'm curious where your decel fuel settings are set.  I had this issue with my 392, and found out the boneheads at Mopar turned off the fuel cut off on decel thus overloading the engine with fuel and backfiring.  I ended up enabling @ 1 mph and disabling @ 127 mph which was the highest mph, fuel on @ 950 rpm and fuel off @ 2500 rpm.

I also connected the fans to run off the engine harness, but had to change the settings because Mopar originally had these at fans on low at 214 degrees and high at 226 and this just pegged my temp gauge so I was not able to tell if I was overheating or not.  I changed settings to fans on low at 180 and high at 190 which now keeps my temp gauge right in the middle.

We did try to adjust the timing from 12 to 14 degrees which only bumped the Hp from 361 to 365 and Tq from 387 to 393 at the wheels.  This was not that big of jump so we went back to 12 degrees.

My settings are as shown, but I do not have a Mopar ECU. What thermostat are you running?
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

YellowThumper

Fully comprehend the "they are never finished" mentality.
Moldmaker, programmer and designer by trade. Always looking at the next fabricating item on the list. Too many at tangents at times and it clouds my progress.

Awsome to see yours out on the road.
Most likely we will be out your way again next summer with my daughters basketball. Will try and work something out to see it in person.

Mike
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

303 Mopar

Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on November 20, 2017, 04:44:04 PM
My settings are as shown, but I do not have a Mopar ECU. What thermostat are you running?

I have the locked Mopar PCM so my adjustments are limited but shown below.  I swapped the 202 t-stat for a 190.

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: 303 Mopar on November 21, 2017, 07:39:41 AM
Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on November 20, 2017, 04:44:04 PM

I have the locked Mopar PCM so my adjustments are limited but shown below.  I swapped the 202 t-stat for a 190.

Are you able to get to the fuel map?

Fuel overun cut isn't required for the engine not to backfire. A carb will continue to pull fuel as air is passing through, it'll just be leaner, an EFI setup doesn't have to be different as it has a map sensor for the load axis reference. I just now turned my fuel cut on only to save fuel, I had it running at 15-16:1 during engine braking off of the fuel map alone...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: YellowThumper on November 20, 2017, 08:48:15 PM
Fully comprehend the "they are never finished" mentality.
Moldmaker, programmer and designer by trade. Always looking at the next fabricating item on the list. Too many at tangents at times and it clouds my progress.

Awsome to see yours out on the road.
Most likely we will be out your way again next summer with my daughters basketball. Will try and work something out to see it in person.

Mike

I am not a programmer but I like to dabble. I've wanted to setup an arduino in the car to perform various functions, nothing critical but I am not sure that'll make it on my actual to-do list.

If you end up in town, let me know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

roguedc72

Actually if you measure carefully taking into account the "bulge" of the side of the body, you can get the same result with 3 jack stands, one at the front frame rail even with the front of the door, one at the rear under the frame rail just behind the front mount for the rear spring,the third goes under the drip rail of the roof when it's up on it's side. Takes a lot of measuring but once the stands are positioned as the car goes up it counter balances on the stands and sits lightly on the roof rail. Yes, it sounds sketchy but I did the entire bottom of my challenger, stripping,sanding and painting while it sat on the stands,more stable than sounds.

GoodysGotaCuda

2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Cuda Cody

Very nice power!  And that is REAL rear wheel usable power.  What's the blip around 2,600 rpm?

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: Cuda Cody on December 29, 2017, 01:39:09 PM
Very nice power!  And that is REAL rear wheel usable power.  What's the blip around 2,600 rpm?

Probably when I actually get to WOT.
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

cudaragtop

- Randy D. 1970 'Cuda 340 4-Speed Convertible
69 Barracuda G3 Hemi/8HP70 Resto-Mod Project Album: https://goo.gl/photos/XjsAsx4LDo7psimU8

Cuda Cody

dodj

I'm an engineer, by nature it'll never be "good enough"  :thinking: :haha:

...or,  it doesn't have enough 'features' as my engineering friends like to say.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

moparcar

That's a nice dyno pull. Such a great car you've built. Now its ready for the Whipple or Kenne Bell.....ha....

Thanks for sharing.

Wes

RUNCHARGER

You've really built a nice streetable car. And yes rather than a Hellcat package you can easily just supercharge what you have if you become bored with it in the future.
Sheldon