Main Menu

70 Challenger Conv. Restomod. 6.1 Hemi

Started by soundcontrol, January 18, 2017, 12:52:46 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cuda Cody

Shrinker / Stretcher?  Harbor Freight makes some cheap ones that do okay.  http://www.harborfreight.com/metal-shrinkerstretcher-set-68897.html

Here's a guy using one...

soundcontrol

Thats a good tool, I will get those, not for this, but for my next project. This ridge is like the one I made in the trunk patch, (before I decided to change the whole trunk floor), but it has a curve in it. I made a tool to press that.

Cuda Cody

Nice patch!  And then you didn't even use it?  Just replaced the whole thing?

I think a combination of an English wheel and then a Bead Roller could to the trick.  But not sure it's worth buying those just for a small job.  You seem to be advanced level at figuring out workarounds!   :clapping:

soundcontrol

Quote from: Cuda Cody on January 29, 2017, 02:08:27 PM
Nice patch!  And then you didn't even use it?  Just replaced the whole thing?

I think a combination of an English wheel and then a Bead Roller could to the trick.  But not sure it's worth buying those just for a small job.  You seem to be advanced level at figuring out workarounds!   :clapping:

Thanks! Yeah, I did that patch before sandblasting, after that some parts of the trunk floor was pitted and thin, so I decided to replace it completely. I'll try to make one with the tools I have. We'll see if I succeed  :thinking:

soundcontrol

Made a patch today, used the tool I made and a press, then added the curved part by taking a large bolt, cut it and rounded the end, used it with a hammer and a sandbag. It's not perfect, looks a bit bumpy but I think it will do. And, its gonna be under the inner fender braces, never to be seen again. If this was a V-code stock resto, I would get new parts.

Roadman

Quote from: soundcontrol on January 30, 2017, 03:49:29 PM
Made a patch today, used the tool I made and a press, then added the curved part by taking a large bolt, cut it and rounded the end, used it with a hammer and a sandbag. It's not perfect, looks a bit bumpy but I think it will do. And, its gonna be under the inner fender braces, never to be seen again. If this was a V-code stock resto, I would get new parts.

That's nice work .     :bigthumb:

Cuda Cody

Really nice Job ken!   That's going to fit nice and will be nice clean solid metal.  Superb work making that from a bolt, hammer and sandbag!   :clapping:

soundcontrol

Oh shit...I just bought another Hemi, a low milage 5.7 from a truck with all accessories. For the next project, couldn't help myself...

Cuda Cody

Nice find!  How did you come across that deal?

Quote from: soundcontrol on February 05, 2017, 04:13:38 AM
Oh shit...I just bought another Hemi, a low milage 5.7 from a truck with all accessories. For the next project, couldn't help myself...

soundcontrol

Quote from: Cuda Cody on February 05, 2017, 08:14:01 AM
Nice find!  How did you come across that deal?

I saw an ad online, so easy to buy stuff now, just a click and you bought a Hemi...  :D
They don't come around so often in Sweden, and shipping from US is expensive. So I figured, better to buy it now, even if my other car is years away from needing an engine. I decided though, new Hemi and a stock manual tranny.

soundcontrol

Just finished that corner, not perfect, but I'm getting better! Just gotta grind down the last weld on top.

Roadman

Nice work Ken.     :cooldance:

Cuda Cody

Great job Ken!!!!!! :clapping:   It's looking really good.   :twothumbsup:

Brads70

soundcontrol

Can anyone tell me what thickess the stock pans has, floor, trunk, firewall, inner fenders. And does the outer body panels has the same thickness?