Main Menu

1972 'Cuda (FY1) - 5.7L Hemi, T56 Magnum

Started by GoodysGotaCuda, January 07, 2017, 02:22:29 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Brads70

I spy what looks to be a Ford fuel inertia switch. I bought one too awhile ago , and have yet to install it.
Question is , does it matter how its mounted? Like does it have to be orientated in a certain plane to work properly?  :notsure:

Cuda Cody

Holy smokes, you're doing great man.   :clapping:  thanks for the update.  Already looking forward to seeing more.  Keep up the good work.

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: Brads70 on February 05, 2017, 07:22:53 PM
I spy what looks to be a Ford fuel inertia switch. I bought one too awhile ago , and have yet to install it.
Question is , does it matter how its mounted? Like does it have to be orientated in a certain plane to work properly?  :notsure:

Usually they are vertically mounted in the cars I have seen [I pulled this one at a junkyard]. Also, have it fixed to a rigid part of the chassis, not on flimsy bracket. This one is setup on the ground circuit of my "main" relay. If it trips, it cuts power to the ECU, fuel pump, injectors and coils.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Brads70

Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on February 06, 2017, 04:14:16 AM
Quote from: Brads70 on February 05, 2017, 07:22:53 PM

Usually they are vertically mounted in the cars I have seen [I pulled this one at a junkyard]. Also, have it fixed to a rigid part of the chassis, not on flimsy bracket. This one is setup on the ground circuit of my "main" relay. If it trips, it cuts power to the ECU, fuel pump, injectors and coils.

Thanks, good to know!  :twothumbsup:

GoodysGotaCuda

It's not much, but I have been able to do some electrical validation on select circuits. I'll pin-out the ECU pin-by-pin before applying power to it. All else that I can check at this stage is functioning as it should.

There are signs of life!

2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

usraptor

Quote from: Brads70 on January 22, 2017, 07:46:52 PM
Hat's off to ya brother! Electrical is so NOT my thing. I'd be so lost/frustrated doing what your doing.

x2  OUTSTADNING JOB ON YOUR 'CUDA!  I'M JEALOUS OF YOUR SKILLS! :twothumbsup:

GoodysGotaCuda

Working through the gauge cluster modifications. I need to whip up a design to 3D print for the speedo retention. Once I get that in and clean a few areas up, I will prep the housing for some SEM coating to give it a semi-factory appearance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Cuda Cody

Looking good!  Can't wait to see the cluster all done.     :lookatthat:

GoodysGotaCuda

I sent out for a 3D part to be made in order to mount my speedometer well in the stock dash. We will see how it turns out.

Wiring is getting closer as all of the lights are functioning. Just a short list left of connections to make before I can final wrap the harness.

2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Cuda Cody

Great progress!  Can I ask why the underside of the roof is black?

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: Cuda Cody on March 03, 2017, 07:47:52 AM

Lizard skin ceramic coating, to reduce the solar load on the interior. The lower half of the firewall and complete underside of the car is also coated.

2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Cuda Cody

Very cool.  Was it easy to apply?  How do you like it compared to the adhesive applied sound deadeners? 

Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on March 03, 2017, 08:41:58 AM

Lizard skin ceramic coating, to reduce the solar load on the interior. The lower half of the firewall and complete underside of the car is also coated.

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: Cuda Cody on March 03, 2017, 08:56:30 AM
Very cool.  Was it easy to apply?  How do you like it compared to the adhesive applied sound deadeners? 

Very easy to work with. Performance wise I bet it's on par thermally with stick on butyl. It may come short in NVH compared to the butyl, but it's substantially lighter.

I expect the thermal gains on the lower half of the firewall to do me quite well. It is keeping the heat into the engine bay, instead of trying to keep the hot sheet metal from getting to me.

The firewall feature line near the coil pack height is textured with the lizard skin coating. It's hard to tell it's there and looks somewhat like the factory could have done it that way.

2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

GoodysGotaCuda

I should be able to get working on the dash in a week or two using this new part.

I'm still pecking away at progress on weeknights after my daughter goes to sleep. Major power wiring is nearly buttoned up. There are significant ground and charge wires available to ensure I don't have issues down the road.

2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Cuda Cody

That looks soooo clean!  Nicely done!   :banana:

Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on March 03, 2017, 09:49:49 AM
Quote from: Cuda Cody on March 03, 2017, 08:56:30 AM

Very easy to work with. Performance wise I bet it's on par thermally with stick on butyl. It may come short in NVH compared to the butyl, but it's substantially lighter.

I expect the thermal gains on the lower half of the firewall to do me quite well. It is keeping the heat into the engine bay, instead of trying to keep the hot sheet metal from getting to me.

The firewall feature line near the coil pack height is textured with the lizard skin coating. It's hard to tell it's there and looks somewhat like the factory could have done it that way.