Main Menu

70 Challenger Conv. Restomod. 6.1 Hemi

Started by soundcontrol, January 18, 2017, 12:52:46 PM

Previous topic Next topic

soundcontrol

That part is done. Will never rust again, during my lifetime at least.

Chryco Psycho

YellowThumper

Wow that looks great. sooo much great work there.

Mike
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Dakota

Just picked up this thread.   I'm really impressed with the work you've taken on and accomplished.   Most of the welding I've done has been with a MIG, and most of that has been on my back too.   Keep up the great work!

soundcontrol

Thanks guys! I just picked up a MIG also, I can't get the TIG to work well on the plugwelds, MIG is quicker and easier there, I tried a lot to do spotwelds with the TIG, (with no hole) works great on a bench when you really can press the 2 pieces together really tight, but in real life, on your back under the car its hard to do properly. So I will use the MIG for plugs and the TIG for buttwelding.

YellowThumper

Do you have a thumb wheel on the tig? I did not see foot pedal.

Thanks.

Mike.

soundcontrol

Quote from: YellowThumper on November 30, 2017, 06:33:08 PM

Thanks.

No thumbwheel, I have a foot pedal, but I can often not use it in weird positions, so I just set the amps and use a slow pulse, and moving faster when it gets hotter.

YellowThumper

Quote from: soundcontrol on December 01, 2017, 02:51:26 AM
Quote from: YellowThumper on November 30, 2017, 06:33:08 PM

Thanks.

No thumbwheel, I have a foot pedal, but I can often not use it in weird positions, so I just set the amps and use a slow pulse, and moving faster when it gets hotter.

Thanks and now more questions....
Do you have arc start when touching tip? Continuous start arc?
Just curious. Been tigging for many years but am about to do some panel replacing for the first time on another project car. Have been trying to Tig but I am becoming a better grinder than welder... Auto welding is clearly a different animal.

Mike.

soundcontrol

Quote from: YellowThumper on December 02, 2017, 08:53:31 PM
Just curious. Been tigging for many years but am about to do some panel replacing for the first time on another project car. Have been trying to Tig but I am becoming a better grinder than welder... Auto welding is clearly a different animal.

No, I have an electronic start, I think it's called HF, creates a spark when I push the button, works great. (When I forget to connect the ground clip, I still get the spark, but no arc). I wish I had a thumb wheel though, since I'm never in position to use a foot pedal. But it works without one also. I have only been TIG welding for a couple of years. I find the welds to be smaller and easier to grind than MIG/MAG welds, I like the control with the TIG, (as I like the speed of the MIG).  I know most people uses MIG/MAG but I saw that many pro's use TIG for panel welding so I went that route. I still have not done big panels, I will, soon. Ordered new AMD quarter skins just now, so I have a 5-6ft long weld to do when I get those, that will be a challenge. Gonna try to do as long runs as fast as I can, with a copper backing.

Mickm

I'm just finding your thread and am very impressed with your work. Personally, this is my favorite part of a build. It's long hard work but it's very satisfying to know what you have done, while never really seen by others, is right and there for good.
Keep up the good work.

Cheers!
Mickm

soundcontrol

Quote from: Mickm on December 03, 2017, 02:25:26 AM
I'm just finding your thread and am very impressed with your work. Personally, this is my favorite part of a build. It's long hard work but it's very satisfying to know what you have done, while never really seen by others, is right and there for good.
Keep up the good work.

Cheers!
Mickm

Thanks Mickm! I like the bodywork also, I'm a newbie on it, so I'm learning as I go, I don't really care right now if the car looks perfect on the outside, with nice paint and so, it will get there in time, but if its rusty inside, I can't deal with that, makes me crinch  :D
Check out my thread about the quarterpanels in more detail, and why I dissed the ones I have and orderdered new AMD's from MoparDave.
https://forum.e-bodies.org/body-shop/5/cut-the-quarters-or-not/1339/msg66635#msg66635

YellowThumper

Quote from: soundcontrol on December 03, 2017, 02:09:51 AM
Quote from: YellowThumper on December 02, 2017, 08:53:31 PM

No, I have an electronic start, I think it's called HF, creates a spark when I push the button, works great. (When I forget to connect the ground clip, I still get the spark, but no arc). I wish I had a thumb wheel though, since I'm never in position to use a foot pedal. But it works without one also. I have only been TIG welding for a couple of years. I find the welds to be smaller and easier to grind than MIG/MAG welds, I like the control with the TIG, (as I like the speed of the MIG).  I know most people uses MIG/MAG but I saw that many pro's use TIG for panel welding so I went that route. I still have not done big panels, I will, soon. Ordered new AMD quarter skins just now, so I have a 5-6ft long weld to do when I get those, that will be a challenge. Gonna try to do as long runs as fast as I can, with a copper backing.

Thanks again. I am in process of replacing a large floorboard section. Combination of spot on correct lap areas but there will also be cumulative sum of 6 ft of butt welds also. Unless I Improve greatly in short order MIG is will take over.

For your panels. With TIG you will still need to weld many short lengths while moving around to let cool.

Mike.

soundcontrol

Quote from: YellowThumper on December 03, 2017, 12:38:59 PM
For your panels. With TIG you will still need to weld many short lengths while moving around to let cool.

I have been told not to move around from real pro's thas been doing this for 40+ years. Weld as long as I can in one "take" (excuse my soundrecording lingo). Move pretty fast and even, as long as I can. Reasoning is that if I move around the panel will distort more. Any welding will cause shrinking to a point and its better and easier to deal with it on a long even weld than many heating and cooling areas. After welding I have to go over the weld with hammer and dolly to expand the shrinked part, and there is were the TIG weld is easier to hammer, not as high and softer.  I heard this from many bodyguys, not just one. Time will tell if it is good advise, its gonna be exciting!

Found this video by Eastwood on the subject. They talk about that @18:50
https://youtu.be/9jusDPVfEVs

Thats a good video, I'm watching the whole thing, lots of good tips, at 35:35 he is welding with no filler rod, thats what I want with my quarter skins, challenge will be to cut the old and the new skin exact all the way, not an easy one.

YellowThumper

Ok then... learn everyday. Sure it all depends on heat applied.
I will watch the vids as well. Thanks.

Mike.